64-bit Architecture

knewt

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2002
I just read this great <A HREF="http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,10350,00.asp" target="_new">article</A> about the differences between IA64 and x86-64. The Itanium architecture is far superior to the Hammer's x86 with 64-bit extensions in many ways, but the Hammer will likely have the advantage in the multiprocessing department with hypertransport. I wonder if the next version of Itanium will have an answer to this.

Listen to me now and forget me tomorrow

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
I wouldn't neccessarily say so. The current Itanium 2 chipset structure is that of nodes. I.e. each node contains its own memory bank with 4 processors per node. Some have argued that the sweet spot for the multiprocessing in a shared memory bus is 2 processors, not 4, while other stick to the idea of 4. The dedicated memory pocket structure of the Hammers is probably overkill and the main advantage is probably per-processor performance boosts due to the lowered latency, not due to dedicated memory.
As for Hypertransport, it is a lot more flexible than the current shared bus system however I cannot see it significantly outperforming the current node-based structure. Maybe Intel will use their own 3GIO in the future however, I think they only intent that to be a peripheral bus replacement. They'll probably be sticking with the shared bus architecture for a while.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

lichocpu

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
I'm not going to take sides, but i see 2 things on this article: 1) IA64 isn't going to be on desktops at accesible prices (<$600 per proccessor) in less than 3 years, and still, it would be for braggin' rights (i think)
2) Hammer seems to be just some sort of stopgap, kind of like a bridge between 32-bit code and 64-bit code that is still backwards compatible (without a big penalty hit) and that the 64-bit benefits won't be noticiable to desktops, cause no apps available today are really taking advantage of 64-bit binary code
3) All in all, it SEEMS that building AMD plataforms is cheaper than Intel's. That doesn't mean that they perform better, just that they are cheaper to build
4) in the end, IA64 is a 'real' 64-bit and I think could last longer, but it still needs some time

maybe im right maybe im wrong, but that's wat im getting from the articles

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
There a lot of thing to do in IA-64 as Itanium will move to 4way SMP it will overload it core even super wide Big mack.

Now what to do??

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
FSB type bus is dead it need a better tech integrade MCH add new trouble solve few.The node type was done for 64 and higher a 1000 way will huge a lantency.

Now what to do??

UDHA

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2003
hmm, that looks like an informative read, I'm getting over this big battle for cpu supremacy, video cards is where it's at :tongue: