File and Transfer Wizard Woes

After banging my head off the wall trying to rename a user account on a
new machine (see other thread), I decided just to create a new account
and transfer my files/settings to it.

When I run the wizard on the machine and try to transfer the settings,
I get the following error:

"Your migration store was created with a previous version of FIles and
Settings Transfer Wizard. Please collect your settings using the
current version of the [...] wizard."

(Well, it's a bit ****ing late to tell me this _afterwards_, isn't it?)

I then tried using the wizard directly from my Windows XP CD itself
(under "Perform additional tasks") This time, I get the error:

"The location that you specified does not contain stored information".

(I've seen this error before when the settings are tranferred between
machines of different service pack levels, but this is not the case in
this instance.)

Honestly, this is a joke. Whoever came up with this wizard should be
fired. Reinstalling/moving machines is something that many users have
to do at least annually, and I can't believe Microsoft makes it so hard
to do.

P.
2 answers Last reply
More about file transfer wizard woes

    Yup, that's all exactly what I did, and the files are present and
    correct. (The only difference being that the Settings folder is on a
    network share.)

    I tried copying the Settings folder to my C: drive (in cast the network
    share was the problem), but now I get the "The location that you
    specified does not contain stored information" error instead.

    Just to reiterate, the directory is C:\Settings\USMT2.UNC and has the
    following files:

    * img00001.dat
    * status

    P.

    1. After you have installed XP and your programs, open the
    Files & Settings Transfer Wizard and select "New Computer".
    2. Select "I don't need the Wizard Disk......"
    3. Browse to your CD Drive and insert the CD containing the
    "USMT2.UNC" file.
    4. Your Files and Settings will begin installing on the new drive.

    Note:

    The .DAT file within the USMT2.UNC folder should be named IMG00001.DAT
    There should also be a file named "status". If you have these two files within
    the USMT2.UNC folder, you should only browse to the "USMT2.UNC" folder
    when using the wizard.

    ==> Make sure your IMG00001 file is properly named: IMG00001.DAT

    You need to browse to the location of the "USMT2.UNC" folder. Do not browse
    to or select the IMG00001.DAT file, only the USMT2.UNC folder itself.

    For example, my location is: C:\Old Computer Files\Transfers\USMT2.UNC

    HOW TO: Use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293118&Product=winxp

    List of Programs Whose Settings Are Migrated When You Use
    the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304903

    Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    Dealing with corrupt Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (F.A.S.T) image
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fast.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "oceanclub" wrote:

    | After banging my head off the wall trying to rename a user account on a
    | new machine (see other thread), I decided just to create a new account
    | and transfer my files/settings to it.
    |
    | When I run the wizard on the machine and try to transfer the settings,
    | I get the following error:
    |
    | "Your migration store was created with a previous version of FIles and
    | Settings Transfer Wizard. Please collect your settings using the
    | current version of the [...] wizard."
    |
    | (Well, it's a bit ****ing late to tell me this _afterwards_, isn't it?)
    |
    | I then tried using the wizard directly from my Windows XP CD itself
    | (under "Perform additional tasks") This time, I get the error:
    |
    | "The location that you specified does not contain stored information".
    |
    | (I've seen this error before when the settings are tranferred between
    | machines of different service pack levels, but this is not the case in
    | this instance.)
    |
    | Honestly, this is a joke. Whoever came up with this wizard should be
    | fired. Reinstalling/moving machines is something that many users have
    | to do at least annually, and I can't believe Microsoft makes it so hard
    | to do.
    |
    | P.

Microsoft Windows XP