Download problem

I have been using a new USRobotics 56K PCI Faxmodem (no controller)for about
6 weeks without any problems.
Yesterday I kept getting messages like "remote computer did not respond" or
it unexpectedly disconnected. When I finally did connect and tried to receive
e-mail, it disconnected after about 30 seconds. Modem log said "CD
dropped--Remote modem hung up. Modem status 00000030." Also FF "timed out",
and download of antispyware program stopped after a few seconds. Restart did
not help.After a system restore, the computer worked normally. I'm afraid
this "fix" is only temporary, because I had a similar problem a few days ago.
Norton Antivirus, Aluria Antispyware, Microsoft Antispyware, Ad Aware and
Spybot-S&D did not find any problems. I think it must be an xp problem.
System restore would not affect the modem, would it? Thank you for any
suggestions or guesses.
--
Heartland Nerd

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:639A056A-98FC-4427-8D86-B13E8EB2FF1C@microsoft.com,
Frank Jr <qtype@youtoo.com> had this to say:

> I have been using a new USRobotics 56K PCI Faxmodem (no
> controller)for about 6 weeks without any problems.
> Yesterday I kept getting messages like "remote computer did not
> respond" or it unexpectedly disconnected. When I finally did connect
> and tried to receive e-mail, it disconnected after about 30 seconds.
> Modem log said "CD dropped--Remote modem hung up. Modem status
> 00000030." Also FF "timed out", and download of antispyware program
> stopped after a few seconds. Restart did not help.After a system
> restore, the computer worked normally. I'm afraid this "fix" is only
> temporary, because I had a similar problem a few days ago. Norton
> Antivirus, Aluria Antispyware, Microsoft Antispyware, Ad Aware and
> Spybot-S&D did not find any problems. I think it must be an xp
> problem. System restore would not affect the modem, would it? Thank
> you for any suggestions or guesses.

Check with your ISP or your telephone service provider (TSP) for troubles
that they might have been having at that time. I'd be more inclined to check
their first and doubt that it's an issue with either the OS nor your
hardware. Sometimes it is but if the problem was "repaired" by a reboot then
it's more than likely the result of a bad connection. Pick up a phone on
that same line. Press 1. Listen. Do you hear any static? If so have your TSP
provide you with a noise test on your line if the problem continues. Beyond
that -- unless this happens all the time and does not go away -- see if you
have the same problems with another ISP. System Restore is unlike to have
any effect on the modem itself other than drivers and maybe INIT commands
that might have been changed though I'm not too sure that it'd even effect
those except the driver itself.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes