Want to upgrade desktop. What should I get?

Hello everyone,

I have a Compaq Presario SR5123WM Desktop PC. My dvdrw drive passed away last week and I think I have a bad stick of RAM so since I gotta buy pc parts anyway I decided to make some upgrades. My problem is I don't know if I really need them. This is my pc specs:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP2
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ 2.10GHZ Brisbane 65nm Technology
RAM: 2.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 301MHz (5-5-5-13)
Motherboard: ECS Nettle2 (Socket M2)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 128MB
Monitor: Compaq WF1907 (1440x900@60Hz) 19" LCD
Hard Drive: 320 GB Western Digital WDC WD32 00AAJS-00L7A SCSI Disk Device (RAID)
Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio

According to Compaq's website I can have 8GB of RAM (DDR2 PC2-4200, 5300 or 6400) and I can upgrade to an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.80GHz processor. Are these upgrades needed? I want to keep this pc for awhile as I'm tried of having to buy a pc every 2-3 months. I have no plans to move to windows 7 (can't stand it), but I will give 8 a try as I don't wanna get stuck on vista like a lot of people are stuck on xp. What upgrades (besides the dvd drive) would you say I need? I don't care about buying a video card right now. I will get a new one when windows 8 is released.
4 answers Last reply
More about want upgrade desktop
  1. If you have to spend more than a $100 or 2 on repairing the PC, you may as well get a new one fully. Although the specs on the PC are not totally out of the modern area, if you need to repalce more than a few cheap components, it's not worth replacing out-dated stuff. Especially the video card, not very good for much modern video. Just get a new i3 tower or build one from parts.

Here is a system builder for lower end gaming, will run rings around your system in anything. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/budget-gaming-pc-phenom-ii-radeon-hd-6850,2903.html
  2. Thanks for the advice. The price of the parts were over $200 so I decided to just sell the desktop & get a new laptop. My space is limited so I can't have a lot of crap sitting around taking up space plus I need something I can travel with.
  3. Good idea, just make sure you get a laptop that will do what you want and not just the cheapest one. Especially in the video department. Don't get an intergrated video chip from intel, look for a decent AMD (ATI) Radeon or an nVidia card, read the reviews and benchmarks before you buy.

Can't upgrade laptops easily, and the video not at all.
  4. Thanks for the tips. I will keep that in mind when I buy a laptop. I never buy a pc with an intel video card. I did that once and learned a hard lesson.
Ask a new question

Read More

Compaq Desktops Computers