Monitor presents everything magnified

I'm helping a friend with a problem with his Gateway2000 running
Windows 95 with a Gateway2000 EV500 monitor. When the computer is
turned on, introductory screens look fine, but once the Desktop comes
up, a message appears in a small box:

NEW MODE

HF: 31.4 KHz
VF: 61.0 Hz

The message appears for only a moment and then disappears. The Desktop
is shown magnified considerably. For example, if Windows Explorer is
minimized, the parts of the toolbar including [Start] and [Exploring -
My Computer] take up 3/4 of the width of the screen.

The only similar problem I could find via Google Groups archive
involved a person who got the "NEW MODE" message (with different
numbers) but did not report any magnification. The people replying to
that message said that it involved the monitor, not Windows. But I
think it must involve Windows in some fashion, since the introductory
screens and DOS screen look fine, and the Windows screens look fine in
Safe Mode.

The magnified screen would potentially be a helpful Accessibility
feature, but Windows 95 does not have magnification as part of its
Accessibility options, or at least my friend's version of Windows 95
does not.

I ran ScanDisk, which fixed some problems, and I changed the Display to
"Windows Standard" from "Windows Standard large", but neither of these
fixed the main problem. Any ideas about what might be wrong or about
further tests I might do to determine what is wrong?

--
Raymond S. Wise
Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

E-mail: mplsray @ yahoo . com

I know nothing about these kinds of things. However, my suggestion is
to make sure the display driver is correct.

You also might want to check the manufacturer's site for the correct
drivers and see if their support documents deal with this problem.

Ray,

What sort of display driver and graphics chip are in your computer? Look at the
Device Manager tab in the System icon of Control Panel.

Did you recently switch monitors?

What you describe seems like an incorrectly configured display driver, possibly
a graphics card with S3, Matrox or ATI chip... Ben Myers

Raymond S. Wise wrote:
> I'm helping a friend with a problem with his Gateway2000 running
> Windows 95 with a Gateway2000 EV500 monitor. When the computer is
> turned on, introductory screens look fine, but once the Desktop comes
> up, a message appears in a small box:
>
> NEW MODE
>
> HF: 31.4 KHz
> VF: 61.0 Hz
>
> The message appears for only a moment and then disappears. The Desktop
> is shown magnified considerably. For example, if Windows Explorer is
> minimized, the parts of the toolbar including [Start] and [Exploring -
> My Computer] take up 3/4 of the width of the screen.
>
> The only similar problem I could find via Google Groups archive
> involved a person who got the "NEW MODE" message (with different
> numbers) but did not report any magnification. The people replying to
> that message said that it involved the monitor, not Windows. But I
> think it must involve Windows in some fashion, since the introductory
> screens and DOS screen look fine, and the Windows screens look fine in
> Safe Mode.
>
> The magnified screen would potentially be a helpful Accessibility
> feature, but Windows 95 does not have magnification as part of its
> Accessibility options, or at least my friend's version of Windows 95
> does not.
>
> I ran ScanDisk, which fixed some problems, and I changed the Display to
> "Windows Standard" from "Windows Standard large", but neither of these
> fixed the main problem. Any ideas about what might be wrong or about
> further tests I might do to determine what is wrong?

Thanks for the replies. The screen is now normal. Here's some
information about the settings:

Under "Display Properties"-->"Settings" tab, "Advanced" button,
"Adapter" tab, it showed:

ATI 3D RAGE II (DirectDraw)

Adapter / Driver information

Manufacturer: ATI Tech - Enhanced

Features: DirectDraw(tm)

Software version: 4.02

Current files: macxw4.drv,*vdd,*vflatd,macxw4,vxd,macxdc

Under this it showed the Refresh rate set at "Optimal".

In Safe Mode, under the "Settings" tab of "Display Properties" and to
the right of the "Color palette" was a box labeled "Desktop area" with
one slide bar which was set at "800 by 600 pixels".

In Regular Mode, the box to the right of the "Color palette" was
labeled "Display area" and had two slidebars labeled "Screen" and
"Desktop". The "Screen" slide stood at the far left of the bar and the
setting given was "7x0". The "Desktop" slide showed the setting
"800x600". I moved the "Screen" slide over until the setting given was
"800x600", and that appeared to solve the problem with the screen--so
far, so good.

--
Raymond S. Wise
Minneapolis, Minnesota USA