Sign in with
Your question

External eSATA RAID device - Please help!!

Last response: in Business Computing
February 25, 2012 3:05:50 PM

I need help from someone who is an expert in RAID configurations and troubleshooting.

I have an IT company and am ashamed that I don't know more about RAID than I do. (please don't kick me while I'm a little down)

I have a customer that brought me his computer and external storage device because he couldn't access any of the data on the device after he upgraded a driver on his computer. Here is the equipment:

G-Speed ES external RAID storage device
link - G-SPEED eS - External RAID and JBOD Up to 12TB | G-Technology

HighPoint RocketRAID 2314 controller card
link - HighPoint-RocketRAID 2314

He has 4 X 3TB Hitachi drives in the G-Speed ES configured to RAID 0 for a total of a 12TB of storage.

When he brought the equipment to me, I uninstalled the RAID controller drivers and reinstalled them. When I reconnected the G-Speed, I did not connect it to the RocketRAID (which has the port multiplier technology). I instead connected it to the onboard eSATA. I went to Disk Management in the Control Panel (he has Vista), and a window popped up telling me "You must initialize a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it." I wasn't thinking, and chose "OK". Then, Vista initialized the disk with a MBR partition and the disk began showing up in Disk Management as 3TB of Unallocated Space.

I figured out that it needed to be plugged into the RocketRAID, but now when I plug it into the RocketRAID, the whole 12TB (actually about 11.2TB) is showing up in Disk Management as one drive with 12TB Unallocated Space.

It's a weird configuration to me, not the typical RAID setup. One eSATA cable connects from the G-Speed to the RocketRAID card, almost like a USB hub would connect and show multiple devices. When the one eSATA cable is connected, nothing shows up in My Computer, but as I stated above, the entire 12TB shows up in Disk Management as Unallocated.

I would appreciate any help from techs that know what they are doing with this. PLEASE do not just start throwing out things to try. I really need someone who is a genius at working with RAID and even the Port Multiplier technology, which I haven't seen before.

Thanks in advance!
February 25, 2012 3:52:08 PM

Since you reinitialized one of the drives you've destroyed the array and lost all the data.

It really shouldn't be set back up in raid 0. that's way to prone to failure.
February 25, 2012 5:04:17 PM

This is why using a RAID 0 array is never recommended for storing data. By reinitializing the drive it has lost part of the information of the array and the data is gone. However, some of the data from the drives may be recovered by professional data recover experts but be prepared, this is going to be expensive!
Related resources
February 25, 2012 5:16:07 PM

choucove said:
This is why using a RAID 0 array is never recommended for storing data. By reinitializing the drive it has lost part of the information of the array and the data is gone. However, some of the data from the drives may be recovered by professional data recover experts but be prepared, this is going to be expensive!

Hi :) 

VERY good advice...but you should have told him exactly HOW expensive.....THOUSANDS ...(several) with several drives to try recovering data from....and as the OP reinitialsed the drive, then legally its HIS cost not the customers....

If one of my employees did that.....he wouldnt work for me much longer...

All the best Brett :) 
February 26, 2012 1:09:47 AM

I agree, Brett. This is a pretty sticky situation for any IT company to be in. I know another tech company in my area that had this happen to them as well. Without the proper insurance, they were left up to the cost of recovering all of the data through Data Recover Services (approximately $5,000 for that) plus the lost wages and downtime that resulted from the lost data (another $5,000 at least.)

I am the owner of a small repair shop, and after hearing the above story from this tech company, one of the first things I did when starting my business was go to my insurance company and apply for the additional Technical Errors and Omissions insurance which helps to cover costs and damages associated with such errors as this above. I'd HIGHLY recommend any tech company or personal technician doing work to go and get this insurance. Yes, it's expensive, but it can save you a TON if/when something happens.
!