Asus Laptops only support 4GB with Core i7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riccardo83

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Hey guys, I need a quick answer since I ordered my laptop already but still can change to a different model.

I have this one:
Asus X62J-JX034V - i7-720QM 4GB/820GB Blu-ray 16"HD GT 240M n/BT W7HP64

It has a Intel Core i7-720QM with a Intel PM55 Chipset. It says max 4GB.

Is that true? I thought the max GB is dependent on the chipset?

I believe that it also has something to do with the motherboard. Is it 4GB max per slot or total? I would assume that an i7 chipset could handle a lot more than 4GB, hence why I am thinking that it has something to do with the motherboard used.

In retrospect, really all I have seen with most laptops on the market these days is the fact that they are maxed out at 4GB. I wish I knew why that was, but it would appear that it is the industry standard. You'd probably have to move up to a gaming class laptop for more memory. I tried looking up the laptop, but all I can find are specs on it in German.

It's probably simply because the motherboard developers are lazy. To get more than 4GB, you'll have to buy sticks that have 4GB+ capacities, which are really expensive and hard(ish) to find. Not many people need that much memory, anyway.

Riccardo83

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
lazy? in a way to remove the limit? I mean the PM55 chipset supports more than 4gb definitely. not sure if i should go ahead with purchasing it,,,,

Kabobi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Its the specific laptop from Asus. I looked into this.
The P55M chipset supports even 16gb.

the HP Envy 15 can go up to 16gb on that same chipset. HOWEVER, it has 4 DIMMs whereas the Asus has 2. So, you MIGHT be able to buy 4gb+ sticks and put them in the Asus. I don't see why that wouldn't work given the chipset but Asus may have done something to the mobo to prevent that.

As previous poster said, 4gb+ DDR3 sticks for laptop are VERY expensive. I don't know what you need the laptop for, but 4gb may be enough.

Riccardo83

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
so you think i shoudl go ahead with purchasing, or get a hp? i though asus was great? I mean considering blu-ray and photoshopping i do need a bit of ram..

Photoshop really won't eat 4GB of memory. Only heavy HD video editing and your own sophisticated programming can do that. (for now, and it will probably stay that way for several years).

You shouldn't disconsider the Asus simply because you can't get more RAM in it that you'll probably never use.

Riccardo83

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Yeah, I get ur point. Still wouldnt it be wise of Asus to change that, coz pretty much all other companies do.

Furthermore running Virtual Machines, Linux under Windows 7 does eat a lot of memory...

VM's too. I always seem to forget about them because I never use them. I just don't find them useful. I'm not a software guy, though. All of my engineering applications run on both Windows and Linux, so I can simply take my pick at bootup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS