Windows Installer Version

I have Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 2 installed. How do
I know what version of Windows Installer I have and what version should I
have? Thanks in advance.

Arlene
6 answers Last reply
More about windows installer version

    Hi,

    Right-click the msi.dll file in the C:\Windows\System32 folder and select
    properties. Click the version tab to find the version of the Windows
    installer.

    The latest version of Windows installer is Windows Installer 3.1 (v2). This
    is available through Windows update.
    Refer: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=893803

    Regards,

    Arun Aluvila

    In Windows XP, open a Command Prompt
    (Start > Run and type: CMD , and hit enter)
    and type: msiexec , and hit enter.

    The latest version of Windows Installer is "v3.01"
    which is available from the Windows Update web site.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Arlene" <Arlene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 2 installed. How
    >do
    > I know what version of Windows Installer I have and what version should I
    > have? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Arlene
    try here for the latest version:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q305496

    Belarc to see what's on your computer:

    Arlene wrote:

    > I have Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 2
    > installed. How do I know what version of Windows Installer I
    > have and what version should I have? Thanks in advance.

    Hi,

    To obtain the version:

    Start/Run --> msiexec.exe

    If you have the latest version, it should state this at the top:

    Windows ® Installer. V 3.01.4000.1823

    If not, take a look here:

    http://kurttrail.com/microscum/postsp2/

    and locate this line:
    16.) Windows Installer 3.1 (v2) is available (893803)

    The "Download Now" links on this web page are downloading from
    Microsoft's download center.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    That did it. Thanks!!

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

    > Arlene wrote:
    >
    > > I have Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 2
    > > installed. How do I know what version of Windows Installer I
    > > have and what version should I have? Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > Hi,
    >
    > To obtain the version:
    >
    > Start/Run --> msiexec.exe
    >

    > If you have the latest version, it should state this at the top:
    >
    > Windows ® Installer. V 3.01.4000.1823
    >

    > If not, take a look here:
    >
    > http://kurttrail.com/microscum/postsp2/
    >
    > and locate this line:
    > 16.) Windows Installer 3.1 (v2) is available (893803)
    >

    > The "Download Now" links on this web page are downloading from
    > Microsoft's download center.

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    V 3.01.4000.1830 is what I have but then this is W2K3

    --
    Peter

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message news:%23wy1oGEmFHA.3688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Arlene wrote:
    >
    >> I have Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 2
    >> installed. How do I know what version of Windows Installer I
    >> have and what version should I have? Thanks in advance.
    >>
    > Hi,
    >
    > To obtain the version:
    >
    > Start/Run --> msiexec.exe
    >

    > If you have the latest version, it should state this at the top:
    >
    > Windows ® Installer. V 3.01.4000.1823
    >

    > If not, take a look here:
    >
    > http://kurttrail.com/microscum/postsp2/
    >
    > and locate this line:
    > 16.) Windows Installer 3.1 (v2) is available (893803)
    >

    > The "Download Now" links on this web page are downloading from
    > Microsoft's download center.

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Windows Installer Microsoft Windows XP