Sign in with
Your question

Slowdown problem - input please

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 5, 2003 2:30:22 AM

(I figure this is a bit off-topic but the network forum is really dead)

I'm using the following system:

Athlon XP 2000+
256MB 2100DDR RAM (Crucial)
MSI SiS 745 Ultra motherboard
WinME
60GB Western Digital HDD
GF2MX400 64MB
D-link 530TX+ 10/100 ethernet adapter

I had my new computer connected to my DSL connection for a week or so, no problems. Then I went home to visit relatives, and had the computer up and running without any network connection, no problems. Now I've brought it home, and when it is connected to my DSL connection there is variable system slowdown. There isn't slowdown when it isn't connected. Any ideas of why this happened? I'm guessing WinME.

[UPDATE]
Earlier the system wouldn't even reload with the network card installed, so I moved it to the bottom PCI slot and it was reinstalled by WinME, resulting in the OS booting up properly. However, there is still slowdown. Like when I load up www.cnnsi.com, there's lag when I scroll up and down, which shouldn't happen.

<font color=blue>
--------------------------------------------------
Guns kill people just like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
<font color=blue>

More about : slowdown problem input

January 5, 2003 5:59:07 AM

Well firs-off you shouldn't be plugging in anything into that top PCI slot - it shares an IRQ with your AGP. Otherwise, that slowdown is most likely due to WinME rearranging some component of your connection, since you weren't netwroked for a while. Chances are it changed some property settings for your ethernet adapter, unless its simply lag (yeah i know, but it does that sometimes)... Do you have filters on each phone ? I know its a silly question, but I had similar problems a couple of weeks ago, and then noticed that one of the phones had been plugged back in without a filter, since I haven't bought enough for all phones in the house yet.

Ahhh! It's 2003 and wait, whats this!? My computer didn't blow up! ... Well damn, there goes my new Athlon @ 333FSB and my inssurance claim... heheheh
January 5, 2003 6:31:05 PM

It's in the bottom PCI slot, not the top. Sorry for not being clear on that.

All phones have the filter on them. I guess it is the OS readjusting. It seems better now.

Thanks for the input.

<font color=blue>
--------------------------------------------------
Guns kill people just like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
<font color=blue>
!