Complete Boot Failure

I recently built a new computer. I am using a Gigabyte 7AXVP mobo, Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB of PC 3200 Corsair RAM, and a Geforce 4. I've connected everything and double-checked jumpers, and the whole thing is running on a 430W power supply. However, when I try to boot, very little happens. The fans begin to spin (PSU, CPU and Graphics Card), and when I tried connecting a HDD I could hear it power up. However, nothing comes on screen, and I hear no POST beep codes. The speaker is connected correctly, so the only thing I can think of is that the processor is bad, so the POST is never reached. Anyone got any ideas?
3 answers Last reply
More about complete boot failure
  1. Is there a fan connected to the CPU fan header on the motherboard? A lot of boards will not boot without a fan connected there.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...
  2. do any of the leds on HDD or floppy come on or does it appear to be trying to access either of them? does it beep at you if you try to boot with no memory?

from the sound of it it could be processor or mobo if neither of the above happens, either processor or mobo can cause the "lack of anything useful to troubleshooting" symptom.

if you haven't done so strip it down to the bare essentials of mobo, processor, memory, and video and see if you can get anything just to be sure it's not one of the peripherals freaking out
  3. Did you read the FAQ? Most likley causes are:
    1.) Your system powers up for 2-3 seconds when you connect power or turn on power supply, but nothing else happens: solution-connect power switch
    2.) grounded board on spare mounting post
    3.) backwards IDE cable
    Read the FAQ

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Boot Failure