XP Start up error message

I wonder if you could help or at least advise me how I can rectify this
problem I have with my computer. I am running XP SERVICE PACK 2, on the
weekend I had a long message on the screen, at the end of this message it
said that it was dumping physical memory. After I had switched the computer
off and restarted it, all I got was a black screen, after a few minutes a
message came up “file missing or corrupt� <Windows
root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe please reinstall. After downloading the 6 sp2
boot disks and booting on startup, on the 3rd disk I received the message
“File SETUPREG.HIV could not be loaded. The error code is 4096..

I would be grateful for your feedback.

Hi Macca57

<Windows
root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is known to appear on boot volumes that are
excessively fragmented and caused the boot volume to be corrupted. You
have to defrag regularly especially when you have installed or
added/deleted large files. You may try to rebuild the boot config from
the recovery console,if you have the Windows boot disk or recovery
console installed.
bootcfg /rebuild
To know more about recovery console, try the link below.

http://www.jsifaq.com/subn/tip6500/rh6552.htm

Macca57 Wrote:
> I wonder if you could help or at least advise me how I can rectify this
> problem I have with my computer. I am running XP SERVICE PACK 2, on
> the
> weekend I had a long message on the screen, at the end of this message
> it
> said that it was dumping physical memory. After I had switched the
> computer
> off and restarted it, all I got was a black screen, after a few minutes
> message came up “file missing or corrupt� Windows
> root\system32\ntoskrnl.exe please reinstall. After downloading the 6
> sp2
> boot disks and booting on startup, on the 3rd disk I received the
> message
> “File SETUPREG.HIV could not be loaded. The error code is 4096..
>
> I would be grateful for your feedback.

Why are you using boot disks? If you have the cd, boot the machine
with the cd as the first boot device. This is done in the bios.

XP REPAIR INSTALL

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the
boot order in the system BIOS. Check your system documentation
for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the
Options below:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press
R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for
existing
Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and

press R to start the repair.

Warning!!

If the option to Repair Install is not available and you continue
with the install; you will delete your Windows folder and Documents

and Settings folder. All applications that place keys in the
registry
will need to be re-installed. You should exit setup if the repair
option is not available and consider other options.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and
reboot.
Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.
Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but
your
applications and settings will remain intact.

--
irvdk

TRENDING THREADS