AMD & IBM TO JOINTLY DEVELOP ADVANCED CHIP TECHNOL

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~65496,00.html" target="_new">Linkappaloosa</A>

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

eden

Champion
I am surprised. However by 2005, I think Intel will be ready for them.

This is still good news, though I wonder if anything will come up soon from both. At least AMD is gonna use a very industry-leading partner.

--
Posting from the garden of Eden...

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
This is definitely good news. AMD doesn't have the vast recources that Intel has so it's much harder to keep up with them. Getting together with IBM is great for AMD. Now they can use IBM's deep pockets to stay afloat and develop technology which might take time. This is also very good news for AMD shareholders.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
This is very good, perhaps we shall see some interesting things w/ IBM now....hey, IBM's stock will prolly go up too....

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
IBM allready running to reduce cost and to disbande Power series.MR SAM should do the same as Fiorina and Capella

Now what to do??

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
This could also spell the inevitable buy out of AMD corp.

-Jeremy

:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5341387" target="_new">Busting Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I agree with Spud here. IBM's assets, and jut about everything is much more than AMD's and I don't think AMD's just getting free stuff here. IBM will learn much about AMD and may eventually just merge AMD into thier semi business, therefore effectively erasing the AMD company.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

G

I dunno if it's safe to assume a merger. There's been a lot of temporare work with two companies that don't merge or anything. NVIDIA worked with Microsoft to develop XBox's GPU, and Microsoft could buy out anybody, but nothing happened. IBM might just be going for an investment for now.
But who knows? AMD sells 20% of all CPU's, and I think if this legendary merge occured, it could reach 50%!!! If Dell, HP, or Compaq made deals with AMD, they'd really be set! But, a lot of people buy Pentium systems just b/c they've heard the name on commercials and they don't know what AMD is, and logically, don't try them.

Most people live at the speed of life, I drink Mountain Dew!

eden

Champion
Except selling IBM OEMs which is pretty known and fairly well selling (not to mention the annoying Buck-a-day commercials, for my fellow Canadians) with AMD processors will be easier, and AMD can rake in more.

What is interesting is that with IBM, they will be able to get the 65nm and even 45nm processes faster! I am quite happy since it is already clear AMD's conversion of process is slow and is not reliable. Now they are prepared for 2 generations ahead. I hope this turns out well though.

--
Posting from the garden of Eden...

mvsiangco

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2002
So what else is new?

In this world of mergers and corporate take-overs,
I am not surprised!

The problem is, who wins it all should they go back to competing terms?

" Money creates and sometimes destroys, empires!!!"(smile)

mvsiangco

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I don't care if AMD merges with IBM. I just want a non-Intel processor that is faster and cheper.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=26708#26708" target="_new"> Go to my CPU Vendor Poll </A>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I don't care if AMD merges with IBM. I just want a non-Intel processor that is faster and cheper.
What's wrong with an Intel processor if it's faster and cheaper? And besides, right now AMD isn't really much cheaper anyway. (I won't even touch the faster bit...)

PC Repair-Vol 1:Getting To Know Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 2:Troubleshooting Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 3:Having Trouble Troubleshooting Your PC?
PC Repair-Vol 4:Having Trouble Shooting Your PC?

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
What's wrong with an Intel processor if it's faster and cheaper? And besides, right now AMD isn't really much cheaper anyway. (I won't even touch the faster bit...)
Well I don't see anything wrong with an Intel processor. Right now they are faster, but they are only cheaper at a few speeds BECAUSE of AMD. If there wasn't a non-Intel CPU, Intel chips would cost twice as much. Also, budget PC's are a lot cheaper if you go with AMD. You can get an Athlon 2000+ for $75.00 while a P4 2.0 GHz costs $150.00.

And I also won't mind if IBM decides to buy out AMD as long as they keep building CPU's. On the other hand, if they buy them out, take their assets and stop building desktop CPU's I would be upset and even consider boycotting IBM for a while. I don't think that will happen though.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
The reason I say this is because of 2 things.

1. IBM and AMD are both in the semicon business. Microsoft and nVidia don't make the same type of products, Micorsoft software and nVidia hardware.

2. IBM has a line of PCs. If they could have a CPU like the Athlon to directly integrate without having to buy from a supplier of CPU, it woud save them a good amount of money.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Don't mind spitty. I don't think he likes Intel much... :tongue:

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Actually NVIDIA is an algorithm company they don’t do anything with the silicon that’s all TSMC.

-Jeremy

:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5341387" target="_new">Busting Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by spud on 01/10/03 07:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Intel will never be faster and cheaper same time compared to AMD or other processors. And I think they will loot enough money from average joes to keep them going, so it doesn't matter if I pay them or not. I used <i> loot </i>, reasons- 1) P4 Willamette 2) i845 SDR chipset

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=26708#26708" target="_new"> Go to my CPU Vendor Poll </A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Spitfire_x86 on 01/10/03 08:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Another thing that may be overlooked is the possibility of an AMD/IBM chipset. Everyone knows that AMD does not want to get into the chipset business. However, using IBM's resources to put towards R & D for chipsets makes sense. It would allow AMD to profit from boards made with their chipset and would give them more quality control (think Via) in the end product. In other words, AMD is thinking they could make a better chipset than Via and SiS and make some dough. It's just a thought, but it seems to make sense.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
If there is 1 to be disable that will be IBM ligne of CPU they getting slower and slower VS even Dead alpha even worse when compare to IA-64 ligne wich is hyper agressive and IBM cannot compete and dont want to compete.IBM PC sale market sale is going down when dell HPQ go up.HPQ is also becoming a dead-end OEM they get beat badly in there field IA-64 HP superdome under IA-64 is not ready when SGI is ready also NEC.IBM i will becoming more and more a service and software CORP that a hardware producer.

Now what to do??

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
What the hell does <A HREF="http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ligne" target="_new">ligne</A>=( n : a linear unit (1/40 inch) used to measure diameter of buttons ) have to do with chips?

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Ok you mean <A HREF="http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=lineage" target="_new">lineage.</A> It now makes a little <A HREF="http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sense" target="_new">sense.</A>