Sign in with
Your question

HeatSink Advice

Last response: in CPUs
January 9, 2003 8:15:06 AM

Hi Folks,
I'm building a new machine and am probably going for the AMD XP2700+. P4-3Ghz still to expensive...
I wonder whether it's better to buy the retail version (with original HeatSink/Fan) or OEM ???

BTW, for a gaming machine do you reckon the XP2700+ is OK???

More about : heatsink advice

a c 159 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 9, 2003 8:25:17 AM

If you plan on keeping the cpu for awhile, I'd go with the retail heatsink with 3 year warranty. I use a zalman "fan mate 1" to reduce fan speed. Works great as long as you're not overclocking. Running my p4 at 1700-2100 rpm, depending on the season. Costs only $5-7.
January 9, 2003 8:38:13 AM

Go for retail....not necessarily for the heatsink but for assurance it is not remarked.

As for heatsink itself, it depends very much on where you live and average ambient temp. If in hot region, use Alpha Pal 8045 + Delta 8cm fan + Zalman Fan mate to tune down fan speed as and when necessary. Otherwise, the OEM heatsink is fine.
Related resources
January 9, 2003 8:44:04 AM

The retail HSF is fine as long as you are able to supply it with plenty of fresh ambient air (cut a blowhole over the HSF or use redirect the air from an existing fan mount).

Unassisted HSFs (even good ones) are not very good at displacing the warm air from around the heatsink. They flush the hot air from the heatsink/cpu, but they are not very good at getting rid of it. Unless you use a monster fan, you will just end recycling a pocket of warm air through the HSF. Displacing the warm pocket with fresh air will make the HSF much more efficient.
January 9, 2003 9:40:28 AM

Cheers guys !!!!
Txs for the advice given...
However after reading some posts about CPU, I may change my mind and buy a less expensive CPU and OC it. Afterwall, the CPU prices in the UK are very expensive....XP2700+ retail £300 or $470...

Cheers!!
January 9, 2003 11:00:53 AM

Gor for a ASUS nForce 2 A7N8X Deluxe and a AXP 2400+ and some good PC-3200 DDR CL2 Ram......

Also buy the chip retail.....gives u 3 yr. warranty......as far as using a 3rd party HSF on a retail CPU yes u void ur 3 yr. warranty BUT AMD would never know what HSF u used.....as all they ask u when u RMA is the # on the silver sticker on the HSF so just keep the retail fan so u can know the # and thats that........

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
!