GoBack and SP2 - problems?

My son just got a new Dell Inspiron 6000..........I tried to load GoBack on there and got the nasty blue screen with a message that either some hardware or software was causing a conflict and to uninstall. I had already turned off System Restore but didn't turn off McAfee AV. I couldn't even reboot, but could go into Safe Mode, where it said GoBack could not be uninstalled in Safe Mode. Rebooted again and found an option of going back to last known good configuration......did that, have no idea how far it went back, but it worked and I could uninstall GoBack. Tried it one more time, same thing, so I just unistalled it, reset System Restore and it all works.........of course, I rebooted a few times here and there.

I have GoBack on my Inspiron 5150, Sp1 and no problems at all, in fact, never turned off anything to install it. Is there a known problem between either GoBack and SP2 or maybe GoBack and McAfee?
--
Cyndi

If I were betting money on this issue, I would put a ton on problems with
McAfee. Personally, I uninstalled the McAfee software that came on both of
my new Dell systems and installed AVG Anti-Virus Free Editon, Zone Alarm
Pro, Ad-Aware SE Personal and Spybot Search and Destroy.

"Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
[...]

If it hadn't come on the computer I would have uninstalled it..........I think I will uninstall it and try GoBack one more time.......that program has been great........
--
Cyndi
"Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3L8Ne.72$ct1.9194@news.uswest.net...
> If I were betting money on this issue, I would put a ton on problems with
> McAfee. Personally, I uninstalled the McAfee software that came on both of
> my new Dell systems and installed AVG Anti-Virus Free Editon, Zone Alarm
> Pro, Ad-Aware SE Personal and Spybot Search and Destroy.
>
> "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> My son just got a new Dell Inspiron 6000..........I tried to load GoBack on
> there and got the nasty blue screen with a message that either some hardware
> or software was causing a conflict and to uninstall. I had already turned
> off System Restore but didn't turn off McAfee AV. I couldn't even reboot,
> but could go into Safe Mode, where it said GoBack could not be uninstalled
> in Safe Mode. Rebooted again and found an option of going back to last
> known good configuration......did that, have no idea how far it went back,
> but it worked and I could uninstall GoBack. Tried it one more time, same
> thing, so I just unistalled it, reset System Restore and it all
> works.........of course, I rebooted a few times here and there.
>
> I have GoBack on my Inspiron 5150, Sp1 and no problems at all, in fact,
> never turned off anything to install it. Is there a known problem between
> either GoBack and SP2 or maybe GoBack and McAfee?
> --
> Cyndi

If I may ask, what is it that you like about GoBack? I don't use the
product and I'm only vaguely familiar with what it does. I assume it is
much more comprehensive than System Restore?

If it hadn't come on the computer I would have uninstalled it..........I
think I will uninstall it and try GoBack one more time.......that program
has been great........
--
Cyndi
"Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If I were betting money on this issue, I would put a ton on problems with
> McAfee. Personally, I uninstalled the McAfee software that came on both
> of
> my new Dell systems and installed AVG Anti-Virus Free Editon, Zone Alarm
> Pro, Ad-Aware SE Personal and Spybot Search and Destroy.
>
> "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> My son just got a new Dell Inspiron 6000..........I tried to load GoBack
> on
> there and got the nasty blue screen with a message that either some
> hardware
> or software was causing a conflict and to uninstall. I had already turned
> off System Restore but didn't turn off McAfee AV. I couldn't even reboot,
> but could go into Safe Mode, where it said GoBack could not be uninstalled
> in Safe Mode. Rebooted again and found an option of going back to last
> known good configuration......did that, have no idea how far it went back,
> but it worked and I could uninstall GoBack. Tried it one more time, same
> thing, so I just unistalled it, reset System Restore and it all
> works.........of course, I rebooted a few times here and there.
>
> I have GoBack on my Inspiron 5150, Sp1 and no problems at all, in fact,
> never turned off anything to install it. Is there a known problem between
> either GoBack and SP2 or maybe GoBack and McAfee?
> --
> Cyndi

It's a lot more comprehensive then System Restore. It can restore deleted files, too. We had just gotten DSL years ago and my son downloaded a lot of songs onto his computer (back when it was ok to do so <g>).........he then put some other program on there that caused multiple programs and we couldn't get the computer back to working order. I used GoBack to get back to the point when we knew the computer was working great........somethings still weren't working right so we went back just a little furter...........well, that little further deleted all the new music............the computer was now fixed and GoBack recovered the lost music just fine............just my one little experience that was great about it.........
--
Cyndi
"Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3NbNe.49$Wf3.854@news.uswest.net...
> If I may ask, what is it that you like about GoBack? I don't use the
> product and I'm only vaguely familiar with what it does. I assume it is
> much more comprehensive than System Restore?
>
> "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> If it hadn't come on the computer I would have uninstalled it..........I
> think I will uninstall it and try GoBack one more time.......that program
> has been great........
> --
> Cyndi
> "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > If I were betting money on this issue, I would put a ton on problems with
> > McAfee. Personally, I uninstalled the McAfee software that came on both
> > of
> > my new Dell systems and installed AVG Anti-Virus Free Editon, Zone Alarm
> > Pro, Ad-Aware SE Personal and Spybot Search and Destroy.
> >
> > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > My son just got a new Dell Inspiron 6000..........I tried to load GoBack
> > on
> > there and got the nasty blue screen with a message that either some
> > hardware
> > or software was causing a conflict and to uninstall. I had already turned
> > off System Restore but didn't turn off McAfee AV. I couldn't even reboot,
> > but could go into Safe Mode, where it said GoBack could not be uninstalled
> > in Safe Mode. Rebooted again and found an option of going back to last
> > known good configuration......did that, have no idea how far it went back,
> > but it worked and I could uninstall GoBack. Tried it one more time, same
> > thing, so I just unistalled it, reset System Restore and it all
> > works.........of course, I rebooted a few times here and there.
> >
> > I have GoBack on my Inspiron 5150, Sp1 and no problems at all, in fact,
> > never turned off anything to install it. Is there a known problem between
> > either GoBack and SP2 or maybe GoBack and McAfee?
> > --
> > Cyndi

I use Goback with SP2 no problems. I've been using Goback for years and
consider it the most important piece of software I own, even above my OS.

[...]

No problems with GoBack and SP2.

Has anyone here tried GoBack Version 4?
--
C and A Bredt

"C and A Bredt" <abredtX@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> No problems with GoBack and SP2.
>
> Has anyone here tried GoBack Version 4?

Not me because the update (over version 3) is mostly just adding "one
click"-buttons to do the same stuff you can already do (though it takes a
few more mouse clicks). I think the max size may be more too but I don't
need any of that. This is a VERY important and cool piece of software
though.

I used to use GoBack, but now I just image my hard drive to back it up.

GoBack really slowed my system down by grinding away in the background. It
also is not 100% reliable. Sometimes, when you try to use GoBack to restore
to a certain point, it will tell you that there has been too much disk
activity and will not let you go back far enough to restore your system to
working order.

I think imaging my hard drive periodically and backing the image up to
another drive is a far better solution.

Ed Chait

"Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote:
>My son just got a new Dell Inspiron 6000..........I tried to load GoBack

Who makes GoBack again? I seem to remember some Roxio product that
was discontinued due to incompatability, but that can't be it, can it?

"Ed Chait" <edchait4remove@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> GoBack really slowed my system down by grinding away in the background.

That's unusual. I do real-time multitrack recording and online gaming (two
of the most time intensive activities there are) and have never had a
problem . Was your disk partitioned?

> It also is not 100% reliable. Sometimes, when you try to use GoBack to
> restore to a certain point, it will tell you that there has been too much
> disk activity and will not let you go back far enough to restore your
> system to working order.

That is not a reliability problem. You tell it how much disk space to set
aside for archiving and of course once that's used it starts rewriting the
oldest data first. I have never had a single failure of Goback in all the
years I've used it no matter how irresponsible I was (I don't recommend
being irresponsible but I tried many things I never would before simply
because of the bullet-proof nature of Goback).

> I think imaging my hard drive periodically and backing the image up to
> another drive is a far better solution.

You must misunderstand the purpose of a program like Goback. Goback is not a
"backup" utility. It is for system rollback. Backups are a totally different
thing altogether. Again for any user from casual all the way up to
power-user I can't recommend this software enough.

"Ed Chait" <edchait4remove@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> I used to use GoBack, but now I just image my hard drive to back it up.
>
> GoBack really slowed my system down by grinding away in the background.
> It also is not 100% reliable. Sometimes, when you try to use GoBack to
> restore to a certain point, it will tell you that there has been too much
> disk activity and will not let you go back far enough to restore your
> system to working order.
>
> I think imaging my hard drive periodically and backing the image up to
> another drive is a far better solution.
>
> Ed Chait

You obviously have no clue as to what GoBack is and what it is used for.
GoBack is not a Disc Imaging utility, but a system state rollback. It is
not wonder
you had problems with it...you were trying to use it for something it was
not intended for. In the future,
you should do a little research, so that you are using the right tool for
the task you are performing.

Bobby

Bobby

and the only thing I found wrong with GoBack is that you had to disable it to run any Defrag program.......found it out the hard way the first time.........and by disabling it, you have removed any GoBack points.......
--
Cyndi
"Ed Chait" <edchait4remove@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:kDiNe.9134$RS.2029@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...

> I used to use GoBack, but now I just image my hard drive to back it up.
>
> GoBack really slowed my system down by grinding away in the background. It
> also is not 100% reliable. Sometimes, when you try to use GoBack to restore
> to a certain point, it will tell you that there has been too much disk
> activity and will not let you go back far enough to restore your system to
> working order.
>
> I think imaging my hard drive periodically and backing the image up to
> another drive is a far better solution.
>
> Ed Chait

Then maybe it's a problem with McAfee, as someone on another ng suggested.
--
Cyndi

and the only thing I found wrong with GoBack is that you had to disable it
to run any Defrag program.......found it out the hard way the first
time.........and by disabling it, you have removed any GoBack points.......

You don't have to disable it. It will "move out of the way" once heavy disc
activity kicks (it will do this anytime massive disk activity happens for
obvious reasons). You will lose your restore points though. As BadDog
mentioned I think a lot of people misunderstand what Goback is and is for.

<William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>My son just got a new Dell Inspiron 6000..........I tried to load GoBack
>
> Who makes GoBack again? I seem to remember some Roxio product that
> was discontinued due to incompatability, but that can't be it, can it?

Originally it was made by a company called Wildfire (this was years ago and
it came standard on Gateway computers). The Roxio bought it but didn't do
much with it. Now Symantec owns it.

Ricky Hunt wrote:

> <William P. N. Smith> wrote in message
> > "Cyndi" <noonehome@nowhere.com> wrote:
> >>My son just got a new Dell Inspiron 6000..........I tried to load GoBack
> >
> > Who makes GoBack again? I seem to remember some Roxio product that
> > was discontinued due to incompatability, but that can't be it, can it?
>
> Originally it was made by a company called Wildfire (this was years ago and
> it came standard on Gateway computers). The Roxio bought it but didn't do
> much with it. Now Symantec owns it.

Not a whole lot of respect for Symantec, at least from me.

They seem to buy products, that don't really work, and just relabel them,
and change products, that do work, and, well, just relabel them!

Notan

when I didn't disable it, the disk or something kept running all day until I turned the machine off and then it was still doing it when I turned it on again the next day........

--
Cyndi

> "Ed Chait" <edchait4remove@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>

>> I used to use GoBack, but now I just image my hard drive to back it up.
>>
>> GoBack really slowed my system down by grinding away in the background.
>> It also is not 100% reliable. Sometimes, when you try to use GoBack to
>> restore to a certain point, it will tell you that there has been too much
>> disk activity and will not let you go back far enough to restore your
>> system to working order.
>>
>> I think imaging my hard drive periodically and backing the image up to
>> another drive is a far better solution.
>>
>> Ed Chait
>>

> You obviously have no clue as to what GoBack is and what it is used for.
> GoBack is not a Disc Imaging utility, but a system state rollback. It is
> not wonder
> you had problems with it...you were trying to use it for something it was
> not intended for. In the future,
> you should do a little research, so that you are using the right tool for
> the task you are performing.
>
> Bobby

You obviously need a lesson in how to communicate nicely:).

ed

Your post would lead someone to believe that you are overly impressed
with yourself.

Jim

> "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ed Chait" <edchait4remove@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>>

>>> I used to use GoBack, but now I just image my hard drive to back it up.
>>>
>>> GoBack really slowed my system down by grinding away in the background.
>>> It also is not 100% reliable. Sometimes, when you try to use GoBack to
>>> restore to a certain point, it will tell you that there has been too
>>> much disk activity and will not let you go back far enough to restore
>>> your system to working order.
>>>
>>> I think imaging my hard drive periodically and backing the image up to
>>> another drive is a far better solution.
>>>
>>> Ed Chait
>>>

>> You obviously have no clue as to what GoBack is and what it is used for.
>> GoBack is not a Disc Imaging utility, but a system state rollback. It
>> is not wonder
>> you had problems with it...you were trying to use it for something it was
>> not intended for. In the future,
>> you should do a little research, so that you are using the right tool for
>> the task you are performing.
>>
>> Bobby
>

> You obviously need a lesson in how to communicate nicely:).
>
> ed

There was nothing "not nice" about the post. I simply stated the
obvious...OP has no clue what he was doing. Believe me, if I wanted to be
"not nice", the post would have been much worse.

Bobby

> "Ed Chait" <edchait4remove@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Ed Chait" <edchait4remove@earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> You obviously have no clue as to what GoBack is and what it is used for.
>>> GoBack is not a Disc Imaging utility, but a system state rollback. It
>>> is not wonder
>>> you had problems with it...you were trying to use it for something it
>>> was not intended for. In the future,
>>> you should do a little research, so that you are using the right tool
>>> for the task you are performing.
>>>
>>> Bobby
>>

>> You obviously need a lesson in how to communicate nicely:).
>>
>> ed
>
> There was nothing "not nice" about the post. I simply stated the
> obvious...OP has no clue what he was doing. Believe me, if I wanted to be
> "not nice", the post would have been much worse.
>
> Bobby

Yes, you should be very proud.

ed:)

SP2's DEP issue on an Athlon64 PCI Express system with Goback 3 or
Goback 4 (or other "incompatible" applications/programs) can be
resolved easily by adding the following after the default Boot in
Boot.ini

/noexecute=alwaysoff /NOPAE

so that it reads something like

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXPH="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=alwaysoff /NOPAE

instead of

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXPH="Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

System Restore ONLY works if Windows will boot .... If you delete your
Windows folder or rename it and empty the recycle bin system restore
is useless ... if you delete all your fonts and try to use system
restore ... it is useless .... Goback can fix all those and more ....
I disable the useless System Restore (patterned after Second Chance
from Powerquest [which is discontinued software,] and use Goback