Twilight Zone Tech need

I have had a Twilight Zone game for almost 3 years with no problems -
now, well, I have a problem. I am not a tech person, but with
pointers, I have had luck fixing things. Any help or ideas is very
much appreciated!

When I start the game the following things happen;
Press start button, plunge ball, game turns off as soon as the ball
drops in the hole (all lights) and then it re-sets itself. When it
re-sets itself on the screen it shows "testing 50020---rev L-4" - then
goes back to the start a game mode.

When I open the coin door and push the "begin test" button the
following things come up;
check switch 26 - through proximity
check switch 36 - left outlane
clock is broken

It sounds like maybe the switch 26 is the problem? Where do I find it
and how to fix it?

Jonathan Strong
(Troy, Michigan)

P.S.
Just about every 4-5 months I have some minor problem with one of my
machines - and every time I come to this group - it is solved! Thank
you very much for your help!

switch 26 is probably NOT the problem. Try this: Start the game, and
before plunging, hit both flippers a couple times and see if it resets.
If it doesn't, take the glass off and manually take the ball and put
it in play, do not go into the slot machine. If it's not resetting,
put the ball in the slot machine. If it resets, you probably have a
broken coil diode on the slot machine kicker coil. Replace with a
1n4004 diode installed the same way as the one that is on there.

there are other things you can check if this isn't it see
marvin3m.com/fix under the wpc guide for some common resetting
problems. If you don't know how to solder, send the board out!

Seymour -
Thanks for the idea. I will try it out. Sounds crazy - but if the
diode is bad - can I simply cut it out and will it still work then - or
does it have to have the diode? - Jonathan

martin

You may also have a bad coil. Your transistor is OK.

Disconnect the slot kicker and try again. The ball should stick, but we
expect the machine not to reset. If it does reset, then we are into
diodes. You can test that by clipping the diode at the power/driver
board.

Don't try to run without a diode. There is one in the transistor as
well, but it is the last line of defense.

another good possibility is that you have a faulty bridge rectifier
problem.
follow the suggestions the others ave provided first.

then read clay's site ( http://www.marvin3m.com/fix.htm )

if you still can't find the solution, try replacing the bridge
rectifier and cap on the power driver board.
(BR2 & C5?)

Jer

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001

You need the diode on there or the coil will send a voltage spike to the
board as it deenergizes.

Otto

CARGPB11

<jonathans@better-investing.org> wrote in message
> Seymour -
> Thanks for the idea. I will try it out. Sounds crazy - but if the
> diode is bad - can I simply cut it out and will it still work then - or
> does it have to have the diode? - Jonathan

hmmm, my slot machine kicker coil doesn't even have a diode on it and to
this day I have never had a reset, strange.

Kevin

<seymour-shabow@excite.com> wrote in message
> switch 26 is probably NOT the problem. Try this: Start the game, and
> before plunging, hit both flippers a couple times and see if it resets.
> If it doesn't, take the glass off and manually take the ball and put
> it in play, do not go into the slot machine. If it's not resetting,
> put the ball in the slot machine. If it resets, you probably have a
> broken coil diode on the slot machine kicker coil. Replace with a
> 1n4004 diode installed the same way as the one that is on there.
>
> there are other things you can check if this isn't it see
> marvin3m.com/fix under the wpc guide for some common resetting
> problems. If you don't know how to solder, send the board out!

You are correct, in WPC only the flipper coils have diodes on them.
The diodes for all other coils were relocated to the driver board to
prevent the doides from being damaged from vibration. That doesn't mean
the diode didn't go bad, you just have to look at the driver board
instead of the coil.

-wolffy

Sojourner353 wrote:
> hmmm, my slot machine kicker coil doesn't even have a diode on it and to
> this day I have never had a reset, strange.
>
> Kevin
>
> <seymour-shabow@excite.com> wrote in message
>
>>switch 26 is probably NOT the problem. Try this: Start the game, and
>>before plunging, hit both flippers a couple times and see if it resets.
>>If it doesn't, take the glass off and manually take the ball and put
>>it in play, do not go into the slot machine. If it's not resetting,
>>put the ball in the slot machine. If it resets, you probably have a
>>broken coil diode on the slot machine kicker coil. Replace with a
>>1n4004 diode installed the same way as the one that is on there.
>>
>>there are other things you can check if this isn't it see
>>marvin3m.com/fix under the wpc guide for some common resetting
>>problems. If you don't know how to solder, send the board out!

*AND* do something about that L4 software
you'r missing a lot this way.
With kind Regards / Met vriendelijke groet
Hans Balk
The Shoot 'M Again Team
www.shootmagain.nl
www.flipperwinkel.NL