Games on my computer

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 8, 2004 2:45:05 PM

I have a huge problem with my computer in terms of games
lately. About a year ago, i downloaded the Empire Earth
game demo, it worked perfectly. Actually, most games one
year ago worked perfectly on my computer. However, lately,
most games i install do so correctly, but when i play
them, they go to the title screen. At the title screen, if
i press any buttons, a flash occurs and i am taken back to
the desktop, and the game exits too. I would like to know
what is going on with my computer because this happened
after i downloaded some microsoft windows updates. Thank
you.

More about : games computer

June 8, 2004 8:31:25 PM

Well Jimmy, your advice is very helpful, but it doesn't
seem to be working. There are no problems with my video
card after i went through your instructions. Now when i go
to the control panel, my sound card is having problems!
And sometimes i also get the mprexe and mixer errors. I
just don't know what to do, i have reinstalled the sound
drivers over and over again, i've disabled the sound card,
and re-enabled, re-installed it, but nothing seems to be
working. The games continue to flash back to the desktop.
Anonymous
June 8, 2004 8:36:57 PM

If you need some more help on this problem, the property
screen for the CMI8738/C3DX PCI audio device says that

"the NTKERN.VXD MMDEVLDR.VXD device loaders for this
device could not load the device driver.

Thanks again.
June 9, 2004 12:46:07 AM

Hi,

Sorry to hear you're still having troubles. :-s

I've covered all driver installation and troubleshooting possibilities
in the last post, which you might want to go over again before you
consider using System restore if you run Windows Me / XP, or
you reinstall Windows over itself if you run Windows 9x/2000.

Here's more options as well...

The most common causes for that problem can be solved with
these few steps. If the problem persists after you've tried these,
please post back and we'll try some more solutions. Good luck! :-)

1. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full...

2. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com Afterwards
Download & Run Spybot from: http://security.kolla.de to find any
Trojans, Adware, or Spyware which could clog up your system.

3. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
/ Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.

4. Go to the Windows Update site for everything under Critical and
Recommended: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

5. Update DirectX and your Chipset, Sound, &Video Drivers:
For all Video / DirectX / Game and Hardware Issues, I have a
Checklist of Solutions at: http://NibblesNbitsVideo.tk

6. If your system restarts by itself as a result of a STOP error, use the
steps in this article to stop that behaviour and identify the cause:
http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/windowsxp/bsod.htm

7. Click Start / Control Panel /Administrative Tools / Event Viewer /
Click the Applications listing on the left / in the right pane look for
yellow or red symbols and doubleclick them to identify any problems,
and they often have a link to a KB article you can read for the solution.

8 Allow Windows to control your pagefile at a "system managed size".
Be sure there's enough space for the pagefile size to = 1.5 * your RAM
Here's a tip: Set the pagefile to it's own partition or hard drive if possible.

9. Test your RAM using: http://www.memtest86.com/memt30.zip
after you extract that zip file, click on the README.txt file for the
instructions on how to create the boot floppy to test your RAM.

10. Click Start / Run / then type: sfc /scannow and press ENTER
to replace any damaged system files -or- Run Setup.exe on your
Windows 98/Me/XP/2000 CD to reinstall Windows over itself without
erasing your programs and data. Once everything works fine reinstall
updates one at a time from: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com while
testing the game after each update, in case an update caused the problem.

11. If you have room on one of your partitions, use it to install another
clean installation of Windows which you can gradually update with the
appropriate chipset, video, and sound drivers, as well as Direct X, but
with no extras including themes, firewalls, antivirus, etc. You may have
to reinstall the game(s) for use with that partition, but it's well worth it.

12. If you don't have enough space for step 11 I suggest you at least
create a new administrators account with no themes, firewall, antivirus,
or any other software or startup programs installed for that account. If
this solves the problem, then you should switch over to the new account.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19c4301c44db1$7cdfac00$a301280a@phx.gbl...

| If you need some more help on this problem, the property
| screen for the CMI8738/C3DX PCI audio device says that
|
| "the NTKERN.VXD MMDEVLDR.VXD device loaders for this
| device could not load the device driver.
|
| Thanks again.
June 9, 2004 1:26:01 AM

Hi John. I have a new computer (2 months old) and I installed a pile of Microsoft games onto the computer. they worked fine until I had my video driver updated and now none of the microsoft games work. It's pathetic...the store I bought the game tells me to contact the maker of the computer who tells me to contact the maker of the video card who tells me to contact Microsoft. Have you had any recent successes? Let me know. I'll share anything that I hear as well.
--
Mike

"John" wrote:

> I have a huge problem with my computer in terms of games
> lately. About a year ago, i downloaded the Empire Earth
> game demo, it worked perfectly. Actually, most games one
> year ago worked perfectly on my computer. However, lately,
> most games i install do so correctly, but when i play
> them, they go to the title screen. At the title screen, if
> i press any buttons, a flash occurs and i am taken back to
> the desktop, and the game exits too. I would like to know
> what is going on with my computer because this happened
> after i downloaded some microsoft windows updates. Thank
> you.

Anonymous
June 9, 2004 7:06:06 AM

Well, thank you a lot Jimmy, i reinstalled Windows 98 SE,
and everything is working perfectly. I still have to hunt
down and reinstall many of the programs, but the games are
working perfectly. My sound card also has no more
conflicts. For Mike, all I can offer is reinstall Windows,
or update your other drivers. Thanks a lot again you guys.
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 10:11:54 PM

You're welcome! Glad that worked out. :-)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

!