Unmovable_boot_volume

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Has anyone encountered the above error message? I am running XP home edition
and at startup I receive the blue screen with unmovable_boot_volume message.
I can not boot in safe mode etc. Any ideas as to what to look for to correct
this? Is it a registry problem, memory etc?? Any help would be appreciated.

--
Ray

Malke

Ray wrote:

> Has anyone encountered the above error message? I am running XP home
> edition and at startup I receive the blue screen with
> unmovable_boot_volume message. I can not boot in safe mode etc. Any
> ideas as to what to look for to correct this? Is it a registry
> problem, memory etc?? Any help would be appreciated.

Not many people have this problem. I've only seen a few references to it
by Googling, with no clear answers. Are you absolutely sure that is the
exact error message? It is more common to get an "unmountable boot
volume" error. You're quite sure you're not getting that?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

These may help. If not provide more information.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Unmovable_boot_volume&btnG=Google+Search

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Ray" wrote:
| Has anyone encountered the above error message? I am running XP home
edition
| and at startup I receive the blue screen with unmovable_boot_volume
message.
| I can not boot in safe mode etc. Any ideas as to what to look for to
correct
| this? Is it a registry problem, memory etc?? Any help would be
appreciated.

| --
| Ray

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

I am 90% sure but I will recheck. Thanks. Like you I found very little
information on this and don't even know where to begin??

Thanks

--
Ray

"Malke" wrote:

> Ray wrote:
>
> > Has anyone encountered the above error message? I am running XP home
> > edition and at startup I receive the blue screen with
> > unmovable_boot_volume message. I can not boot in safe mode etc. Any
> > ideas as to what to look for to correct this? Is it a registry
> > problem, memory etc?? Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> Not many people have this problem. I've only seen a few references to it
> by Googling, with no clear answers. Are you absolutely sure that is the
> exact error message? It is more common to get an "unmountable boot
> volume" error. You're quite sure you're not getting that?
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

I know this sounds like Bart Simpson offering PC advice, but have
you turned the PC off ?, allowed it to sit momentarily and then tried
to boot it again. I've seen some similar types of issues and by doing
a power off - the disk drive heads will park themselves. (Reset)
If you have a full fledged XP CD (not Restore/Recovery type) you
can boot to the Recovery Console and do a Chkdsk. It will inform
you of any errors present. As long as you have your critical data
backed up, you can proceed to do another Chkdsk with the repair
qualifiers /p /r.

"Ray" <Ray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am 90% sure but I will recheck. Thanks. Like you I found very little
> information on this and don't even know where to begin??
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Ray
>

> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> Ray wrote:
>>
>> > Has anyone encountered the above error message? I am running XP home
>> > edition and at startup I receive the blue screen with
>> > unmovable_boot_volume message. I can not boot in safe mode etc. Any
>> > ideas as to what to look for to correct this? Is it a registry
>> > problem, memory etc?? Any help would be appreciated.
>> >
>> Not many people have this problem. I've only seen a few references to it
>> by Googling, with no clear answers. Are you absolutely sure that is the
>> exact error message? It is more common to get an "unmountable boot
>> volume" error. You're quite sure you're not getting that?
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Thanks Dave. Those links yielded no information only a problem description
with no reply?

--
Ray

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> These may help. If not provide more information.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Unmovable_boot_volume&btnG=Google+Search
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Ray" wrote:
> | Has anyone encountered the above error message? I am running XP home
> edition
> | and at startup I receive the blue screen with unmovable_boot_volume
> message.
> | I can not boot in safe mode etc. Any ideas as to what to look for to
> correct
> | this? Is it a registry problem, memory etc?? Any help would be
> appreciated.
> |
> | --
> | Ray

OK but I'm still not clear on what exactly the problem is.