Windows XP recovery without a restore disk -- VPR Matrix

I've got a VPR Matrix 6100 that did not come with a restore/recovery CD. I
need to reinstall XP. From what I understand the restore/recovery files are
on the hard drive somewhere, possibly in a seperate partition that doesn't
show up in explorer. Can anyone tell me how to access those files and do a
fresh reinstall? Thanks!

Greg
15 answers Last reply
More about windows recovery restore disk matrix

    Hi,

    If the computer does not have a restore/ recovery CD by default, there
    should be some specific key combination to access the recovery files from the
    hard drive during the startup. The computer manufacturer will be able to help
    you on this.

    Regards,

    Arun Aluvila

    The vendor tech support or the userguide that came with the computer
    would be the correct source of this information. It is not a Windows XP
    function or matter determined by Microsoft and is vendor specific.

    DamaskFalcon wrote:
    > I've got a VPR Matrix 6100 that did not come with a restore/recovery CD. I
    > need to reinstall XP. From what I understand the restore/recovery files are
    > on the hard drive somewhere, possibly in a seperate partition that doesn't
    > show up in explorer. Can anyone tell me how to access those files and do a
    > fresh reinstall? Thanks!
    >
    > Greg

    Yes, one would assume that there is some kind of key combination. I just got
    off the phone with Matrix, and they want *80* dollars just to tell you the
    location of the files that they put on there in the first place. So my wife
    is now going through every ALT and CTL combination with all the function keys
    at boot-up. If we find the combination, I'll definitely post it, so someone
    else doesn't have to go through this insanity.

    Greg

    "Arun Aluvila" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > If the computer does not have a restore/ recovery CD by default, there
    > should be some specific key combination to access the recovery files from the
    > hard drive during the startup. The computer manufacturer will be able to help
    > you on this.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Arun Aluvila

    If you have the CD key, which is usually on the
    case these days, just borrow/dupe someone's
    else's XP CD (be wary of brand-specific ones,
    though.) You pay for the key, not the actual CD.
    Just get the right version, Home vs Pro,
    preferably at the matching SP level. And never
    trust "restoration" CD's or partitions -- they'll
    likely just reset your system back to factory
    condition, wiping out all your data files and
    any programs you added since.

    -BC

    Hi Greg,

    There website doesn't have much to offer.

    http://www.vprmatrix.com/customer_home.asp

    You may want to call there toll free tech support line.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    DamaskFalcon wrote:
    > I've got a VPR Matrix 6100 that did not come with a
    > restore/recovery CD. I need to reinstall XP. From what I
    > understand the restore/recovery files are on the hard
    > drive somewhere, possibly in a seperate partition that
    > doesn't show up in explorer. Can anyone tell me how to
    > access those files and do a fresh reinstall? Thanks!
    >
    > Greg

    Thanks for the suggestions I do appreciate it. I did look at their web site
    and there is really nothing there at all. The computer is out of warrenty,
    and I really hate to pay someone thirty dollars or more to tell me something
    that should be in the documentation. So <rant> I guess that's my court of
    last resort, since I even less relish the idea that I'm going to have to pay
    $200.00 for a copy of Windows XP because someone was too cheap to even put on
    CD and give it to you. </rant off>

    "Bert Kinney" wrote:

    > Hi Greg,
    >
    > There website doesn't have much to offer.
    >
    > http://www.vprmatrix.com/customer_home.asp
    >
    > You may want to call there toll free tech support line.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://bertk.mvps.org
    >
    > DamaskFalcon wrote:
    > > I've got a VPR Matrix 6100 that did not come with a
    > > restore/recovery CD. I need to reinstall XP. From what I
    > > understand the restore/recovery files are on the hard
    > > drive somewhere, possibly in a seperate partition that
    > > doesn't show up in explorer. Can anyone tell me how to
    > > access those files and do a fresh reinstall? Thanks!
    > >
    > > Greg

    THanks for the suggestions, BC--there's a whole bunch of XP CDs around me
    right now, but unfortunately they are all brand specific. And I've done a
    complete backup of all my data, so I'm resigned to loosing it all if I
    restore.

    Greg

    "BC" wrote:

    > If you have the CD key, which is usually on the
    > case these days, just borrow/dupe someone's
    > else's XP CD (be wary of brand-specific ones,
    > though.) You pay for the key, not the actual CD.
    > Just get the right version, Home vs Pro,
    > preferably at the matching SP level. And never
    > trust "restoration" CD's or partitions -- they'll
    > likely just reset your system back to factory
    > condition, wiping out all your data files and
    > any programs you added since.
    >
    > -BC

    Clipped from a review
    "VPR Matrix is Best Buy’s own line of private label PC’s found only at
    Best Buy stores"

    I would go talk to their tech counter folks.

    DamaskFalcon wrote:
    > Yes, one would assume that there is some kind of key combination. I just got
    > off the phone with Matrix, and they want *80* dollars just to tell you the
    > location of the files that they put on there in the first place. So my wife
    > is now going through every ALT and CTL combination with all the function keys
    > at boot-up. If we find the combination, I'll definitely post it, so someone
    > else doesn't have to go through this insanity.
    >
    > Greg
    >

    > "Arun Aluvila" wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>If the computer does not have a restore/ recovery CD by default, there
    >>should be some specific key combination to access the recovery files from the
    >>hard drive during the startup. The computer manufacturer will be able to help
    >>you on this.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>
    >>Arun Aluvila

    The only requirement that Microsoft has imposed onto the OEM PC makers is
    that they need to provide a method of restore XP to the delivered state. A
    hidden partition "seems" to many PC amkers as the method that is allowed.

    DamaskFalcon wrote:
    > THanks for the suggestions, BC--there's a whole bunch of XP CDs around me
    > right now, but unfortunately they are all brand specific. And I've done a
    > complete backup of all my data, so I'm resigned to loosing it all if I
    > restore.
    >
    > Greg

    If any of them are XP Reinstallation CD's and not
    just restoration ones, and you have access to to
    PC with a CD-burner, you could try this:

    1) Make a slipstreamed XP installation CD -- this
    should also create a generic XP installation CD
    as a side effect:
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

    2) Then try this Repair Installation process:

    Good luck.

    -BC

    Hi Greg,

    You could ask here:
    Designtechnica Forums - VPR Matrix Brand Computer Systems
    http://forums.designtechnica.com/forumdisplay.php?s=61fef8a4825c95728c27be16abd6abc5&f=77

    --

    DamaskFalcon wrote:
    > Thanks for the suggestions I do appreciate it. I did look
    > at their web site and there is really nothing there at
    > all. The computer is out of warrenty, and I really hate
    > to pay someone thirty dollars or more to tell me
    > something that should be in the documentation. So <rant>
    > I guess that's my court of last resort, since I even less
    > relish the idea that I'm going to have to pay $200.00 for
    > a copy of Windows XP because someone was too cheap to
    > even put on CD and give it to you. </rant off>
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Greg,
    >>
    >> There website doesn't have much to offer.
    >>
    >> http://www.vprmatrix.com/customer_home.asp
    >>
    >> You may want to call there toll free tech support line.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://bertk.mvps.org
    >>
    >> DamaskFalcon wrote:
    >>> I've got a VPR Matrix 6100 that did not come with a
    >>> restore/recovery CD. I need to reinstall XP. From what I
    >>> understand the restore/recovery files are on the hard
    >>> drive somewhere, possibly in a seperate partition that
    >>> doesn't show up in explorer. Can anyone tell me how to
    >>> access those files and do a fresh reinstall? Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Greg

    If you want to learn about Partition, Hard Disks, File systems and Data
    Recovery, Book "Data Recovery with & without Programming"

    You can see the contents of the book on following Link:

    http://www.DataDoctor.biz/author.htm

    Regards

    TT

    If you want to learn about Partition, Hard Disks, File systems and Data
    Recovery, Book "Data Recovery with & without Programming"

    You can see the contents of the book on following Link:

    http://www.DataDoctor.biz/author.htm

    Regards

    TT

    If you want to learn about Partition, Hard Disks, File systems and Data
    Recovery, Book "Data Recovery with & without Programming"

    You can see the contents of the book on following Link:

    http://www.DataDoctor.biz/author.htm

    Regards

    TT
  15. You can download a cd image of windows xp at

    thepiratebay.org

Data Recovery Matrix Windows XP