No LAN connect when laptop docked

mikeh

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

I just purchased a used DELL Inspiron 8200 laptop. I am able to connect to
my LAN without problems when not docked and with the network cable going
directly into the laptop. If I dock the laptop in the Advanced Port
Replicator, with the network cable connected to the proper port on the APR,
the network icon says that the network cable is disconnected. The lights on
my router come on OK.

In the device manager there is an item called "Ethernet Controller" under
"other devices". This item does not appear in device manager when not
docked. Anyway, it shows that the Ethernet Controller is not working because
no driver is installed. I haven't found a driver in any of the distribution
CDs. The only driver on the DELL web site that might be applicable is
already installed on my laptop and is used by the 3-COM Network Adaptor
card.

Is an "Ethernet Controller" needed when connected via an APR? If so, where
would I find a driver for it?

i suggest that you delete the 'ethernet controller' found under 'other
devices' when docked and then restart... it sounds as if the first time it
was docked it did not install properly. the driver for the nice in the apr
is 'known' to windows xp so no driver should be required (just let windows
search for what it 'thinks' is best)...

"MikeH" <mike.herring@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I just purchased a used DELL Inspiron 8200 laptop. I am able to connect to
>my LAN without problems when not docked and with the network cable going
>directly into the laptop. If I dock the laptop in the Advanced Port
>Replicator, with the network cable connected to the proper port on the APR,
>the network icon says that the network cable is disconnected. The lights on
>my router come on OK.
>
> In the device manager there is an item called "Ethernet Controller" under
> "other devices". This item does not appear in device manager when not
> docked. Anyway, it shows that the Ethernet Controller is not working
> because no driver is installed. I haven't found a driver in any of the
> distribution CDs. The only driver on the DELL web site that might be
> applicable is already installed on my laptop and is used by the 3-COM
> Network Adaptor card.
>
> Is an "Ethernet Controller" needed when connected via an APR? If so, where
> would I find a driver for it?

mikeh

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Thanks, I tried this. I un-installed the ethernet controller but when I
re-boot and it finds new hardware it isn't able to locate a driver for it.
I've tried both the Operating System CD and the Drivers and Utilities CD. I
wonder where I'd find the correct driver for the NIC in the APR.

>i suggest that you delete the 'ethernet controller' found under 'other
>devices' when docked and then restart... it sounds as if the first time it
>was docked it did not install properly. the driver for the nice in the apr
>is 'known' to windows xp so no driver should be required (just let windows
>search for what it 'thinks' is best)...
>
> "MikeH" <mike.herring@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I just purchased a used DELL Inspiron 8200 laptop. I am able to connect to
>>my LAN without problems when not docked and with the network cable going
>>directly into the laptop. If I dock the laptop in the Advanced Port
>>Replicator, with the network cable connected to the proper port on the
>>APR, the network icon says that the network cable is disconnected. The
>>lights on my router come on OK.
>>
>> In the device manager there is an item called "Ethernet Controller" under
>> "other devices". This item does not appear in device manager when not
>> docked. Anyway, it shows that the Ethernet Controller is not working
>> because no driver is installed. I haven't found a driver in any of the
>> distribution CDs. The only driver on the DELL web site that might be
>> applicable is already installed on my laptop and is used by the 3-COM
>> Network Adaptor card.
>>
>> Is an "Ethernet Controller" needed when connected via an APR? If so,
>> where would I find a driver for it?

do you have windows xp installed on this machine?

> Thanks, I tried this. I un-installed the ethernet controller but when I
> re-boot and it finds new hardware it isn't able to locate a driver for it.
> I've tried both the Operating System CD and the Drivers and Utilities CD.
> I wonder where I'd find the correct driver for the NIC in the APR.
>

> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>i suggest that you delete the 'ethernet controller' found under 'other
>>devices' when docked and then restart... it sounds as if the first time it
>>was docked it did not install properly. the driver for the nice in the
>>apr is 'known' to windows xp so no driver should be required (just let
>>windows search for what it 'thinks' is best)...
>>
>> "MikeH" <mike.herring@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>I just purchased a used DELL Inspiron 8200 laptop. I am able to connect
>>>to my LAN without problems when not docked and with the network cable
>>>going directly into the laptop. If I dock the laptop in the Advanced Port
>>>Replicator, with the network cable connected to the proper port on the
>>>APR, the network icon says that the network cable is disconnected. The
>>>lights on my router come on OK.
>>>
>>> In the device manager there is an item called "Ethernet Controller"
>>> under "other devices". This item does not appear in device manager when
>>> not docked. Anyway, it shows that the Ethernet Controller is not working
>>> because no driver is installed. I haven't found a driver in any of the
>>> distribution CDs. The only driver on the DELL web site that might be
>>> applicable is already installed on my laptop and is used by the 3-COM
>>> Network Adaptor card.
>>>
>>> Is an "Ethernet Controller" needed when connected via an APR? If so,
>>> where would I find a driver for it?

mikeh

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Windows XP Pro, I checked bios and docking is enabled

> do you have windows xp installed on this machine?
>
> "MikeH" <mike.herring@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks, I tried this. I un-installed the ethernet controller but when I
>> re-boot and it finds new hardware it isn't able to locate a driver for
>> it. I've tried both the Operating System CD and the Drivers and Utilities
>> CD. I wonder where I'd find the correct driver for the NIC in the APR.
>>

>> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>>i suggest that you delete the 'ethernet controller' found under 'other
>>>devices' when docked and then restart... it sounds as if the first time
>>>it was docked it did not install properly. the driver for the nice in
>>>the apr is 'known' to windows xp so no driver should be required (just
>>>let windows search for what it 'thinks' is best)...
>>>
>>> "MikeH" <mike.herring@comcast.net> wrote in message

with windows xp pro there is no prerequisite software or drivers to install
before connecting to the inspiron advanced port replicator (the on that the
8200 slides back into to engage with the docking port and that has a lever
on the left hand side to lock the system in place). there is however a
verry similar looking apr that only works with lattitudes (but there is a
work around for this). it strikes me that you don't really know if it ever
worked or if it is a inspiron or a lattitude dock... the part number on the
dock should give us a clue. furthermore, when docked you will see one
'network cable is unplugged' icon as the laptop internal wired network card
is indeed unplugged (the apr network card, if working properly would be a
second network adapter and if it was unplugged then two 'network cable is
unplugged' icons would appear in the tray. since this is a used computer i
wonder how it was installed... when installed by dell the entire '\i386'
folder found on the windows cd rom is copied to the root of the 'c' drive
and there is a registry entry under
hk_local_machine-software-microsoft-windows-windowsnt-currentversion-sourcepath
that refers to this location so that you never have to insert the windows cd
again... but even if you do you should be able to find the drive on the
windows cd if you direct it to look at the \i386 folder. i wish i had some
other suggestion for you on how to troubleshoot this, makes me wonder if the
installation of windows was installed while the system was docked (which can
create this problem). windows is supposed to be installed and completed
before the first attempt at docking is done (a cold dock, that is to say
docked while powered off the first time out). one thing that i wonder is if
you have the ac adapter plugged into the apr or if you are running on
batteries (which will not power the apr)... but that does not explain why
you can't find a acceptable driver to load for the nic in the apr. who else
has a suggestion??

a couple of interesting links that you may like to know about...
a 1.1mb pdf file with inspiron apr documentation:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/acc/inspapr/8498ta03.pdf
dell 8200 faq
http://www.geocities.com/thebithead/I8200FAQ.htm
support.dell.com documentation for the 8200
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins8200/

> Windows XP Pro, I checked bios and docking is enabled
>
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> do you have windows xp installed on this machine?
>>
>> "MikeH" <mike.herring@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Thanks, I tried this. I un-installed the ethernet controller but when I
>>> re-boot and it finds new hardware it isn't able to locate a driver for
>>> it. I've tried both the Operating System CD and the Drivers and
>>> Utilities CD. I wonder where I'd find the correct driver for the NIC in
>>> the APR.
>>>

>>> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

mikeh

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Thanks so much for your thoughtful and thorough reply.

I'm pretty sure I have the APR intended for this laptop. The manual is the
same as the 8498ta03.pdf link.

I see the unplugged icon and understand it refers to the internal NIC. I
don't have a second icon in the Network Connections window.

I have been operating with the AC adaptor connected (and powered). It is
the correct model for the APR.

I think there is a definite possibility this could have something to do with
how the OS was setup. I found a procedure on the DELL site for re-doing
this portion of the setup. It involves removing the hardware profile for
docking (while undocked) and then restarting it when plugged into the APR.
I haven't tried this yet. The previous owner has been helpful but says he
used the laptop only with a wireless network.

> with windows xp pro there is no prerequisite software or drivers to
> install before connecting to the inspiron advanced port replicator (the on
> that the 8200 slides back into to engage with the docking port and that
> has a lever on the left hand side to lock the system in place). there is
> however a verry similar looking apr that only works with lattitudes (but
> there is a work around for this). it strikes me that you don't really
> know if it ever worked or if it is a inspiron or a lattitude dock... the
> part number on the dock should give us a clue. furthermore, when docked
> you will see one 'network cable is unplugged' icon as the laptop internal
> wired network card is indeed unplugged (the apr network card, if working
> properly would be a second network adapter and if it was unplugged then
> two 'network cable is unplugged' icons would appear in the tray. since
> this is a used computer i wonder how it was installed... when installed
> by dell the entire '\i386' folder found on the windows cd rom is copied to
> the root of the 'c' drive and there is a registry entry under
> hk_local_machine-software-microsoft-windows-windowsnt-currentversion-sourcepath
> that refers to this location so that you never have to insert the windows
> cd again... but even if you do you should be able to find the drive on
> the windows cd if you direct it to look at the \i386 folder. i wish i had
> some other suggestion for you on how to troubleshoot this, makes me wonder
> if the installation of windows was installed while the system was docked
> (which can create this problem). windows is supposed to be installed and
> completed before the first attempt at docking is done (a cold dock, that
> is to say docked while powered off the first time out). one thing that i
> wonder is if you have the ac adapter plugged into the apr or if you are
> running on batteries (which will not power the apr)... but that does not
> explain why you can't find a acceptable driver to load for the nic in the
> apr. who else has a suggestion??
>
> a couple of interesting links that you may like to know about...
> a 1.1mb pdf file with inspiron apr documentation:
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/acc/inspapr/8498ta03.pdf
> dell 8200 faq
> http://www.geocities.com/thebithead/I8200FAQ.htm
> support.dell.com documentation for the 8200
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins8200/
>

> "MikeH" <mike.herring@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Windows XP Pro, I checked bios and docking is enabled
>>
>> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>> do you have windows xp installed on this machine?
>>>
>>> "MikeH" <mike.herring@comcast.net> wrote in message

Mike,
Before removing profile, I wonder if your router is confusing the MAC address in the docking station Ethernet connection, and the MAC address of the notebook connection, when it assigns IP addresses for it. So from another PC, go into the router's settings and remove the notebook's settings listed there.

Then with the notebook attached to the dock, connect the combo to the router. So that the router can assign an IP address to the combo. Then undock the notebook, connect it to the router, so that the router assigns a separate IP address for the stand-alone notebook.
--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"MikeH" <mike.herring@comcast.net> wrote in message news:39ydnXK9l-zf_YzeRVn-pA@comcast.com...
> [...]

> wonder is if you have the ac adapter plugged into the apr or if you are
> running on batteries (which will not power the apr)... but that does not
> explain why you can't find a acceptable driver to load for the nic in the
> apr. who else has a suggestion??
>
> a couple of interesting links that you may like to know about...
> a 1.1mb pdf file with inspiron apr documentation:
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/acc/inspapr/8498ta03.pdf
> dell 8200 faq
> http://www.geocities.com/thebithead/I8200FAQ.htm
> support.dell.com documentation for the 8200
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins8200/
>

> "MikeH" <mike.herring@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Windows XP Pro, I checked bios and docking is enabled
>>
>> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>> do you have windows xp installed on this machine?

I'm looking for a way to drop the LAN DHCP for the laptop in my router and
haven't found it yet although I doubt that router confusion is going to
make the connection appear to be non-existent. There is not even a
connection icon for the APR in the Network Connections window on the laptop.
I'm finally figuring out that the unplugged status refers to LAN port on the
laptop itself which is unused when plugged into the APR.

"RRR_News" <RRR_News@isp.com> wrote in message
Mike,
Before removing profile, I wonder if your router is confusing the MAC
address in the docking station Ethernet connection, and the MAC address of
the notebook connection, when it assigns IP addresses for it. So from
another PC, go into the router's settings and remove the notebook's settings
listed there.

Then with the notebook attached to the dock, connect the combo to the
router. So that the router can assign an IP address to the combo. Then
undock the notebook, connect it to the router, so that the router assigns a
separate IP address for the stand-alone notebook.

i tried to explain the 'network cable unplugged' message earlier... when
docked (and with the apr network card working and connected) there will
still be a network 'cable unplugged message' since the internal laptop
network card is indeed unplugged.

the suggestion about investigating the router is not relevant as you first
have to resolve why you can not get windows to properly install the network
card found in the apr.

i have not seen the dell instructions on how to correct a bad profile. if
you provide a link i would be glad to look at those instructions and
comment.

> I'm looking for a way to drop the LAN DHCP for the laptop in my router and
> haven't found it yet although I doubt that router confusion is going to
> make the connection appear to be non-existent. There is not even a
> connection icon for the APR in the Network Connections window on the
> laptop. I'm finally figuring out that the unplugged status refers to LAN
> port on the laptop itself which is unused when plugged into the APR.
>
> "RRR_News" <RRR_News@isp.com> wrote in message
> Mike,
> Before removing profile, I wonder if your router is confusing the MAC
> address in the docking station Ethernet connection, and the MAC address of
> the notebook connection, when it assigns IP addresses for it. So from
> another PC, go into the router's settings and remove the notebook's
> settings listed there.
>
> Then with the notebook attached to the dock, connect the combo to the
> router. So that the router can assign an IP address to the combo. Then
> undock the notebook, connect it to the router, so that the router assigns
> a separate IP address for the stand-alone notebook.
> --

mikeh

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

I found a procedure, I think on the Dell site, a couple of days ago but had
to break away. Then I couldn't find it again in my history. It may not
have fully applied to XP as I find plenty of references for other OS.

Mystery: I looked in CMOS and NONE of the available network adaptors were
enabled (even though the on-board one works fine). So I enabled the APR
adaptor and moved it to first in the boot sequence. Made no difference.

Went into the device manager and uninstalled the 3com driver under Network
Adaptors and rebooted. It reinstalled the driver but still didn't find a
driver for "Ethernet Controller" (which I have been assuming has to be the
APR NIC).

>i tried to explain the 'network cable unplugged' message earlier... when
>docked (and with the apr network card working and connected) there will
>still be a network 'cable unplugged message' since the internal laptop
>network card is indeed unplugged.
>
> the suggestion about investigating the router is not relevant as you first
> have to resolve why you can not get windows to properly install the
> network card found in the apr.
>
> i have not seen the dell instructions on how to correct a bad profile. if
> you provide a link i would be glad to look at those instructions and
> comment.
>
> "MikeH" <mike.herring@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I'm looking for a way to drop the LAN DHCP for the laptop in my router
>> and haven't found it yet although I doubt that router confusion is going
>> to make the connection appear to be non-existent. There is not even a
>> connection icon for the APR in the Network Connections window on the
>> laptop. I'm finally figuring out that the unplugged status refers to LAN
>> port on the laptop itself which is unused when plugged into the APR.
>>
>> "RRR_News" <RRR_News@isp.com> wrote in message
>> Mike,
>> Before removing profile, I wonder if your router is confusing the MAC
>> address in the docking station Ethernet connection, and the MAC address
>> of the notebook connection, when it assigns IP addresses for it. So from
>> another PC, go into the router's settings and remove the notebook's
>> settings listed there.
>>
>> Then with the notebook attached to the dock, connect the combo to the
>> router. So that the router can assign an IP address to the combo. Then
>> undock the notebook, connect it to the router, so that the router assigns
>> a separate IP address for the stand-alone notebook.
>> --

"MikeH" <mike.herring@comcast.net> wrote:
>Anyway, it shows that the Ethernet Controller is not working because
>no driver is installed.

It could be broken, and reporting the wrong ID, or failing to load the
drivers because of a hardware failure during configuration. Given
that it's used equipment (and the seller disclaims any knowledge of
it's functionality beforehand) I'd write it off, try another one, or
stuff a PCMCIA ethernet card into it when docked.

mikeh

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Well, for now I just plug the network cable directly into the laptop and it
works fine. I just found out the speaker output of the APR is inoperative
also. I greatly suspect a setup problem at this point. The only peripheral
that works is the USB plug the mouse connects through. Unless an easy
solution presents itself I'm going to just plug everything into the laptop
and set the APR aside.