NIC insertion

Is there some sort of knack to inserting a new NIC into a DELL
Inspiron 8000. I've just tried inserting one now and it won't go all
the way home. I don't want to use brute force but it simply won't go
home.

I've tried running the setup disk and, not surprisingly, it confirms
that there is no NIC.

I came across a sort of black plastic blank during my efforts.

Help, please.

Colin

you machine has two 'pc card' slots that are next to each other. originally
they came from the dell with a blank card installed in each slot to keep the
connector from getting dirty. after you remove the blanks you can install
either 16 bit ot 32 bit type cards (essentially any card). you can install
either two type I or type II cards or a single thicker type III card.
depending on the type of nic you purchased it may well be the thick style
type III card that would require you to have first removed both blanks to
install it. what model nic do you have? does it have a socket for you to
connect an rj45 cable connector, does it have a xjack that pops out of the
edge to connect a cable, or does it have a short dongle cable that plugs
into the edge of the card that then allows you to connect the network cable?
it does need a little pressure to insert any pc card but not so much that
you should feel that you might break something.

"Colin Bearfield" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Is there some sort of knack to inserting a new NIC into a DELL
> Inspiron 8000. I've just tried inserting one now and it won't go all
> the way home. I don't want to use brute force but it simply won't go
> home.
>
> I've tried running the setup disk and, not surprisingly, it confirms
> that there is no NIC.
>
> I came across a sort of black plastic blank during my efforts.
>
> Help, please.
>
> Colin

It has an RJ45 cable socket on the outside edge and two leds on top of
the edge. It is 32 bit. There is no indication of type. It is just
called Card Bus PC Card on the top but underneath it says NET-LYNX
428X 4B and that it complies with part 15 of the FCC rules.

It looks like exactly what I expected, but it doesn't yield at all
when I try to press it home.

Colin

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:40:22 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
<muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>you machine has two 'pc card' slots that are next to each other. originally
>they came from the dell with a blank card installed in each slot to keep the
>connector from getting dirty. after you remove the blanks you can install
>either 16 bit ot 32 bit type cards (essentially any card). you can install
>either two type I or type II cards or a single thicker type III card.
>depending on the type of nic you purchased it may well be the thick style
>type III card that would require you to have first removed both blanks to
>install it. what model nic do you have? does it have a socket for you to
>connect an rj45 cable connector, does it have a xjack that pops out of the
>edge to connect a cable, or does it have a short dongle cable that plugs
>into the edge of the card that then allows you to connect the network cable?
>it does need a little pressure to insert any pc card but not so much that
>you should feel that you might break something.
>
>"Colin Bearfield" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> Is there some sort of knack to inserting a new NIC into a DELL
>> Inspiron 8000. I've just tried inserting one now and it won't go all
>> the way home. I don't want to use brute force but it simply won't go
>> home.
>>
>> I've tried running the setup disk and, not surprisingly, it confirms
>> that there is no NIC.
>>
>> I came across a sort of black plastic blank during my efforts.
>>
>> Help, please.
>>
>> Colin

Never seen that brand before. I've never had a problem with name brand PC Card
(aka PCMCIA) NICs from 3COM (with a dongle), Xircom (large end for attaching
RJ45 cable), Proxim (wireless) or Linksys (wired or wireless)... Ben Myers

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 07:56:47 GMT, Colin Bearfield <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>It has an RJ45 cable socket on the outside edge and two leds on top of
>the edge. It is 32 bit. There is no indication of type. It is just
>called Card Bus PC Card on the top but underneath it says NET-LYNX
>428X 4B and that it complies with part 15 of the FCC rules.
>
>It looks like exactly what I expected, but it doesn't yield at all
>when I try to press it home.
>
>Colin
>

>On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:40:22 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
><muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>>you machine has two 'pc card' slots that are next to each other. originally
>>they came from the dell with a blank card installed in each slot to keep the
>>connector from getting dirty. after you remove the blanks you can install
>>either 16 bit ot 32 bit type cards (essentially any card). you can install
>>either two type I or type II cards or a single thicker type III card.
>>depending on the type of nic you purchased it may well be the thick style
>>type III card that would require you to have first removed both blanks to
>>install it. what model nic do you have? does it have a socket for you to
>>connect an rj45 cable connector, does it have a xjack that pops out of the
>>edge to connect a cable, or does it have a short dongle cable that plugs
>>into the edge of the card that then allows you to connect the network cable?
>>it does need a little pressure to insert any pc card but not so much that
>>you should feel that you might break something.
>>
>>"Colin Bearfield" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>> Is there some sort of knack to inserting a new NIC into a DELL
>>> Inspiron 8000. I've just tried inserting one now and it won't go all
>>> the way home. I don't want to use brute force but it simply won't go
>>> home.
>>>
>>> I've tried running the setup disk and, not surprisingly, it confirms
>>> that there is no NIC.
>>>
>>> I came across a sort of black plastic blank during my efforts.
>>>
>>> Help, please.
>>>
>>> Colin

sounds like it is a type III card, one that fills both slots but has a
single connector. is it about 3/8" (11mm) thick. did you remove the blanks
from both of the slots? are you putting it into the lower slot?

> It has an RJ45 cable socket on the outside edge and two leds on top of
> the edge. It is 32 bit. There is no indication of type. It is just
> called Card Bus PC Card on the top but underneath it says NET-LYNX
> 428X 4B and that it complies with part 15 of the FCC rules.
>
> It looks like exactly what I expected, but it doesn't yield at all
> when I try to press it home.
>
> Colin
>

> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:40:22 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
> <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>>you machine has two 'pc card' slots that are next to each other.
>>originally
>>they came from the dell with a blank card installed in each slot to keep
>>the
>>connector from getting dirty. after you remove the blanks you can install
>>either 16 bit ot 32 bit type cards (essentially any card). you can
>>install
>>either two type I or type II cards or a single thicker type III card.
>>depending on the type of nic you purchased it may well be the thick style
>>type III card that would require you to have first removed both blanks to
>>install it. what model nic do you have? does it have a socket for you to
>>connect an rj45 cable connector, does it have a xjack that pops out of the
>>edge to connect a cable, or does it have a short dongle cable that plugs
>>into the edge of the card that then allows you to connect the network
>>cable?
>>it does need a little pressure to insert any pc card but not so much that
>>you should feel that you might break something.
>>
>>"Colin Bearfield" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>> Is there some sort of knack to inserting a new NIC into a DELL
>>> Inspiron 8000. I've just tried inserting one now and it won't go all
>>> the way home. I don't want to use brute force but it simply won't go
>>> home.
>>>
>>> I've tried running the setup disk and, not surprisingly, it confirms
>>> that there is no NIC.
>>>
>>> I came across a sort of black plastic blank during my efforts.
>>>
>>> Help, please.
>>>
>>> Colin

I have found a mention on the packaging that it is type II. There was
only one blank, presumably my son had earlier removed one. I've had a
good squint down into the slot and there is no sign of bent pins.
There are two buttons that operate independently and look as though
they would eject a card from the slot.

Everything looks normal.

I daren't apply any more pressure.

I shall have to drive over to the supplier.

Many thanks

Colin

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 11:51:55 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
<muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>sounds like it is a type III card, one that fills both slots but has a
>single connector. is it about 3/8" (11mm) thick. did you remove the blanks
>from both of the slots? are you putting it into the lower slot?
>
>"Colin Bearfield" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> It has an RJ45 cable socket on the outside edge and two leds on top of
>> the edge. It is 32 bit. There is no indication of type. It is just
>> called Card Bus PC Card on the top but underneath it says NET-LYNX
>> 428X 4B and that it complies with part 15 of the FCC rules.
>>
>> It looks like exactly what I expected, but it doesn't yield at all
>> when I try to press it home.
>>
>> Colin
>>

>> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:40:22 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
>> <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>
>>>you machine has two 'pc card' slots that are next to each other.
>>>originally
>>>they came from the dell with a blank card installed in each slot to keep
>>>the
>>>connector from getting dirty. after you remove the blanks you can install
>>>either 16 bit ot 32 bit type cards (essentially any card). you can
>>>install
>>>either two type I or type II cards or a single thicker type III card.
>>>depending on the type of nic you purchased it may well be the thick style
>>>type III card that would require you to have first removed both blanks to
>>>install it. what model nic do you have? does it have a socket for you to
>>>connect an rj45 cable connector, does it have a xjack that pops out of the
>>>edge to connect a cable, or does it have a short dongle cable that plugs
>>>into the edge of the card that then allows you to connect the network
>>>cable?
>>>it does need a little pressure to insert any pc card but not so much that
>>>you should feel that you might break something.
>>>
>>>"Colin Bearfield" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

the buttons as you refer to them are to eject the card once it is installed.
there is a ejector button for each of the two slots. if your card is not
fitting into one slot then try the other (assuming it is a type II card that
only take up one slot, aka half the total height of the two slot opening).

>I have found a mention on the packaging that it is type II. There was
> only one blank, presumably my son had earlier removed one. I've had a
> good squint down into the slot and there is no sign of bent pins.
> There are two buttons that operate independently and look as though
> they would eject a card from the slot.
>
> Everything looks normal.
>
> I daren't apply any more pressure.
>
> I shall have to drive over to the supplier.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Colin
>
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 11:51:55 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
> <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>>sounds like it is a type III card, one that fills both slots but has a
>>single connector. is it about 3/8" (11mm) thick. did you remove the
>>blanks
>>from both of the slots? are you putting it into the lower slot?
>>
>>"Colin Bearfield" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>> It has an RJ45 cable socket on the outside edge and two leds on top of
>>> the edge. It is 32 bit. There is no indication of type. It is just
>>> called Card Bus PC Card on the top but underneath it says NET-LYNX
>>> 428X 4B and that it complies with part 15 of the FCC rules.
>>>
>>> It looks like exactly what I expected, but it doesn't yield at all
>>> when I try to press it home.
>>>
>>> Colin

I'm ashamed to report that the whole thing was a false alarm.

The card was left sticking out by about an inch and I didn't think
that was good enough so I assumed it wouldn't go all the way home. The
supplier confirmed that it was all ok.

I think I managed to install the driver late last night and I shall
play with it later today.

I'm sorry to have bothered everybody.

Best wishes

Colin