Sign in with
Your question

Tbred 'B' in A7V333

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 7, 2003 8:52:48 AM

Hi guys,

Just a quick question or two... I've currently got a XP2000+ running in an asus A7V333 Mobo. I was wondering if there'd be any issues with sticking a Tbred 'B' (166FSB) in this mobo, as I'd like CPU FSB and RAM to be in synch...
It does allow a FSB of 166, so I can't see it being a problem, but just thought I'd check.

Also, I've got an old 800Mhz Athlon (T-Bird) system, and was wondering if I'd be able to put the XP2000+ in it. I think the mobo is an Abit KT7, so it doesn't actually support the 133Mhz FSB, but a 1250Mhz Palomino would still hugely outperform the t-bird... I guess it might need a BIOS upgrade or something....

Thanks

---
:smile: :tongue: :smile:

More about : tbred a7v333

January 7, 2003 10:02:02 AM

Well...the kt333 chipset doesn't really "officially" support the 166Mhz bus, so you'll have to overclock it from the start (it'll likely detect as a 133Mhz bus Athlon).

As for the Kt7 system, they don't overclock well above 100Mhz, and bios upgrades can't help that

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...
January 7, 2003 10:34:24 AM

Thanks for the swift reply...

Quote:
Well...the kt333 chipset doesn't really "officially" support the 166Mhz bus

I know, but this mobo Has a jumper for it somewhere all the same, and I'm fairly sure that the BIOS Frequency list goes up to something silly like 230Mhz or so....

Quote:
As for the Kt7 system, they don't overclock well above 100Mhz

My T-bird's been happy at 103*8 for a couple of years now, but as I said, I'm not too worried about running it below spec, coz a 1250Mhz Palomino core'd XP will still totally stuff a 800Mhz T-bird. I'm just wondering if I'd need a BIOS flash to get it to work at all....

---
Related resources
January 7, 2003 2:47:23 PM

oh yes, you'll be able to choose the fsb setting (I think the kt333 does 100-233, something like that), but it might not work, it all depends on the quality of the clock generators on your board (well...also the quality of your ram, psu, processor, ect). As for th Kt7 and the AXP, you'll be fine, just unable to run it above 100bus without overclocking. No bios flash needed, it should detect it as an athlon xp 1250Mhz, not as a 2000+ athlon xp

January 7, 2003 2:57:04 PM

i've got an albatron kx400+ kt333 mobo and it too has a jumper for 166fsb as well as allowing up to a ridiculous 233fsb on the bios.if you get a bios update you can certainly run a 333fsb xp on a kt333 mobo as it should, even though they aren't 'officially' supported.as far as the motherboard is concerned it will think it is an overclock but the processor won't so it doesn't matter.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]
January 7, 2003 3:03:32 PM

dude...think for a second, if you are running either the motherboard or processor out of spec, it's going to be an overclock (in this case, the motherboard). Your limiting factor is the Asus mobo, it might or might not be able to do the 166Mhz bus, some kt333 boards can, most can't do above 150'ish fsb (exception being Abit and Epox boards generally).

January 7, 2003 3:22:22 PM

yeah but i assume if they allow 233fsb in theory and it has a 166fsb jumper, it should certainly be able to handle 166fsb without a problem.i may be wrong in his case but i did have the privilege of testing an xp2600 333fsb on my board and it worked without a hitch.his board sounds similar to mine

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]
January 7, 2003 3:50:10 PM

Quote:
, it all depends on the quality of the clock generators on your board (well...also the quality of your ram, psu, processor, ect).

RAM is 256Mb Corsair XMS2700 and 256Mb Crucial. Have been running both at DDR333 for a while, and they're quite happy.
PSU is an Enermax 430W model, so I can't see any problems there. I guess it'll just be a question of all the bits in between then. Hell, if it don't work, I'll just buy a Nforce2 mobo :cool:

Regarding the KT7/Palomino combo:
Seeing as I'll effectively Underclocking the chip by 25% or so, do ya reckon my existing T-bird HSF will be sufficient? I can't remember exactly what it is, some globalwin thing rated for a t-bird 900Mhz or something....?

---
January 7, 2003 4:14:41 PM

According to Asus, the A7V333 does fully support 166MHz FSB with a BIOS flash to version 1013 and above, Thoroughbreds are supported since BIOS 1012. To play on the safe side, I suggest skipping to BIOS 1015. No need to worry about AGP freqs, the proper 1/6 PCI/AGP divider is applied once you set the FSB to 166MHz

BTW, I've been running my 1GHz Duron Morgan AHHAA rock stable on a 166MHz FSB for a while now, at first, I undervolted to 1.350V ( mid to low 30's temps under full PRIME95 load ) and it was quite happy and stable even if the CPU was running out of AMDs specs, now it's overclocked to 1166MHz with a slight overvolt ( 1.850V ) with no problem on a full 24/24 hours PRIME95 load ( low 50's temps )

Durons Morgan are fun to work with, the multipliers can be unlocked with a soft graphite lead ( 2B up to 4B works great ) and since they are loosely based on the Palomino architecture there is much headroom to work with.

IMHO Asus is a good mobo manufacturer, they are fast to relase new BIOS and I have yet to run into any of the infamous VIA chipset bugs...

I'm thinking into upgrading to a Barton CPU once the Hammer is out, I don't think i'll have any issues with my A7V333...

Fok Speling Misstake
January 7, 2003 6:44:34 PM

...if you know anything about Via, it's that the kt333 chipset does NOT support the 1/6 PCI divider, neither does the kt400 chipset

January 7, 2003 10:09:15 PM

According to my BIOS, when a 166MHz FSB is selected, AGP and PCI buses are running at a nice 66MHz/33MHz, everything is fine, no crashes or artefacts. Sandra reported 83MHz/44MHz, which scared me the first time I looked at it's report but according to their FAQ, It's normal that the program won't report the real values.

Anyway, It don't matter much to me if the VIA chipsets are supposed or not to support 166MHz FSBs, my system is running fine and I have nothing to complain about...

Fok Speling Misstake
January 7, 2003 11:32:50 PM

Yes. Sandra is, unfortunately, wrong (and far too frequently as well)

My Epox 8k3a+ kt333 runs absolutely perfect at 167fsb with everything in spec, despite sandra reporting wrong stuff.

The majority of KT333 and KT400 boards should officially support 166fsb now, except for the real cheap (and crap) ones.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>
!