Windows Installer Version

August 3, 2005 12:19:52 PM

I have Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 2 installed. How do
I know what version of Windows Installer I have and what version should I
have? Thanks in advance.

Arlene
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 1:00:49 PM

Hi,

Right-click the msi.dll file in the C:\Windows\System32 folder and select
properties. Click the version tab to find the version of the Windows
installer.

The latest version of Windows installer is Windows Installer 3.1 (v2). This
is available through Windows update.
Refer: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=893803

Regards,

Arun Aluvila
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 2:41:10 PM

In Windows XP, open a Command Prompt
(Start > Run and type: CMD , and hit enter)
and type: msiexec , and hit enter.

The latest version of Windows Installer is "v3.01"
which is available from the Windows Update web site.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Arlene" wrote:

| I have Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 2 installed. How do
| I know what version of Windows Installer I have and what version should I
| have? Thanks in advance.
|
| Arlene
August 3, 2005 7:40:16 PM

"Arlene" <Arlene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 2 installed. How
>do
> I know what version of Windows Installer I have and what version should I
> have? Thanks in advance.
>
> Arlene
try here for the latest version:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q305496

Belarc to see what's on your computer:
August 3, 2005 9:39:47 PM

Arlene wrote:

> I have Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 2
> installed. How do I know what version of Windows Installer I
> have and what version should I have? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

To obtain the version:

Start/Run --> msiexec.exe

If you have the latest version, it should state this at the top:

Windows ® Installer. V 3.01.4000.1823

If not, take a look here:

http://kurttrail.com/microscum/postsp2/

and locate this line:
16.) Windows Installer 3.1 (v2) is available (893803)

The "Download Now" links on this web page are downloading from
Microsoft's download center.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
August 3, 2005 9:39:48 PM

That did it. Thanks!!

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

> Arlene wrote:
>
> > I have Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 2
> > installed. How do I know what version of Windows Installer I
> > have and what version should I have? Thanks in advance.
> >
> Hi,
>
> To obtain the version:
>
> Start/Run --> msiexec.exe
>

> If you have the latest version, it should state this at the top:
>
> Windows ® Installer. V 3.01.4000.1823
>

> If not, take a look here:
>
> http://kurttrail.com/microscum/postsp2/
>
> and locate this line:
> 16.) Windows Installer 3.1 (v2) is available (893803)
>

> The "Download Now" links on this web page are downloading from
> Microsoft's download center.

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.m...

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 9:39:48 PM

V 3.01.4000.1830 is what I have but then this is W2K3

--
Peter

!