TECH: TZ Flipper Porblems follow up

Hi all,

Some of you may remember I had problems a while back with weak lower
flippers on my TZ after a rebuild of them including correct coils placement.

Well they got better after I adjusted the EOS switches however I still
feel they are weak, I have measured the resistance of my coils and they seem
correct however I had a look at the coils I removed and I noticed that 1 of
them had no diodes fitted to it, they had actually been cut off the coil and
their legs were still there, now I am just wondering if this has damaged
something on my fliptronic 2 board? I should add the game had never reset
from the day I got it being like this which I find strange.

I do have another fliptronic 2 board in my HSII and I will swap them
over if I get advised to however I just thought I would ask on here first if
anyone has seen this problem and seen a board damaged due to removed diodes
on the flipper coils, and the other reason is if the board is damaged it
will need repairs made so I would like to know which components would be
damaged from this occurrence so I can replace them.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Kevin
8 answers Last reply
More about tech flipper porblems follow

    My first question is what is it doing that you feel it is weak? Are
    all the "flips" and "holds" working in the flipper test?

    Step one would be to put the diodes back on the coil, unless they were
    moved someplace else but that is unlikely. This needs to be done to
    protect your boards whether or not they have suffered damage.

    After you put diodes on and swap your boards if you detect that
    something is not right on the one board I would suggest getting your
    hands on the WPC schematic manual. There are three transistors as well
    as some resistors and other smaller components for each flipper. Which
    ones would you need to replace? That's hard to say off the top of my head.

    -wolffy

    Sojourner353 wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Some of you may remember I had problems a while back with weak lower
    > flippers on my TZ after a rebuild of them including correct coils placement.
    >
    > Well they got better after I adjusted the EOS switches however I still
    > feel they are weak, I have measured the resistance of my coils and they seem
    > correct however I had a look at the coils I removed and I noticed that 1 of
    > them had no diodes fitted to it, they had actually been cut off the coil and
    > their legs were still there, now I am just wondering if this has damaged
    > something on my fliptronic 2 board? I should add the game had never reset
    > from the day I got it being like this which I find strange.
    >
    > I do have another fliptronic 2 board in my HSII and I will swap them
    > over if I get advised to however I just thought I would ask on here first if
    > anyone has seen this problem and seen a board damaged due to removed diodes
    > on the flipper coils, and the other reason is if the board is damaged it
    > will need repairs made so I would like to know which components would be
    > damaged from this occurrence so I can replace them.
    >
    > Thanks for the help in advance.
    >
    > Kevin

    If the flipper coils are wired the wrong way, you could get weak flips.
    Your Fliptronic board should be OK.

    The correct sequence should be:

    Blue-yellow Grey-yellow banded end of diode
    Blue-violet Blue-grey Middle connector
    orange-green orange-blue unbanded end of diode

    In your case, you don't have diodes. Wiring the coil backwards would
    have been a good reason to cut them off!

    If you have the blue-violet and blue-grey wires on the middle pins, I
    would try reversing the outer pins on one of the flippers and seeing if
    that helps.

    You should get the diodes in there. There are more diodes on the
    Fliptronic board, but it is better to be safer.

    In the hold test, the flippers might or might not raise. It is a
    low-power coil, so it is no surprise.

    At this point, I would be thinking new coils.

    Hi,

    Thanks for the replies.

    For Wolffy: The flippers seem to not be strong enough as many long ball
    shots don't seem to make it around the ramps, I have done the flipper test
    and the test works fine however the hold test is a bit thingy, considering
    they have been completely rebuilt including bushing the hold should work, it
    does work with a little assistance but the power one works fine.

    For Martin: They are wired the way you describe and knowing now there
    are diodes on the Fliptronic 2 board I am guessing there will be no damage
    on there.

    I am going to swap boards today and see if there is a difference,
    thanks.

    Kevin.

    "martin" <martin.reynolds@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > If the flipper coils are wired the wrong way, you could get weak flips.
    > Your Fliptronic board should be OK.
    >
    > The correct sequence should be:
    >
    > Blue-yellow Grey-yellow banded end of diode
    > Blue-violet Blue-grey Middle connector
    > orange-green orange-blue unbanded end of diode
    >
    > In your case, you don't have diodes. Wiring the coil backwards would
    > have been a good reason to cut them off!
    >
    > If you have the blue-violet and blue-grey wires on the middle pins, I
    > would try reversing the outer pins on one of the flippers and seeing if
    > that helps.
    >
    > You should get the diodes in there. There are more diodes on the
    > Fliptronic board, but it is better to be safer.

    Still not sure I have all of this. Where did the diodes go? And how do
    you know that the yellow-striped wires are at the banded end of the
    diode if the diodes are missing?

    The reason I am asking is because if the wiring is reversed, the hold
    coil will get the main flip current and the flip coil will get the hold
    current. The hold current goes through a 220 ohm resistor so you would
    get a slightly late, slightly lazy, flip.The coils are not symmetrical.

    They are new coils I have.

    > In the hold test, the flippers might or might not raise. It is a
    > low-power coil, so it is no surprise.
    >
    > At this point, I would be thinking new coils.

    OK, now I get it. I guess the next easy step is to replae the
    Fliptornics board, just to make sure that there is nothing funny up
    there. Then all that is left is mechanicals.

    no my new coils have diodes one of the old wrong ones that I removed didn't
    have diodes on it.

    > Still not sure I have all of this. Where did the diodes go? And how do
    > you know that the yellow-striped wires are at the banded end of the
    > diode if the diodes are missing?
    >
    > The reason I am asking is because if the wiring is reversed, the hold
    > coil will get the main flip current and the flip coil will get the hold
    > current. The hold current goes through a 220 ohm resistor so you would
    > get a slightly late, slightly lazy, flip.The coils are not symmetrical.

Games Video Games