Dell laptops on eBay?

Who are the sellers selling new Dell laptops on eBay? Can anyone
other than Dell sell a machine with a valid warranty?

Are these machines refurbs?
11 answers Last reply
More about dell laptops ebay

    JJ wrote:

    > Who are the sellers selling new Dell laptops on eBay? Can anyone
    > other than Dell sell a machine with a valid warranty?
    >
    > Are these machines refurbs?
    Could be anything. Anyone can sell on ebay, Dell, a company, you, me so the
    sellers could be anyone and the laptops can be new or used or refurbed.

    To transfer a warranty IIRC the owner has to call/write Dell and tell them
    they sold the machine to a new person. If your looking at buying one you
    should probably e-mail the seller and make sure they will transfer it once
    the sale is complete (call Dell first to verify the procedures)

    On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 23:25:05 GMT, Eugene <nospam@columbus.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >JJ wrote:
    >
    >> Who are the sellers selling new Dell laptops on eBay? Can anyone
    >> other than Dell sell a machine with a valid warranty?
    >>
    >> Are these machines refurbs?
    >Could be anything. Anyone can sell on ebay, Dell, a company, you, me so the
    >sellers could be anyone and the laptops can be new or used or refurbed.

    I realize that it could be 'anybody'. :-) Yes, there are individuals
    selling their used or nearly new computers and a few who claim "they
    orderded the wrong computer" (yeah, right).

    I'm talking more about sellers selling in quantity, who list five or
    ten of the same model, new in box, below Dell pricing. Does Dell
    offer wholesale pricing to companies that turn around and resell the
    machines? It doesn't particularly seem to be in Dell's interest to do
    so, as it competes directly with their own mailorder sales.

    Are these guys pocketing the rebates and selling the computers? That
    seems like a lot of work for not much $ per machine.

    >To transfer a warranty IIRC the owner has to call/write Dell and tell them
    >they sold the machine to a new person. If your looking at buying one you
    >should probably e-mail the seller and make sure they will transfer it once
    >the sale is complete (call Dell first to verify the procedures)

    Thanks for that information.

    Every once in awhile Dell offers a really hot deal. These guys buy them and
    resell, on a small spread. Nothing you couldn't buy directly from Dell,
    with patience.

    Tom
    "JJ" <NOSPAM@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 23:25:05 GMT, Eugene <nospam@columbus.rr.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >JJ wrote:
    > >
    > >> Who are the sellers selling new Dell laptops on eBay? Can anyone
    > >> other than Dell sell a machine with a valid warranty?
    > >>
    > >> Are these machines refurbs?
    > >Could be anything. Anyone can sell on ebay, Dell, a company, you, me so
    the
    > >sellers could be anyone and the laptops can be new or used or refurbed.
    >

    > I realize that it could be 'anybody'. :-) Yes, there are individuals
    > selling their used or nearly new computers and a few who claim "they
    > orderded the wrong computer" (yeah, right).
    >
    > I'm talking more about sellers selling in quantity, who list five or
    > ten of the same model, new in box, below Dell pricing. Does Dell
    > offer wholesale pricing to companies that turn around and resell the
    > machines? It doesn't particularly seem to be in Dell's interest to do
    > so, as it competes directly with their own mailorder sales.
    >
    > Are these guys pocketing the rebates and selling the computers? That
    > seems like a lot of work for not much $ per machine.
    >

    > >To transfer a warranty IIRC the owner has to call/write Dell and tell
    them
    > >they sold the machine to a new person. If your looking at buying one you
    > >should probably e-mail the seller and make sure they will transfer it
    once
    > >the sale is complete (call Dell first to verify the procedures)
    >

    > Thanks for that information.

    Here's the URL to transfer your warranty with Dell:

    https://support.dell.com/dellcare/tagtransfer.aspx

    You really have to watch the listings carefully. With servers they will
    occasionally strip them down totally (including CPU) and have you buy the
    'standard' items at inflated prices.

    Also, most of these hucksters make their profit with exhorbitant shipping
    fees.

    Some are being sold by Dell
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31542&item=3472326638&rd=1
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3472326098&category=38121

    > Who are the sellers selling new Dell laptops on eBay? Can anyone
    > other than Dell sell a machine with a valid warranty?
    >
    > Are these machines refurbs?

    the key to the transfer of ownership is knowing who the system is currently
    registered to... and that requires the cooperation of the owner/seller
    which you may not get. if you win an auction i think anyone would be well
    advise to ask the seller the system tag number and the current name/address
    it is registered in so that you can call dell tech support and confirm that
    it is in their name (or you will never be able to get any support or
    transfer ownership). do this before you make payment as it is the last time
    that you will have any leverage over the seller. if they can't provide the
    information then you are better off with their negative feedback as a dead
    beat buyer than stuck with a machine that has no warranty.

    "Dave" <dshirsh@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Here's the URL to transfer your warranty with Dell:
    >
    > https://support.dell.com/dellcare/tagtransfer.aspx

    That's not Dell, it is Channel Advisors. Dell sub-contracts with them and
    you get the warranty, but you have to deal with Channel Advisor for any
    problems with the transaction.

    Just wander through until you get to the Contact Us.

    Tom
    "CSS" <nospam@ix.netcom.invalid> wrote in message
    > Some are being sold by Dell

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31542&item=3472326638&rd=1

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3472326098&category=38121

    > "JJ" <NOSPAM@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Who are the sellers selling new Dell laptops on eBay? Can anyone
    > > other than Dell sell a machine with a valid warranty?
    > >
    > > Are these machines refurbs?

    Here's what their link says:
    Products Back to Top
    Are these items really coming from Dell?
    Yes, Dell Inc. is the seller of these new computer systems featured on
    eBay. Winning bidders will receive a brand new (not refurbished) system
    built once the order is received that comes with all the benefits of buying
    from Dell.
    Back to Dell Home Systems on eBay

    Who is ChannelAdvisor?
    ChannelAdvisor is NOT the seller of these items. ChannelAdvisor is
    partnered with Dell Inc. to assist with listing auctions and coordinating
    customer service issues. Dell Inc. is the seller of these items.

    > That's not Dell, it is Channel Advisors. Dell sub-contracts with them and
    > you get the warranty, but you have to deal with Channel Advisor for any
    > problems with the transaction.
    >
    > Just wander through until you get to the Contact Us.
    >
    > Tom
    > "CSS" <nospam@ix.netcom.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Some are being sold by Dell

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31542&item=3472326638&rd=1

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3472326098&category=38121

    > > "JJ" <NOSPAM@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > > Who are the sellers selling new Dell laptops on eBay? Can anyone
    > > > other than Dell sell a machine with a valid warranty?
    > > >
    > > > Are these machines refurbs?

    begin 666 null.gif
    K1TE&.#EA`0`!`(#_`,# P ```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
    `
    end

    begin 666 btn_arrow_2nd.gif
    M1TE&.#EA"0`1`*(``/___V9F,__,,[&8,__PPN7EY<S,S+*RLB'Y! ``````
    M+ `````)`!$```,K"+K<&\&!,&(+I%XB]..=-8&A@@EH>:+54:RM\7)Q,=8F
    ,;@:'S!0&G\21```[
    `
    end

    The Channel Advisor website explains it differently. I think you're OK
    buying them -- it's not like a private seller, but I think it is a touch
    misleading

    On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 14:58:24 -0600, JJ <NOSPAM@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Who are the sellers selling new Dell laptops on eBay? Can anyone
    >other than Dell sell a machine with a valid warranty?
    >
    >Are these machines refurbs?

    My wife bought a Dell lapper on ebay. It was an older model. I
    forget what the warranty was--six months maybe. It was plain that it
    was warranted by the seller, not Dell.
    --
    Get on the NRA Blacklist: http://www.NRAblacklist.com

Dell Laptops Ebay Computers