MN-700 not talking with MN-720

Since upgrading from the 500 series (wireless b) hardware
to the 700 series (wireless g), I've been having mixed
results. I have two desktops and one laptop. The laptop
and router are in the dining room of my home, one desktop
is in the front bedroom on the 2nd floor, and the other
desktop is in the attic.

The attic desktop would not allow for configuration of
the MN-710 USB device. After reinstalling XP Pro from
scratch, I learned it was due to the desktop's USB 2.0
drivers. A new USB 2.0 card solved that issue.

While troubleshooting a 'rogue entry' showing up in my
available networks listing, I tried setting the laptop up
for WPA security (network was originally set for WEP 128-
bit security). I received an error stating it could not
be activated. I needed to ensure I had XP Pro SP1 and
the WPA update (don't remember the number). All of those
items were present. I tried to uninstall the WPA update
so I could reinstall it, but when it said everything
installed on the laptop would stop working, I cancelled
the uninstall. Since then, the MN-720 PCMCIA card will
not reconnect with the base station. I've done
everything, including resetting the base to factory
settings (with no wireless security), and the MN-720
tells me I'm not typing in the correct WEP key. I've
tried uninstalling the software and reinstalling, and
even bought a new MN-720. Same issue. At one point last
night, changing the SSID back to 'MSHOME' got a
connection, but I tried changing that back to my own and
lost the ability to connect again.

Short of buying a whole new network, or spending the $2K
to have my house rewired, does anyone have any ideas on
what next to try?

Many thanks,
Ed S.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Dear Ed,

I know the FIRST thing you should do. Use the RESTORE
feature on WinXP Pro and go back to a restore point dated
BEFORE you installed the WPA update and tried to setup
WPA.

Chances are you'll be reconnected via the old SSID and
WEP-128 bit key like "magic"...

Ken,

No go. Found a restore point prior to the weekend,
everything restored back to that date, logged back in,
and the PCMCIA only connects to the router if I
use 'MSHOME' as my SSID and no security. Anything
different, and I am told the WEP Key doesn't match...even
if I set it to no security.

Thanks for the info, anyhow... :-/

-Ed S