Sign in with
Your question

Looking for gaming/video playing led lcd

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 1, 2010 7:40:56 PM

Hello,

I am looking to do some gaming and watching videos from my PC connected to a 37-42" size led lcd. I am in the market for one of these sizes, preferably under $1000.

I know I want; 1080p, led lcd with "full array" (local dimming) backlighting (not edge lit), 120hz with game mode option (which switches to 60hz), with a low response time and low input lag. I will probably buy this during December. I prefer shopping locally; compusa, bestbuy, sears, walmart, target are a few places.

The problem I am having is finding out the low response time specifications and input lag time is even more difficult to find :( . A big problem I am finding while shopping locally is finding any specific information on the model I'm looking at :fou: . So the best I can do is write the model number down and pray that I can find some good review online.

Been going in circles for awhile now... If anyone knows a good review website, is well informed with current models, or is willing to look at the sites for a good quality deal I would greatly appreciate it.
November 2, 2010 12:55:58 PM

Thanks for the post mhelm. Nice site with reviews and spec information. I suppose I should use google to research particular models even further. Do you know of any site that has information on input lag and lcd response times? Should I generally assume game mode (60hz mode) is included with 120hz led lcd?

I think I may consider edge lit models now since they are cheaper, thinner lcds. Full array lcd's have some problems as well I guess. Sources: http://www.presentationtek.com/2010/02/20/full-array-vs...
http://reviews.cnet.com/led-tvs-review-10-things-you-ne...
m
l
Related resources
November 2, 2010 1:21:43 PM

I wouldn't assume anything, the marketeers you know! The Sony kinda stated the PC mode and the 60 hz mode with the addition of three blur settings etc..
I don't recall seeing lag timings so you may have to go to Mfg's web site and ask or e-mail them directly.
m
l
November 24, 2011 5:23:50 PM

AfterImage said:
Hello,

I am looking to do some gaming and watching videos from my PC connected to a 37-42" size led lcd. I am in the market for one of these sizes, preferably under $1000.

I know I want; 1080p, led lcd with "full array" (local dimming) backlighting (not edge lit), 120hz with game mode option (which switches to 60hz), with a low response time and low input lag. I will probably buy this during December. I prefer shopping locally; compusa, bestbuy, sears, walmart, target are a few places.

The problem I am having is finding out the low response time specifications and input lag time is even more difficult to find :( . A big problem I am finding while shopping locally is finding any specific information on the model I'm looking at :fou: . So the best I can do is write the model number down and pray that I can find some good review online.

Been going in circles for awhile now... If anyone knows a good review website, is well informed with current models, or is willing to look at the sites for a good quality deal I would greatly appreciate it.

Were you able to find a TV that fit what you are looking for. Right now I am looking for the exact same type of TV and running into the same problems. No one seems to know what the lag times are or if you can disable the 120 HZ (game mode) If you have any advice, or found a good TV, that would be great info. Thanks
m
l
November 29, 2011 7:36:31 PM

LewDawg_14 said:
Were you able to find a TV that fit what you are looking for. Right now I am looking for the exact same type of TV and running into the same problems. No one seems to know what the lag times are or if you can disable the 120 HZ (game mode) If you have any advice, or found a good TV, that would be great info. Thanks

Unfortunately, no, I haven't found any good way of finding out these response times. I think a good way to test would be to take a laptop, hook up an hdmi cable to the TV, and move the mouse around while viewing how quickly it responds on screen. Maybe you have a smart phone that could do something similar? You just have to see if the manager will let you do it to the display only LCD's. If you can see an apparent delay even on "game mode" then the TV is no good. If you can't tell then you can assume a certain degree credibility...

I ended up buying a VIZIO - M370NV - 37" LED-backlit LCD TV - 1080p which has a game mode and I don't notice a delay. It has been good to me but not exceptional. For example, I can't actually adjust anything in terms of brightness, contrast, etc. Game mode has it's own predetermined settings set in stone for this TV. If it isn't on game mode, there is definitely a noticeable delay (~100 -200 ms) when using my computer/xbox 360. I think there might be slight delay (< 30ms) in game mode since my it always seems like my reaction time is slower than my opponents in FPS. But that could be a variety of things or just my imagination. There will always be a little bit of delay with LCD's and testing to find that out evening owning the TV is difficult when it is so minute.

Things I might do different next time though:
-LCD is fine - usually more lightweight than LED and less costly. I'm considering having one for traveling (such as going to a friend's house to game)
-Adjustable settings in game mode -- meaning spend more time testing out the TV at the store
-60 Hz is fine - I have yet to use the 120 Hz since I've owned it but I don't have HDTv or watch many movies. I'm always on game mode since I have my computer hooked up and xbox 360.
-Might try what I mentioned above

Good luck though! (if you haven't already bought something)
m
l
!