Turn off monitor

I would like to create a shortcut on the desktop to turn off the monitor
immediately like power saving in 10 min inactivity. The monitor will turn
on as soon as any key is pressed. Can someone advise how to accomplish it.

Thanks,

Ray
4 answers Last reply
More about turn monitor

    Ray wrote:

    > I would like to create a shortcut on the desktop to turn off the monitor
    > immediately like power saving in 10 min inactivity. The monitor will turn
    > on as soon as any key is pressed. Can someone advise how to accomplish it.

    Hi,

    Wizmo.exe (freeware)
    http://grc.com/wizmo/wizmo.htm

    Try this:
    wizmo.exe monoff

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Torgeir,

    That is exact what I need. Many thanks!

    I have a confusion between the explanation and the photo on the website. I
    should place the wizmo.exe in c:\windows\system folder according to the
    explanation while the screen capture is placed in the folder of
    c:\windows\system32. I currently put it into the latter one, create a
    shortcut on the desktop, change the Target to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wizmo.exe
    monoff and works. Doesn't it matter to place it in either foler?

    Ray

    Ray wrote:

    > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Ray wrote:
    >>
    >>>I would like to create a shortcut on the desktop to turn off the monitor
    >>>immediately like power saving in 10 min inactivity. The monitor will
    >>>turn on as soon as any key is pressed. Can someone advise how to
    >>>accomplish it.
    >>>

    >>Wizmo.exe (freeware)
    >>http://grc.com/wizmo/wizmo.htm
    >>
    >>Try this:
    >>wizmo.exe monoff
    >
    > Torgeir,
    >
    > That is exact what I need. Many thanks!
    >
    > I have a confusion between the explanation and the photo on the website.
    > I should place the wizmo.exe in c:\windows\system folder according to the
    > explanation while the screen capture is placed in the folder of
    > c:\windows\system32. I currently put it into the latter one, create a
    > shortcut on the desktop, change the Target to C:\WINDOWS\system32\wizmo.exe
    > monoff and works. Doesn't it matter to place it in either foler?
    Hi,

    It doesn't matter where you put wizmo.exe, you could have put it at
    C:\ or C:\MyUtils\ for that matter. The advantage of putting it in
    C:\Windows\System32\ is that that folder is in your system path, so
    you will be able to run wizmo.exe without specifying where wizmo.exe
    is located.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Torgeir,

    Many thanks for your explanation.

    > Ray wrote:

    >>>Wizmo.exe (freeware)
    >>>http://grc.com/wizmo/wizmo.htm
    >>>
    >>>Try this:
    >>>wizmo.exe monoff
    >>
    >> Torgeir,
    >>
    >> That is exact what I need. Many thanks!
    >>
    >> I have a confusion between the explanation and the photo on the website.
    >> I should place the wizmo.exe in c:\windows\system folder according to the
    >> explanation while the screen capture is placed in the folder of
    >> c:\windows\system32. I currently put it into the latter one, create a
    >> shortcut on the desktop, change the Target to
    >> C:\WINDOWS\system32\wizmo.exe
    >> monoff and works. Doesn't it matter to place it in either foler?
    > Hi,
    >
    > It doesn't matter where you put wizmo.exe, you could have put it at
    > C:\ or C:\MyUtils\ for that matter. The advantage of putting it in
    > C:\Windows\System32\ is that that folder is in your system path, so
    > you will be able to run wizmo.exe without specifying where wizmo.exe
    > is located.

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Desktops Monitors Microsoft Windows XP