Help...Outlook Express email files missing after archiving

Not too sure whether this is the right forum but could use some help from
the experts here. My emails went missing after I accepted a file compress
prompt. Upon checking, the file sizes appear to be big enough to retain the
emails but are empty when viewed through OE. Is it possible that the emails
are still somewhere inside these files but are somehow truncated when viewed
thru OE? Could the experts out there help to advise how to retrieve the
mails. Thank you in advance for the help.

Regards
Nasar
2 answers Last reply
More about help outlook express email files missing archiving

    "Nas R" <nasarudn@tm.net.my> wrote in message
    > Not too sure whether this is the right forum but could use some help
    > from the experts here. My emails went missing after I accepted a file
    > compress prompt. Upon checking, the file sizes appear to be big
    > enough to retain the emails but are empty when viewed through OE. Is
    > it possible that the emails are still somewhere inside these files
    > but are somehow truncated when viewed thru OE? Could the experts out
    > there help to advise how to retrieve the mails. Thank you in advance
    > for the help.
    >
    > Regards
    > Nasar

    What were you doing when you got this "compress" prompt?

    When you see the compact option, and select OK, never touch anything until
    it has completed. A power change can cause this too.

    Why Mail Disappears:
    http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgone

    About File Corruption:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

    Recovery tools:

    DBXtract: {Cost: $5.00}
    http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx

    DBXpress: {$24.95, but much faster for large files}
    http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx

    A general warning if you don't want to lose your messages in the future:

    Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually
    become corrupted. Create your own user defined folders for storing
    mail and move your mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder
    regularly. Keep user created folders under 100MB, and Default folders as
    empty as is feasible.

    Outlook Express Specific Newsgroup:

    Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
    ~IB-CA~

    > Not too sure whether this is the right forum but could use some help from
    > the experts here. My emails went missing after I accepted a file compress
    > prompt. Upon checking, the file sizes appear to be big enough to retain
    > the emails but are empty when viewed through OE. Is it possible that the
    > emails are still somewhere inside these files but are somehow truncated
    > when viewed thru OE? Could the experts out there help to advise how to
    > retrieve the mails. Thank you in advance for the help.
    >
    > Regards
    > Nasar

Outlook Express Email Microsoft Windows XP