Dangers of Silver Thermal Paste

Nick_Grosswendt

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
Dear Fredi & THG Community,

Having used Tom's as my primary computer source since the mid '90's, this is my first attempt to contact, comment or post at THG.

I was horrified to see the gobs of thermal grease used in the Prometeia article.

Recently I was given an dead AMD 1400 that had all the surface resistors and jumpers shorted out with Artec Silver. It was smeared over the entire upper face of the chip.

Only 5 minutes work gave me a FREE (at the time) $90 CPU.

First I used Go-Gone on a toothbrush to get into the crevices, followed by rubbing alcohol on the toothbrush. I then used the same solvents on Q-Tips, and finally wiped with dry Q-Tips.

Using a toothpick is the best way that I have found to apply the minute amount of thermal paste needed.

Clean Computing!
C. N. "Nick" Grosswendt

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Yeah that is an excellent point that is often overlooked by first time HSF fitters using silver based mediums. And it is not just the CPU that stands to be affected this stuff shouldn't go near the motherboard or any other electronic component...

I remember the first time I applied thermal compound I got it everywhere :/ I was careless due to rushing, although I carefully cleaned up after my self and nothing was damaged ! And a final point is that if its a PIV there is no need to panic :p you can get it everywhere :eek:) (as long as it stays ontop)

Tim

ps: If its a silica based compound it shouldn't cause any damage... still it doesn't mean you should get it everywhere !

<font color=blue>Its winter now... So how come my CPU temp is still </font color=blue><b><font color=red>55C</font color=red></b>

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
The following link shows the most detailed instructions that I know of for applying thermal compound. All newbies, and even some not-so-newbies, should read this arcticle carefully. Print it out even!

<A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm" target="_new">http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm</A>

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

ryan_usmc

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
all the silicon compound you need on top of your processors core is a VERY thin layer, i use a razorblade to apply mine. The thermal silicon should be paperthin and ONLY on the processor core because its the only part that touches the heatsink. The purpose of the thermal compound is to transfer heat to the heatsink & fan, to much and your going to overheat because most of the heat is trapped by the thermal compound, to little and your not going to have a perfect seal between the core and the heatsink & fan. Its not something you want to take lightly if you value your cpu at all.

2.53 P4
Intel D845GEBV2
Gigabyte ATI Raedon 9700 Pro
Creative Labs Audigy
768MB DDR 333
Viewsonic VX700-2 Monitor - DVI
Yamaha 44x Burner w/T@2 technology

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
This was never a "How to apply thermal compounds correctly" Thread, although I suppose it can now become one, the main reason was to highlight the risks to electrical circuits from it !

Its not something you want to take lightly if you value your cpu at all.
And jeez you make it sound like rocket science !!! Ok yes it should be done carefully but it is a very easy process that anyone could do who RTFM's and takes a little time.

Tim

ps: I suppose my thing to add to the "How to apply etc..." is that a small laminated piece of card with a straight cut edge makes an excellent applicator and imho the best. It is hard and flat yet has give to allow you to work more easily.

<font color=blue>Its winter now... So how come my CPU temp is still </font color=blue><b><font color=red>55C</font color=red></b>

Phyrestar

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
This is going to sound really stupid, but im building a new computer for the first time and just bought an AMD 2600+ XP w/333 FSB OEM, and a thermalright SLK-800 heatsink. My question is, which Arctic Silver thermal product do i use to attach it to the CPU, the Paste or Adhesive? I tried browsing the sight and couldnt find a straight answer. I would like to not screw up on this job and was also wondering what the differences are between the two and what the two products are used for? Sorry for such a newb question.

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Although I they did not say it directly, thermal grease is used differently in sub zero evaporative cooling. It not only provides a conduit for transferring heat, but also an insulator for preventing condensation. The stuff they are using is non conductive so you could glop it on and it wouldn't make any difference as long as the tension between the HS and core was tight.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

Aidanoridania

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
you just have to put the thermal compound on the chip (the little square in the middle (not on the HSF!!) normally in a little thin layer. Just with a little cardboard or whatever that can "smear" it open

artic silver is the best thermal compound i know untill now

and NP and no worry for the newb question, i guess this forums are just made for this too as we all have been (or still are) newbs :wink:

<font color=purple><i> Enosi and I.... </i></font color=purple>

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Recently I was given an dead AMD 1400 that had all the surface resistors and jumpers shorted out with Artec Silver. It was smeared over the entire upper face of the chip.
I have used Artic silver on all of my Athlon (700, 850, 1000, XP1600+, XP1700+ as well as MP chips) and also various Durons. Some of them had the grease smeared over their surfaces (since I changed them a lot for different boards or setup) but none has failed or dead. Unless you were using fake artic silver or the cause of its death was something else, I think artic silver is non-conductive.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
the adhesive is an epoxy, if you attatch the heatsink on the cpu with it, you probly wont ever get it off. you want the paste.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
<i>Originally Posted by Aidanoridania</i>

you just have to put the thermal compound on the chip (the little square in the middle (not on the HSF!!) normally in a little thin layer. Just with a little cardboard or whatever that can "smear" it open

artic silver is the best thermal compound i know untill now

and NP and no worry for the newb question, i guess this forums are just made for this too as we all have been (or still are) newbs
Reply:
<i>Originally Posted by hoserb2000</i>

thanks a lot man

You guys are the best!
Erm ??? I'm sorry but did I miss something.... seems very odd... the 1st is a reply to a question that doesn't appear to be there, the 2nd is a thanks for it ??? maybe I am just loosing it ?

And Phyrestar as stated above you want to use the normal ASIII that is not epoxy. Epoxy is useful for attaching heatsinks to ram or other chips such as the northbridge on the motherboard. It can be used I suppose for a CPU but your never getting them apart after !

Tim

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
actually ArticSilver is not non-conductive. only that is has very high resistance.
My point is it cannot damage CPU the way the poster described.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.