Win XP won't shut down, keeps restarting

Seekie

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
I just installed win XP and it's great. The only problem is when I go to shut down the system, I select Shut Down and it goes through the shut down steps, goes to a black screen then reboots. The only way to power down is to shut off the power supply. (Which I know isn't a good Idea. Does anyone know What could be causing this. I checked my bios but didnt see anything that would cause this.
My system is:
Win XP Home Ed
AMD 2100 XP
Asus A7V333 MOBO
512 mb Ram
80 GB HD
I would appreciate any helpful advice
Thank You

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
Check your BIOS settings to make sure power management (ACPI) is enabled. Had similar issues and enabling it resolved them. Also check to see if it allows you to let the OS manage the settings (in BIOS).

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not 100% sure if it's the problem but by default, Windows XP is set to automaticly reboot on error (blue screen). Maybe there is a blue screen at shut down. Try deactivate the option in the "System" Control panel applet if not already done.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
Yes that too, good observation. Deactivate like they said and see if an error pops up upon shutdown. If so it should tell you what device is causing the issue and then you can go from there. ^5

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one"

Vince0000

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
My guess is you Installed Roxio Easy CD Creater but have not installed the latest patches...

Did you Install Adaptec Easy Cd Creater? If so did it start to happen around that time... Very common!

BTW use Nero {Smile}

Vince

jflongo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
My ACPI doesn't say enabled, it has S1/POS as the first option, and S3/STR as the second option. Currently it's set as S1/POS.

I have went into Start and Recovery and unchecked Automatically Restart. I don't have Roxio Easy CD Creater installed, I use Nero.

Anyone have an idea why this is still happening to me? I even upgraded my bios to the latest and it's still happening.

I'm using a Gigabyte 7VTXH Mobo, AMD 1600+, and 768MB PC2400 CL2.0 DDR Memory btw.

<i> If your computer is your best friend, maybe you should rethink your life.</i> :wink:

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Perhaps <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=220&highlight=windows+xp+shut+restart" target="_new">this</A> can help? :smile:

Bryan

pierrebsa

Distinguished
May 29, 2009

yea,it's also better to be young and broke than old and bent

pierrebsa

Distinguished
May 29, 2009

a second that but......it's better to be young and broke than old and bent

skreenname

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Some Dell's experienced this problem and it had to do with leaking capacitors. You might just want to take a peek and see if they look ok.

paisley09

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
If your required to login (if thats the way you set it up), try holding down the ctrl + alt + del immediately after powering it on and it should stop at the login screen. check the profiles and see how they were set up or try doing a search for automatic reboot, rebooting loop

xenomorph7

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Everytime I tried to shutdown the computer, using Win XP, it would go through the logging off..., saving your settings..., and shutting down... phases then it would blue screen and restart. I had Adaptec Easy CD Creator installed. It now shuts down just fine after I uninstalled both that and DirectCD. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS