American Harman Kardon HK395 speakers - use in UK?

Hi,

I have been given a set of Harman Kardon HK395 speakers (2 satellite
speakers with a woofer unit) with a Dell Dimension 4300S. They are from an
American friend. The computer has an autosensing transformer. However, the
speakers' transformer (in thw woofer) and the plug are for US voltages.

So, is it possible to refit another transforer or use an adaptor for 240V UK
supplies to get them working, or is this simply a waste of money and, if so,
are a similar set available over here?

Thanks to any who can answer,

Andy

you could purchase an inverter at a diy shop to reduce the mains voltage
from 240v to the 120v that the speaker need. this would cost about 20-30
quid but i would sooner sugget spending 50 quid at amazon.co.uk for a set of
very good sounding creative i-trigue 3400 speakers (cetainly better sound
than the hk395).

"Andrew Lyall" <andy.lyall@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have been given a set of Harman Kardon HK395 speakers (2 satellite
> speakers with a woofer unit) with a Dell Dimension 4300S. They are from an
> American friend. The computer has an autosensing transformer. However, the
> speakers' transformer (in thw woofer) and the plug are for US voltages.
>
> So, is it possible to refit another transforer or use an adaptor for 240V
> UK
> supplies to get them working, or is this simply a waste of money and, if
> so,
> are a similar set available over here?
>
> Thanks to any who can answer,
>
> Andy

All you'd need is a converter (i.e. step-down transformer) to lower
the voltage. This could be a simple "wall wart" without any active
electronics like this:
http://www.beststuff.co.uk/voltage_conversion.htm (14 quid, incl VAT
and postage), although the things look a lot cheaper in the U.S. at
3 2/3 quid plus postage, e.g.
http://www.gooddeals.com/shopexd.asp_Q_id_E_197

Whether there are any complications involving 50Hz vs 60Hz,
I don't know. What do you guys have over there?

*TimDaniels*

"Christopher Muto" replied:
> you could purchase an inverter at a diy shop to reduce the mains voltage
> from 240v to the 120v that the speaker need. this would cost about 20-30
> quid but i would sooner sugget spending 50 quid at amazon.co.uk for a set of
> very good sounding creative i-trigue 3400 speakers (cetainly better sound
> than the hk395).
>
> "Andrew Lyall" wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been given a set of Harman Kardon HK395 speakers (2 satellite
>> speakers with a woofer unit) with a Dell Dimension 4300S. They are from an
>> American friend. The computer has an autosensing transformer. However, the
>> speakers' transformer (in thw woofer) and the plug are for US voltages.
>>
>> So, is it possible to refit another transforer or use an adaptor for 240V
>> UK
>> supplies to get them working, or is this simply a waste of money and, if
>> so,
>> are a similar set available over here?
>>
>> Thanks to any who can answer,
>>
>> Andy

the beststuff.co.uk site seems like a inexpensive source for the power
adapter but don't get the £11.99 one as it is rated 30watt and you need at
least 40watt. furthermore, i have found that these adapters which are
commonly left on all the time tend to fail over time so i would encourage to
get a model that is heavier duty than your requirements. the £19.99 model
seems appropriate, but if you can afford to spend a little more i again
recommend the creative speakers mentioned earlier (better sound and you
won't be limited to those strange, fat and relatively short cables that
hooks the hk395 speakers to the subwoofer - what where they thinking?).
if you want a look at the manual for the speakers you can find it here:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/acc/hk395/en/index.htm
under specifications you will see that line 8 details the power requirements
at 40 watts (not to be confused with line 4).

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
> All you'd need is a converter (i.e. step-down transformer) to lower
> the voltage. This could be a simple "wall wart" without any active
> electronics like this:
> http://www.beststuff.co.uk/voltage_conversion.htm (14 quid, incl VAT
> and postage), although the things look a lot cheaper in the U.S. at
> 3 2/3 quid plus postage, e.g.
> http://www.gooddeals.com/shopexd.asp_Q_id_E_197
>
> Whether there are any complications involving 50Hz vs 60Hz,
> I don't know. What do you guys have over there?
>
> *TimDaniels*
>
> "Christopher Muto" replied:
>> you could purchase an inverter at a diy shop to reduce the mains voltage
>> from 240v to the 120v that the speaker need. this would cost about 20-30
>> quid but i would sooner sugget spending 50 quid at amazon.co.uk for a set
>> of very good sounding creative i-trigue 3400 speakers (cetainly better
>> sound than the hk395).
>>
>> "Andrew Lyall" wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have been given a set of Harman Kardon HK395 speakers (2 satellite
>>> speakers with a woofer unit) with a Dell Dimension 4300S. They are from
>>> an
>>> American friend. The computer has an autosensing transformer. However,
>>> the
>>> speakers' transformer (in thw woofer) and the plug are for US voltages.
>>>
>>> So, is it possible to refit another transforer or use an adaptor for
>>> 240V UK
>>> supplies to get them working, or is this simply a waste of money and, if
>>> so,
>>> are a similar set available over here?
>>>
>>> Thanks to any who can answer,
>>>
>>> Andy

Hi,

Many thanks to all who replied. Appreciate it.

As a point of interest - do these inverters/voltage transformers make a lot
of noise in operation? The PC runs almost silently - so if, for now, I just
bought an inverter I wondered if it would produce any distracting whines or
loud humming noises.

Thanks again,

Andy, UK

they are silent unless defective or overworked (not sized correctly to the
application - ie, not able to supply the amount of power demanded by the
equipment attached to it, in which case they hum). however they do generate
heat and the cheap ones burn out because of it.

> Hi,
>
> Many thanks to all who replied. Appreciate it.
>
> As a point of interest - do these inverters/voltage transformers make a
> lot
> of noise in operation? The PC runs almost silently - so if, for now, I
> just
> bought an inverter I wondered if it would produce any distracting whines
> or
> loud humming noises.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Andy, UK

irrelevant for speakers/amplifier. if it was a something with a clock in it
(like a fax machine) then it would matter (as the clock would run slower).
in that case you would need something that also addressed the cycles/hz
conversion.

> UK domestic voltage is normally 240v at 50hz.
>
> A.

Hi,

.....Can I add some USB2 ports to this Dimension 4300s then, or would the
motherboard not recognise them? I was just going to get a PCI USB2 card but
saw one review that said one particular card needed a motherboard that could
cope with PCI version 2 - crashed the computer otherwise. Is this the same
for all USB2 cards?

Thanks for all your advice, again, it's very helpful.

Have a good weekend.

Andy

> Hi,
>
> ....Can I add some USB2 ports to this Dimension 4300s then, or would the
> motherboard not recognise them? I was just going to get a PCI USB2 card
> but
> saw one review that said one particular card needed a motherboard that
> could
> cope with PCI version 2 - crashed the computer otherwise. Is this the same
> for all USB2 cards?
>
> Thanks for all your advice, again, it's very helpful.
>
> Have a good weekend.
>
> Andy

Is the system a 4300-S or a standard 4300? In any event, most any PCI USB
2.0 card should work as long as you have a free slot (in either the
motherboard on the 4300, or the PCI riser on the 4300 S -
http://ordinateurs.free.fr/DELL/Images/dimen_4300s_back.jpg .

I bought an inexpensive one about 2 years ago for less than $20. Works
perfectly.

Stew

A decently made USB 2 card should install cleanly and easily in a Dimension
4300. USB 2.0 vs. USB 1.1 is a matter of chipsets and drivers, not the
motherboard support. The Dimension 4300 has an Intel-designed motherboard (with
USB 1.1 ports), and, as such, should be OK with any PCI add-in card.

.... Ben Myers