"IE could not open the search page"

August 3, 2005 3:19:02 PM

I've been getting an error from IE recently. If I type in a URL to the
'Address' bar, I sometimes get an error message that says, "Internet Explorer
could not open the search page".
When I click 'OK' in the error box, the browser defaults to the "Yahoo"
search page showing all the results to do with the URL I typed in.
My own default search 'Home' page is set for 'Google' so I have no idea why
this is happening.

Can anyone offer help?

More about : open search page

August 4, 2005 5:37:50 PM

I once had the same problem. What I did was that I scanned my pc and
removed viruses, spyware
and other malware. It worked afterwards

Peace,
Patrick.
August 4, 2005 5:37:51 PM

Tried virus scanning and spyware checking but the machine is clear.

Any other possible suggestions?

TIA

Scott

"Paddy" wrote:

> I once had the same problem. What I did was that I scanned my pc and
> removed viruses, spyware
> and other malware. It worked afterwards
>

> Peace,
> Patrick.

August 4, 2005 9:23:21 PM

"Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been getting an error from IE recently. If I type in a URL to the
> 'Address' bar, I sometimes get an error message that says, "Internet
> Explorer
> could not open the search page".
> When I click 'OK' in the error box, the browser defaults to the "Yahoo"
> search page showing all the results to do with the URL I typed in.
> My own default search 'Home' page is set for 'Google' so I have no idea
> why
> this is happening.
>
> Can anyone offer help?

Google is not a reconized in the "shell.dll libary" and IE will then go to
the default id.
August 5, 2005 4:19:01 AM

Thanks for the information, butI had been hoping that someone would be able
to tell me how to fix the problem and not just why IE doesn't default to
Google. The problem is that IE regularly (but not always) throws up the error
message.

"JOHN E. CARR" wrote:

> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've been getting an error from IE recently. If I type in a URL to the
> > 'Address' bar, I sometimes get an error message that says, "Internet
> > Explorer
> > could not open the search page".
> > When I click 'OK' in the error box, the browser defaults to the "Yahoo"
> > search page showing all the results to do with the URL I typed in.
> > My own default search 'Home' page is set for 'Google' so I have no idea
> > why
> > this is happening.
> >
> > Can anyone offer help?
>

> Google is not a reconized in the "shell.dll libary" and IE will then go to
> the default id.

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 2:39:55 PM

Most likely you have something that has hijacked the settings. Download
anti-spyware from microsoft. It has an option in it to restore your default
browser settings.

> Thanks for the information, butI had been hoping that someone would be
> able
> to tell me how to fix the problem and not just why IE doesn't default to
> Google. The problem is that IE regularly (but not always) throws up the
> error
> message.
>
> "JOHN E. CARR" wrote:
>
>> "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I've been getting an error from IE recently. If I type in a URL to the
>> > 'Address' bar, I sometimes get an error message that says, "Internet
>> > Explorer
>> > could not open the search page".
>> > When I click 'OK' in the error box, the browser defaults to the "Yahoo"
>> > search page showing all the results to do with the URL I typed in.
>> > My own default search 'Home' page is set for 'Google' so I have no idea
>> > why
>> > this is happening.
>> >
>> > Can anyone offer help?
>>

>> Google is not a reconized in the "shell.dll libary" and IE will then go
>> the default id.

August 5, 2005 2:39:56 PM

Already have Anti-Spyware installed. The IE settings and the 'Restore to...'
settings are exactly the same as each other so there's no real 'default'
settings to change to. Back to square one and still no real solution to the
problem.

Scott

!