Pavilion combo drive replacement

Hi. New here.
I'm repairing a Pavilion 533w. It seems the combo Philips CDRW/DVD-ROM drive is
dead. The computer had been freezing for the past week, the drive would not
eject a disk, and now it will not boot with the combo drive connected. It boots
fine, and seems stable, without the drive connected.
I will be trying a known-good CDR/RW drive tomorrow, just to test the IDE
channel. But I would like to replace the combo drive with one of equal
functionality.
HP wants C$221.00 for what is essentially a C$40.00 drive. And they want the old
one back.
Question - can I just install another brand combo drive? That's what I would do
with a "generic" machine, but I don't know if I will run into any driver issues
with the Pavilion and XP.
Any advice appreciated.

Regards,

Paul Babiak.
--
return email paulbabiak at rogers dot com

Paul,

As far as I know You can replace the drive with any slimline
dvd/cdrw/cd/dvd/combo drive.
I have my HP Pavilion ze4228 combodrive replaced with a NEC dual layer
dvd/rw drive (109 euro's)
Therefore I had to pull out the speaker unit and the keyboard. That's all!
HP has an PDF manual for this on the website.

Kind regards,

George Vroegop
Delft, The Netherlands