Pentium 4 2.8 w/HT

doctordetroit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2003
I looked on Intel's website for information regarding a 2.8Ghz P4 w/hyperthreading and no such creature exists. In addition, Intel seems to only advertise thier new 3.1Ghz P4 w/HT in conjunction with thier 845*, 850 chipsets, and not with the E-8205. Somehow, the E-8205 has to have some sort of cpu right?

If the new E-8205 chipset supports HT and dual DDR, what processor are we supposed to use with this chipset besides the 3.1? I saw the article "the iceman cometh" which used the asus p4g8x-deluxe and the 3.1Ghz p4, but nothing was mentioned about hyper threading?!?!

If we are supposed to be happy about the new E-8205 chipset, which processor are we also supposed to be happy about with hyperthreading if the 3.1 is 845-850 specific?!?!?

dr. d

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by doctordetroit on 01/06/03 08:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

doctordetroit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2003
Ok, but seriously, is Intel selling all these new chipsets to be 3.1Ghz specific? I'm confused and alarmed that the only solution for dual channel DDR using an intel chipset demands that I spend minimum $600 for a bleeding edge new CPU.

I'm likely to just ditch Intel and get an SIS chipset which is probably faster with DDR333 anyway.

Dr. D.

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
You can use a chipset that supports HT with a non HT CPU. It'll work fine, you just won't get the benefits of HT.

So if you want you can use a dual DDR i7205 board with a non-HT P4 and it will work fine.

-Col.Kiwi

UDHA

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2003
ohh so close, ditch intel, I like it :p nah, they do have great speeds, and they aren't any where near as hot as ah, compeditors cpu's. I know this isn't the place, but is that hyper(multi) threading that p4 is starting to use in that 64 bit athlon?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
d00d, get this. Hyperthreading was in the original specification for the P4. The Northwood you see around now with HT (3.06GHz)is actually following the original design plans (with a few bugs worked out). Here's how it goes:
1.) The P4 was SUPPOSED to have 512k Cache and Hyperthreading from the original design. But a .13 micron process was far from being ready in 2000, so they SCALED BACK the design to 256-bits, etc, for the old Williamette. Still, the i850 chipset supported it. So 2-year old RDRAM boards are the first HT enabled boards!
2.) Moving to .13 Micron allowed Intel to move to the original design specs of the P4. Therefor, even though the Northwood is newer, the basic design is older than that of the previous Willy P4. But programs were not making good use of HT technology, so Intel decided to disable it.
3.) The i845 was released for SDRAM as a low end solution to get more P4 CPU's on the market. Now, it really sucked, no reason to put HT on it, it was designed for the EXTREEM low end.
4.) DDR capability was added to the i845. It was actually planned that way from the outset, so the "new" DDR capable i845 really wasn't new at all, just "official". Release of the DDR i845 was probably delayed because of Intel's agreement with Rambus. And still, as a lower performance alternative to their high end i850/i850E chipset, no HT was included. Intel ALWAYS disables some feature on their low end chipsets to make the high-end versions look better.
5.) Intel falls out with Rambus because of market demand mostly, caves, and adds HT to the i845PE/GE chipsets
6.) The 7205 chipset is a workstation chipset, all worksstation chipsets have hyperthreading enabled, as workstations are more likely to use software that is enhanced by it.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>