How to determine whether ur CPU/videocard has died

AKAGil

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2002
Hi,
My system has died??..well it would not start...switch it ON and no display appeared..the HDD IDE Led was ON constant..not sure whether the videcard or the CPU has died...there were no burnt smell nor were there burnt marks on any of the parts - viceocard, CPU (can't really tell SLOT 1 SECC2), memory or on the mobo..
My system is
Pentium 3 850Mhz Slot 1
768MB Hynix memory 3x256MB
ASUS P3B-F mobo
ASUS TNT2 Ultra AGP
1x 40GB Western Digital HDD
1x 20GB Samsung HDD
SONY CDRW
Pioner DVD-ROM

I suspect it's videcard but unsure...could someone giv me some advice hot to check for sure...without taking it into computer repair shop...

Iron Man: Superior Attack

Disorganise

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2003
Pull out the video card completely. Switch on and the system should beep at you - normally 1 long beep followed by 3 short ones indicate no video. If you hear these (or any other) beep combination, the mobo has reached POST status and your CPU is working.
If you get no beeps, pull each component out one by one except the cpu and try again each time you pull something out. This should identify the faulty part. with no RAM there should be constant slow beeping (check that the speaker is connected too - does it normally beep once when you boot up?)

If no beeps come, then the CPU is suspect.
If beeps come, then put back the video card and re-try - sometimes this 're-seating' is sufficient to 'fix' the issue.

Good luck!!

Disorganise

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2003
oh and also - when the cpu is removed, the fans won't even spin up. This will give you a clue without opening the case!

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Out of curiosity...how would u pull the CPU out with the Case closed ?????

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I suspect either your motherboard or power supply. Anyway, I'd find another Slot 1 system (Coppermine compatable of course) and test the CPU and Video card in it, if you really think one of those are the problem.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wait, I just noticed you said your hard drive LED was on constantly? Try disconnecting the data cables to your hard drive and CD-ROM, and see if BIOS display (POST screen) comes up.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

AKAGil

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2002
Yea, I hav done most of the things mention...
no beeps when I switched ON
Took out the CPU system is bare nothing connected - Low tone beep, High pitch beep
CPU only - no beeps
CPU, memory - no beeps
CPU, memory, videocard - no beeps
Everything connected - no beeps..
------------------
Disorganise:
If u r right, well guess my CPU is RIP...ah CRAP!...
------------
Thanx all...hav learnt quite alot from this...
May need to consider getting a new mobo, CPU & gfx card I guess..

Anyone knows a mobo that has integrated gfx & an AGP slot too?

Iron Man: Superior Attack

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Original nVidia's nForce.....gas GeForce 2 MX400 built into it...and also an expansion AGP 4X Slot....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>