Disabling popup window on application memory fault

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 (More info?)

Hi All:

I have developed and application (.exe) that I am using on WinXP to
process data at night. A memory fault occurs on approximately .7% of
the data (not a problem, the application does not have to be perfect
right now). However, when a memory fault does occur, the annoying error
report window pops up, suspending the processing until a user clears
the window. For overnight processing jobs, this is unacceptable.

I have disabled error reporting for this application, but a memory
fault still causes an alert window to pop up, that must be cleared by a
user.

Aside from fixing the problem that causes the mem fault, any idea on
how to have a memory fault handled without this popup alert, and have
processing continue?

Any help is appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about disabling popup window application memory fault
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    To disable the good Dr. Watson completely.

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Window­s NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug
    set the string value
    Auto="0"
    and possibly change the string for
    Debugger="drwtsn32 -p %ld -e %ld -g"
    Debugger=""

    If you later change your mind, from the "Run" box
    drwtsn32 -i

    Else if you just want no notification, from the run box;
    drwtsn32
    then uncheck the box for "Visual Notification"

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mi­crosoft\DrWatson
    "VisualNotification"=dword:000­00000

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "No Such Luck" wrote:
    | Hi All:
    |
    | I have developed and application (.exe) that I am using on WinXP to
    | process data at night. A memory fault occurs on approximately .7% of
    | the data (not a problem, the application does not have to be perfect
    | right now). However, when a memory fault does occur, the annoying error
    | report window pops up, suspending the processing until a user clears
    | the window. For overnight processing jobs, this is unacceptable.
    |
    | I have disabled error reporting for this application, but a memory
    | fault still causes an alert window to pop up, that must be cleared by a
    | user.
    |
    | Aside from fixing the problem that causes the mem fault, any idea on
    | how to have a memory fault handled without this popup alert, and have
    | processing continue?
    |
    | Any help is appreciated.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 (More info?)

    Hi,

    Well, you can use the win32 API SetErrorMode() function to inform the
    system that
    your application program will handle any serious errors on its own. You
    need to
    include the following flags within the function call, to prevent the
    display of the GPF
    messageBox, when the runTime system detect the memory fault error.

    SEM_FAILCRITICALERRORS
    SEM_NOGPFAULTERRORBOX

    That said, you need to call this function again when the application
    program had
    stopped, to restore back the old error mode for the other applications.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/debug/base/seterrormode.asp

    Hope these information helps.

    Kellie.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 (More info?)

    "No Such Luck" <no_suchluck@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All:
    >
    > I have developed and application (.exe) that I am using on WinXP to
    > process data at night. A memory fault occurs on approximately .7% of
    > the data (not a problem, the application does not have to be perfect
    > right now). However, when a memory fault does occur, the annoying error
    > report window pops up, suspending the processing until a user clears
    > the window. For overnight processing jobs, this is unacceptable.
    >
    > I have disabled error reporting for this application, but a memory
    > fault still causes an alert window to pop up, that must be cleared by a
    > user.
    >
    > Aside from fixing the problem that causes the mem fault, any idea on
    > how to have a memory fault handled without this popup alert, and have
    > processing continue?

    By using Structured Exception Handling in Windows... but there isn't much
    else you can do than to suspend the thread... and hope that other threads
    can run without it without being blocked due to some mutex/critical section
    or semaphore tokens the thread has aquired.

    So best to fix the bugs....

    - Sten
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 (More info?)

    Um, an exe that memory-faults is not "imperfect" - it is "buggy"!

    Surely, if you already know where the bug is, it shouldn't be all that
    hard to fix it?

    TC

Microsoft Memory Windows XP