Dimension 9100 - No Sound

Dell France shipped this PC with XP Pro in French, not the asked-for
English. They sent an English CD which I installed clean (format c:
NTFS) and everything was going swimmingly 'till I connected the
speakers and boom box; nothing.

Control Panel/Sound-and-Audio-Devices tells me there is "No Audio
Device".

I ran the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS CD that came with the PC. It tells
me "Setup could not detect any Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS on your
system".

Any thoughts? Thanks.

<tom_nospam_ba@pobox.com> wrote in message
> Dell France shipped this PC with XP Pro in French, not the asked-for
> English. They sent an English CD which I installed clean (format c:
> NTFS) and everything was going swimmingly 'till I connected the
> speakers and boom box; nothing.
>
> Control Panel/Sound-and-Audio-Devices tells me there is "No Audio
> Device".
>
> I ran the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS CD that came with the PC. It tells
> me "Setup could not detect any Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS on your
> system".
>
> Any thoughts? Thanks.

First, the obvious question. You're sure it has an Audigy card? If so, it
is possible it isn't seated right. Try reseating it.

Tom

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 14:37:19 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

><tom_nospam_ba@pobox.com> wrote in message
>> Dell France shipped this PC with XP Pro in French, not the asked-for
>> English. They sent an English CD which I installed clean (format c:
>> NTFS) and everything was going swimmingly 'till I connected the
>> speakers and boom box; nothing.
>>
>> Control Panel/Sound-and-Audio-Devices tells me there is "No Audio
>> Device".
>>
>> I ran the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS CD that came with the PC. It tells
>> me "Setup could not detect any Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS on your
>> system".
>>
>> Any thoughts? Thanks.
>
>First, the obvious question. You're sure it has an Audigy card? If so, it
>is possible it isn't seated right. Try reseating it.
>
>Tom

Thanks for the fast response Tom.

It's not a (PCI) card - it's one of these on-board jobbies.

In fact, I have two 9100s here. The first was shipped with the wrong
processor and is awaiting pick-up. I just checked its entry in
Sound-and-Audio-Devices and it tells me it's "SB Audigy 2 ZS (CC80)".

I just tried downloading a beta driver from Creative (Beta driver with
OpenAL support) and I get the same "Setup could not detect any Sound
Blaster Audigy 2 ZS on your system" message when I run it.

> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 14:37:19 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:
>

>><tom_nospam_ba@pobox.com> wrote in message
>>> Dell France shipped this PC with XP Pro in French, not the asked-for
>>> English. They sent an English CD which I installed clean (format c:
>>> NTFS) and everything was going swimmingly 'till I connected the
>>> speakers and boom box; nothing.
>>>
>>> Control Panel/Sound-and-Audio-Devices tells me there is "No Audio
>>> Device".
>>>
>>> I ran the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS CD that came with the PC. It tells
>>> me "Setup could not detect any Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS on your
>>> system".
>>>
>>> Any thoughts? Thanks.
>>
>>First, the obvious question. You're sure it has an Audigy card? If so,
>>it
>>is possible it isn't seated right. Try reseating it.
>>
>>Tom
>>
> Thanks for the fast response Tom.
>
> It's not a (PCI) card - it's one of these on-board jobbies.
>
> In fact, I have two 9100s here. The first was shipped with the wrong
> processor and is awaiting pick-up. I just checked its entry in
> Sound-and-Audio-Devices and it tells me it's "SB Audigy 2 ZS (CC80)".
>
> I just tried downloading a beta driver from Creative (Beta driver with
> OpenAL support) and I get the same "Setup could not detect any Sound
> Blaster Audigy 2 ZS on your system" message when I run it.

If it is onboard, it is not an Audigy 2 ZS

Looks like the driver is here:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R107035&SystemID=DIM_P4_9100&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=8907&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=1&formatcnt=1&fileid=138503

You'll likely have to cut and paste it, as it will 'break'.

Tom

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:00:51 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>:|
>:|http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R107035&SystemID=DIM_P4_9100&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=8907&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=1&formatcnt=1&fileid=138503
>:|
>:|You'll likely have to cut and paste it, as it will 'break'.

Hi, Tom

The other day I learned about TinyURL on this newsgroup. Try it, you
will like it.... it makes lo-o-o-o-o-ng URL addresses, well, tiny. Fer
instance, your link becomes: http://tinyurl.com/asmeg

Try it... you'll like it:

http://tinyurl.com/create.php

Best,

Andrew

--

Birmingham, Alabama, USA
rozsa@usa.invalid

"Andrew J. Rozsa" <rozsa@usa.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:00:51 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:
>

>>:|
>>:|http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R107035&SystemID=DIM_P4_9100&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=8907&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=1&formatcnt=1&fileid=138503
>>:|
>>:|You'll likely have to cut and paste it, as it will 'break'.
>
> Hi, Tom
>
> The other day I learned about TinyURL on this newsgroup. Try it, you
> will like it.... it makes lo-o-o-o-o-ng URL addresses, well, tiny. Fer
> instance, your link becomes: http://tinyurl.com/asmeg
>
> Try it... you'll like it:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/create.php
>
> Best,
>
> Andrew

I'm familiar with it, but won't click any links using it. I have no way of
knowing where it will redirect me. If I can't see the domain name, I don't
click on a link. WAY too risky.

wrote:

><tom_nospam_ba@pobox.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 14:37:19 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>><tom_nospam_ba@pobox.com> wrote in message

>>>First, the obvious question. You're sure it has an Audigy card? If so,
>>>it
>>>is possible it isn't seated right. Try reseating it.
>>>
>>>Tom
>>>
>> Thanks for the fast response Tom.
>>
>> It's not a (PCI) card - it's one of these on-board jobbies.
>>
>> In fact, I have two 9100s here. The first was shipped with the wrong
>> processor and is awaiting pick-up. I just checked its entry in
>> Sound-and-Audio-Devices and it tells me it's "SB Audigy 2 ZS (CC80)".
>>
>> I just tried downloading a beta driver from Creative (Beta driver with
>> OpenAL support) and I get the same "Setup could not detect any Sound
>> Blaster Audigy 2 ZS on your system" message when I run it.
>>

>If it is onboard, it is not an Audigy 2 ZS
Like I said above, on the first system Dell shipped, XP Pro sees SB
Audigy 2 ZS (CC80), and it too has onboard audio...

>Looks like the driver is here:
>
>http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R107035&SystemID=DIM_P4_9100&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=8907&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=1&formatcnt=1&fileid=138503

Now that hit the spot! It's not a Sound Blaster dirver, but I'm
audio-ing!! Many thanks, Tom.

> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:00:51 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:

>>Looks like the driver is here:
>>
>>http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R107035&SystemID=DIM_P4_9100&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=8907&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=1&formatcnt=1&fileid=138503
>>
> Now that hit the spot! It's not a Sound Blaster dirver, but I'm
> audio-ing!! Many thanks, Tom.

Happy to help.