Sign in with
Your question

Intel guy name Opteron the Slowteron

Last response: in CPUs
January 8, 2003 6:31:46 AM

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7073

A good 1.4GHZ not bad that the same speed a the celeron 1.4 so we can do a direct speculation.I hope for AMD that they can clock at lease 50% higher that IA-64 and not slower that XEON MP that will run at 2.5GHZ in Q2 2003

Now what to do??
Related resources
January 8, 2003 7:11:22 PM

I did have to kind of agree with the notion of 'FunnyHurtz' as a new label for AMD's PR rating. :) 

PC Repair-Vol 1:Getting To Know Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 2:Troubleshooting Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 3:Having Trouble Troubleshooting Your PC?
PC Repair-Vol 4:Having Trouble Shooting Your PC?
January 8, 2003 7:28:35 PM

Heheh yeah it is funny, except for a guy who gives info out, says a lot about how open minded he is...

--
Posting from the garden of Eden...
January 8, 2003 7:32:32 PM

That's true. Frankly though, 1.4GHz does seem like a frighteningly low number. I mean unless these things have well over twice the IPC of a P4, then their PR rating is going to be incredibly over-inflated. I can believe that they have a great IPC, but over <i>twice</i> that of a <b>P4 Northwood B with HT</b>?????????????

January 8, 2003 7:40:40 PM

I agree, this is something I do not look forward to seeing, the first performance samples of these. I think AMD is gonna really shoot themselves with a 1.4GHZ release.

--
January 8, 2003 7:47:19 PM

I think "gonna really shoot themselves" is a vast understatement if they stick to their planned PR ratings. I just don't see how one of these things is even going to come marginally close to the performance of a 333MHz FSB T-Bred B on an nForce2. They would have to have one massive hell of an IPC jump from the K7 to the K8 to warrant a PR rating even slightly close to a good K7.

And I don't even want to think about FunnyHurtz comparisons to P4 Northwoods and Xeons.

Hell, don't even throw Prescott theories into that comparison. I've had enough for one day. Heh heh.

January 8, 2003 11:05:53 PM

1.4GHz? Hey, if we can do it (think Willies) they can too. :lol: 

Actually, I kind of prefer the nickname <b><font color=green>Vaporon</font color=green></b> (trademark pending). :tongue:

* Not speaking for Intel Corp *
January 9, 2003 12:36:53 AM

LOL, it's actually a reality in some way: If Intel can do something, *you* can!

--
January 9, 2003 1:27:44 AM

From what I heard, Polywell actually jumped the gun. I'm surprised we're hearing about Opterons at all this early...

Besides which, it's quite normal for server CPU parts to be clocked lower than their desktop parts. They're expected/required to have a long lifespan, and that means they need to be lower-heat/lower-voltage parts. Thus why it's taken so long to see P4 Xeons even close to the speed of desktop P4's, or AthlonMP's to even reach 2400+.

And of course, this ex-Intel guy sounds way too fanatical to be thinking clearly. Maybe that's why he's a <i>ex-</i>Intel guy? :evil: 

<i>I can love my fellow man...but I'm damned if I'll love yours.</i>
January 9, 2003 1:40:41 AM

Xeon DP run at 2.8 GHZ and XEONMP run at 2.0GHZ soon at 2.5 wich may be the max of the core.That not so far away from P4.For the 1 that say Opteron have a high IPC to you want to compare IPC of a Itanium 2 or even itanium 1 to Athlon.

Now what to do??
January 9, 2003 1:51:51 AM

u cant compare IA64 to X86-32 K7....Thats my whole point Juin......all i said is u should know MHz means nothing...despite it *only* being 1.4GHz that means dick all if it actually performs well......thats my whole basis.....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
January 9, 2003 2:09:59 AM

We shall see....if it can do my simulations 2x faster, I'll deem it a hornyfyingly fast processor:) 

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
January 9, 2003 2:10:18 AM

LOL Juin compares the opteron to a celleron.
Hmmm... which one would i get? UH DERR.
Next up we shall compare the P4 and the via Eden! :lol: 

I just read an interesting report detailing how the cpu works in 1 2 4 and 8 way boards, and how the cpu scales remarkably well with things like the range of specX benchmarks.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>
January 9, 2003 5:18:10 AM

AMD is supposed to ditch the PR rating for the Athlon 64/Opteron chips. Lets just see if they stick to thier promise.

Thought I would add in that they are dropping it because they feel that the IT techs (which is what the target is) should know better than to believe the MHxz Myth.

Booky

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Booky on 01/09/03 00:19 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 9, 2003 5:29:18 AM

From all we've seen, it doesn't look like they're gonna drop the PR. However, one would wonder how the PR would go. As they'll be competing against several processors. The Xeon DP's, the Xeon MP's, Itanium 2, Power4, Alpha, etc. Are they gonna have separate PR's for each of these?

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.
January 12, 2003 6:21:20 PM

yes Mghz change the performance a lot a P4 a about 5% faster that a 486 clock for clock (according to intel) (L2 disable) on a spec int but a the same micron proccess P4 will be 2.5X faster clock speed resulting in a 1.5X to 2.0X increase in performance.

Now what to do??
January 12, 2003 6:22:51 PM

For what i read no PR for opteron it to hard to have a Pr to a opteron.

Now what to do??
January 12, 2003 6:34:07 PM

Ok 486=(instructions execute 3+ cycles) vs. P4=(instructions execute 1/2+ cycles). Are you or someone at Intel actually comparing the two?

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...
January 12, 2003 8:47:48 PM

intel.com somewhere in there tech journal i think

Now what to do??
January 12, 2003 9:42:26 PM

Juin grow a freaken brain. And learn about computers.
January 12, 2003 10:52:04 PM

No way it can be only 5% better. Look at Integer and FPU leaps in the MHZ gap, in Sandra. Way more than just the proportional increase.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:
January 13, 2003 10:58:04 PM

LOL

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>
January 14, 2003 1:24:25 AM

Well I cannot argue that of course, and I do believe it CAN be, but even then, it does not mean it will be same IPC in everything. In fact compared to the 486, the P4 FPU is much stronger, not to mention having SSE2. Juin just spews crap sometimes just to make himself wiser.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:
January 14, 2003 6:45:45 PM

ALU only FPu was not compare

Now what to do??
January 15, 2003 7:58:04 PM

Intel and their lackeys may outwardly mock the Opteron, but they, and most industry people, know that the Opteron will easily be infinitely more successful than the embarrassment that is Itanium. I don't care WHAT rating AMD uses, the Hammer will most likely come to be a serious play in 64 bit computing. Leaving Intel on the outside of the server market looking in...
Oh, and don't mock AMD's Funnyhertz (which IS a good line hehehe) too much, Intel is also now trying to 'educate consumers' about the 'megahertz myth'

my 2

Marge: Homer, stop picking at your head
Homer: Aw Marge, Im so sweet and tasty!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ralph Wiggum: I bent my wookie!
January 15, 2003 9:54:00 PM

most industry people,

Who newsys maybe IBM and Siemens.Most of the big OEM will follow intel.

Now what to do??
January 15, 2003 11:49:17 PM

You dont know much of what goes on do you juin. Even dell is looking at the AMD hammer for their machines. They have never even considered anything other than craptell and now they are looking at the hammer. If dell will do it the rest of them probery will too.
AREA_51
!