Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

How will you know if your motherboard is not working properly? I'm not sure
if mine is working as it supposed to be. everytime I try to install a fresh
windows xp, after a while it does not boot. it says that the
c:\windows\system32\config\system is corrupt.

unrepper

Distinguished
May 15, 2005

are you formatting the hardrive before installing or installing XP over XP?
--
Don Kendrick

"eric" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How will you know if your motherboard is not working properly? I'm not sure
> if mine is working as it supposed to be. everytime I try to install a fresh
> windows xp, after a while it does not boot. it says that the
> c:\windows\system32\config\system is corrupt.

Try to do a fresh install after formatting the disk. Do not use quick format
if that partition already has other software installed. If to use quick
format uninstall all software and application before installing Windows XP.

If that does not solve the problem you may have any corrupted cd. When do
you get this message? Order another cd from Microsoft. That will be for free
if your that cd is corupted.
Motherboard most probably is not interfering with anything.

--
Regards,
Pramit Roy

"eric" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How will you know if your motherboard is not working properly? I'm not sure
> if mine is working as it supposed to be. everytime I try to install a fresh
> windows xp, after a while it does not boot. it says that the
> c:\windows\system32\config\system is corrupt.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I tried installing XP over XP...
I also tried installing it into a new hard drive. still received the error
after 3-5 reboots.

My memory is also fluctuating from 256 to 512 mb.. I'm not sure though of
this is the problem or the mother board?

"Unrepper" wrote:

> are you formatting the hardrive before installing or installing XP over XP?
> --
> Don Kendrick
>

> "eric" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > How will you know if your motherboard is not working properly? I'm not sure
> > if mine is working as it supposed to be. everytime I try to install a fresh
> > windows xp, after a while it does not boot. it says that the
> > c:\windows\system32\config\system is corrupt.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks all. thats another thing im considering.. a CD error. I have a new
disk and will try it when I get home.

As for the other advises.. I'll also try that. Thanks!

"Pramit Roy" wrote:

> Try to do a fresh install after formatting the disk. Do not use quick format
> if that partition already has other software installed. If to use quick
> format uninstall all software and application before installing Windows XP.
>
> If that does not solve the problem you may have any corrupted cd. When do
> you get this message? Order another cd from Microsoft. That will be for free
> if your that cd is corupted.
> Motherboard most probably is not interfering with anything.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Pramit Roy
>

> "eric" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > How will you know if your motherboard is not working properly? I'm not sure
> > if mine is working as it supposed to be. everytime I try to install a fresh
> > windows xp, after a while it does not boot. it says that the
> > c:\windows\system32\config\system is corrupt.

That type of message has nothing to do with your motherboard. It does
indicate the install of the OS has somehow become corrupt. On the basis of
your comments I would try a different hard drive.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/

"eric" <eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> How will you know if your motherboard is not working properly? I'm not
> sure
> if mine is working as it supposed to be. everytime I try to install a
> fresh
> windows xp, after a while it does not boot. it says that the
> c:\windows\system32\config\system is corrupt.

That message is an indication that a core part (hive) of the
Registry isn't readable. I would suspect your issue is more
likely a disk drive problem. You should do a Chkdsk on
your drive to determine if it is "Dirty" or has inconsistencies
on it. The problem could be the motherboard IDE/ATAPI
controllers. Without specifics on the MB you might need a
BIOS Firmware flash update or at the least update your XP
instance with the latest Chipset driver package. A new IDE
cable ($4) wouldn't be wasted money. You should also
check your BIOS settings for the IDE channels and that the
drive itself is correctly defined (Size, Access Mode) and a
check on the drive's mode (Master/Slave/Cable Select)
jumper is set properly.

"eric" <eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> How will you know if your motherboard is not working properly? I'm not
> sure
> if mine is working as it supposed to be. everytime I try to install a
> fresh
> windows xp, after a while it does not boot. it says that the
> c:\windows\system32\config\system is corrupt.

Eric
if you installed XP and get the error it has nothing to do with the CD you
are installing from....its outa there by then
Do as R.McCarty said and check your hard drive with chkdsk as well as the
cables and IDE drivers from your mobo website.
this will repair the problem..........then run chkdsk right away

Windows\system32\config\system File Is Missing Or Corrupt - With this
error, when XP won't start, boot with the XP CD and go to the Recovery
Console. Type:

cd system32\config [enter]
ren system system.old [enter]
ren system.alt systemalt.old [enter]
copy c:\windows\repair\system [enter]
copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system [enter]
exit

peterk
the problem

eric wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How will you know if your motherboard is not working properly? I'm not sure
> if mine is working as it supposed to be. everytime I try to install a fresh
> windows xp, after a while it does not boot. it says that the
> c:\windows\system32\config\system is corrupt.

How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

"eric" <eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> How will you know if your motherboard is not working properly? I'm not
> sure
> if mine is working as it supposed to be. everytime I try to install a
> fresh
> windows xp, after a while it does not boot. it says that the
> c:\windows\system32\config\system is corrupt.

It could also be your hard drive. Do you have any diagnostics?
http://www.cpuid.com

--
Stephen Goodman
Cartoons about DVDs and Stuff

"eric" <eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>How will you know if your motherboard is not working properly? I'm not sure
>if mine is working as it supposed to be. everytime I try to install a fresh
>windows xp, after a while it does not boot. it says that the
>c:\windows\system32\config\system is corrupt.

If you are geting these errors repeatedly, even after formatting and
reinstalling, and also after replacing the hard drive, then it is time
to look at other hardware, including (possibly) the motherboard.

My first step would be to test the RAM, because that is the easiest.
Download at least two of the following free memory testing utilities
and run them to check out your RAM:
DocMemory http://www.simmtester.com
Windows Memory Diagnostic http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
Memtest86: http://www.memtest86.com/vxcz

If the RAM tests out okay the next likely culprit would be
overheating. Make certain that the CPU cooling fan is firmly mounted
in place and that there is nothing obstructing the airflow. Check for
temperature monitoring settings in the BIOS setup of your computer and
configure it for an alarm signal at a CPU temperature of 60 degrees C.

Also check with your computer/motherboard manufacturer's web site.
Many of them have voltage, temperature and fan monitoring utilities
that you can install. Make sure that the installed utility is
configured to be automatically load at startup and to remain running,
and that it is set to give both audible and visible alarm indications
when a monitored item goes outside the allowable range.

Also make certain that the S.M.A.R.T. monitoring option for the hard
drive is activated in the computer's BIOS setup.

In addition to the hardware checking you should also ensure that your
computer is both virus and spyware free, as these items can also cause
the type of behavior that you have reported.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP