Sign in with
Your question

xp2800+ and Asus Nforce

Last response: in CPUs
January 9, 2003 2:27:36 PM

i cannot run xp2800+ speeds...

when i go to advanced chipset features, what should the multiplier be.. right now it's @ 133 and multiplier 6.5x i think and it's saying i have a 2200+

what do i do to run 2800+?

Is THG Slightly Slacking??

More about : xp2800 asus nforce

January 9, 2003 3:32:18 PM

1- clear your cmos - the manual explains this
2- set the fsb to 166
3- let the bios autodetect the multiplier
4- set the memory on aggressive and run it synchronous. I am assuming you have at least 2700 DDR SDRAM.

The Athlon 2800+ does not run at 2800 MHz. It runs at 2250 MHz. The 2800+ is a rating. In reality it gives you an idea of what P4 chip would be equivalent.

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>
January 9, 2003 3:54:09 PM

Man O Man!!! I hope this machine gets fixed before you blow a gasket dude!!!!

Take a deep breath & let it out. Fell better now?

It's only a machine after all. From all you posts it seems more than that to you at this point.

Just my $.02.

Signature, I'm still learning & having fun doing it!!!!!!
Related resources
January 9, 2003 4:00:36 PM

DUDE THAT"S WHAT IM DOINg

for some reason it's not working...

January 9, 2003 4:13:08 PM

Ok dudes.. look at what this says, and maybe there's a problem..(obviously there is)

well right now it's stable.. but it's saying 2200+ obviously that's wrong cause i bought a 2800+

now..

Advanced Chipset Options

CPU External Frequency 133mhz
Cpu Frequency Multiple [AUTO]
CPU frequency 6.5x
System Performance = Aggressive
CPU interface AGRESSIVE
memory frequency SYNC
result frequency 133mhz
then it has this

Sdram Pre charge delay = 6
Sdram RAS TO CAS = 3
Ras to Pre charge = 3
cas latency = 2t

now that's what it says.. now if i keep it like this.. but only change the CPU EXTERNAL FREQUENCY to 166mhz, the system becomes unstable and cannot boot.. it hangs.

please help me

January 9, 2003 4:17:01 PM

also i don't know what the hell happened.. but now i hear a girls voice when i boot the pc up.. ex... You FAILED floppy test.. in girls voice.. ? (i didn't connect the floppy yet)

also says, now booting from OS... WTF is this..

how can i disable that [-peep-].

January 9, 2003 4:18:05 PM

What speed and brand of RAM do you have in that thing anyway?

PC Repair-Vol 1:Getting To Know Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 2:Troubleshooting Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 3:Having Trouble Troubleshooting Your PC?
PC Repair-Vol 4:Having Trouble Shooting Your PC?
January 9, 2003 4:20:13 PM

Corsair PC 3200 XMS cas2...1 GB two 512's in the 2 blue slots..

January 9, 2003 4:21:30 PM

don't some people have like 5-2-2-2t do i gotta change those numbers? maybe the way mine are it's not running stable when i go to 166mhz(333 FSB)

January 9, 2003 4:21:46 PM

Dude! Your system is posessed by a demon! Sprinkle it with holy water the next time you hear voices come from it. You know you drove the demon out when when it smokes a lot. Sure, it'll probably kill the PC in the process, but better that than having Satan steal your soul!

January 9, 2003 4:25:27 PM

dude, i appreciate your sense of humor... but in 3 seconds, im gonna pull every wire outta my f*king system and then Stemp all over the motherboard and memory!!!!

SOMEONE PLEASE why the [-peep-] won't this system operate right!! HOLY [-peep-]!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

January 9, 2003 4:29:46 PM

You can disable the girl in the bios I believe. The girl is announcing the boot results. She tells you if there is a problem during booting.

Somewhere in the bios you can disable the floppy. It may be looking for it to boot. Check your boot order in the bios. If you are not going to use a floppy tell the computer to boot from the hard disk or the CD first. Remove the floppy as a boot item. Or you could go ahead and install the floppy if you have one you want to use.

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>
January 9, 2003 4:33:15 PM

I do on my system and I have the same memory. Well I only 1 stick of 512. You should be able to run those timings.

Are those timings (5-2-2-2) the aggressive settings or did you manually put them in?

January 9, 2003 4:33:21 PM

omg thanks... do you have a clue what setting it is? and also

do you have a 2800+ and this board... what exactly does your advanced chipset say?

if i change from 6-3-3-2T to 5-2-2-2t will that help?

January 9, 2003 4:34:13 PM

when i set to aggressive, it auto changes it to 6-3-3-2t

January 9, 2003 4:35:08 PM

Good RAM. It's possible (though I would imagine highly unlikely) that the RAM just can't take it at those settings. Maybe try making the RAM unsynchronous and setting it manually to 133MHz.

Of course it could also be a problem with too small of a power supply (what do you have for one) or even the heat sink being seated poorly. You should probably double-check those as well.

January 9, 2003 4:40:18 PM

Quote:
You can disable the girl in the bios I believe. The girl is announcing the boot results. She tells you if there is a problem during booting.

Aw. You mean it's not a demon? Shucks. :(  Ah well. Sometimes it can be hard to find holy water and even when you do, they tend to look at you funny when you start bottling it up.

:)  Seriously though, that's a cool feature. I take it then that they've made some significant progress from the old barely understandable voices and the LED indicators. :) 

So, does she have a sexy voice?

January 9, 2003 4:41:22 PM

I have the A7N8X Deluxe, XP2700+, 1 stick 512MB Corsair 3200 CAS2 RAM. I am not at home where the computer is so I can not tell you exactly what it says. 5-2-2-2T is very aggressive. That very well could be the problem.

Try 6-2-2-2T and see if that works. If not try 6-3-3-2T.

January 9, 2003 4:44:52 PM

That is way too subjective a question to answer, but she doesn't sound like the Charlie Brown teachers. It scares the pee out of you the first time you hear her, even if you expect it. I would probably just throw the holy water on the closest female. It won't do any good, but it would be fun.

January 9, 2003 4:57:50 PM

nope still no good.. im gonna try with 512mb instead of gig... because its loading up.. but XP isn't booting..

maybe that guy in one of those other posts were right, XP has a problem with a GB of memory and certain Speeds..

January 9, 2003 5:02:54 PM

ohh I haven't heard that. Let us know how it works with one stick.

Nice Smeagol. Smeagol helps.

January 9, 2003 5:06:15 PM

Easy come, easy go. Where did you rob the money for that system ?

Regarding the Asus A7N8X Deluxe, don't say I didn't tell you: <b>ASUS A7N8X Deluxe NOT recommended !!!!</b>

When do you learn to listen to adults ?

<i>/Copenhagen - Clockspeed will make the difference... in the end</i> :cool:
January 9, 2003 5:13:37 PM

Mine runs smooth. No problems. I don't know why he is having difficulty.

January 9, 2003 5:32:20 PM

I have a A7V333 (same basic board), the voice is disabled by a jumper. If you look in the manual, it will tell you which one. When you disable the voice feature, it will return to the standard pc speaker beep codes. If you leave it set to voice, you can record your own error messages and flash it to the BIOS.

Lobbest thou thy Holy Hand-Grenade of Antioch...
January 9, 2003 5:40:08 PM

I had to RMA mine as it simply became unstable above 150MHz FSB in dual-channel mode (slot 1-3 or 2-3) when memory frequency was set to sync. There are a huge amount of people who can't get the FSB all the way up to 200MHz without getting a lot of instability. I know that these boards are only certified for 166MHz operation, but the only thing that can justify bying them instead of the VIA KT400 is running dual channel sync operation at near the 200MHz FSB mark; mine couldn't even reach 152MHz.

The BIOS is a joke (every single one of them), full of flaws and limitations. They all seem to be available as Beta versions only, seems to me Asus won't commit themselves fully. Also people are reporting about low disk performance and even data corruption. I'm not impressed at all. I can't tell whether most of the problems has to do with the Nvidia NnForce2 chipset, it could be, but certainly Asus is not without guilt.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Copenhagen on 01/09/03 02:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 9, 2003 5:44:13 PM

cpu is 50c and case is 29..

431w enermax..

January 9, 2003 5:55:34 PM

What? Why does it have to reach 200 MHz fsb to justify it's existance. That is not the only reason to bring the board to market. I followed your thread and understand you were mislead by some of the overclocking abilities. But did you expect to run a 133/266 processor at 200/400 fsb?

I run my board at 175 fsb with the memory synchronous and no problems.

January 9, 2003 6:11:08 PM

dude, what are you talking about, i own a 2800+, and when i boot it's saying 2200+ 1.8 ghz... and when i try to do the things you say, it won't let me run the 2800+ speeds...

January 9, 2003 6:11:16 PM

Quote:
What? Why does it have to reach 200 MHz fsb to justify it's existance. That is not the only reason to bring the board to market. I followed your thread and understand you were mislead by some of the overclocking abilities. But did you expect to run a 133/266 processor at 200/400 fsb?

I run my board at 175 fsb with the memory synchronous and no problems.

The CPU (and board) has no problems running with even 211 MHz FSB in single channel mode with memory frequency set to sync, but it fails to even run with the standard 166MHz FSB in dual channel mode with memory frequency set to sync, that is, it can't even run with the standard 333MHz bus used in XP2600+, XP2700+ and XP2800+. Maybe Rob is victim to a similar problem.

In my opinion this board seems to have been rushed to market, before being properly debugged.

January 9, 2003 6:16:50 PM

ok, i am back... still no good.. I DON"T KNOW WHY!

um.. i know this is gonna sound nutz, and i basically kinda feel like i wasted my money.. because i can't run it at the speed it's supposed to.. but the system is running increddiably fast.. it's showing 1.8ghz, 1GB pc3200 Agressive and my gf4ti4200 .. i am very well still pissed, but i still have a pretty decent kick ass system.

um, 512mb no difference, it would get past the logo screen, then go black like it would load xp, but then just hang..

im really sick of Clearing CMOS... im gonna leave the system like this i guess, im happy with it. um..

also i got the voice thing off in the main bios screen.. i wanna thank all you guys for your help... im gonna call asus tomorrow and maybe they know something, if i do get it to run right, i will deff let all of you guys no.. but like i said i am very happy with the way this thing is running. it's really got a nice speed to it. even tho it only says 1.8ghz..

January 9, 2003 6:19:26 PM

let me just get this straight tho.. for regular xp2800+ speeds.. no OC.. just regular setup, the CPU is supposed to be 166 and memory set to agressive.. just wanna make sure, that's what i did, and couldn't get xp to load, it kept hanging..

January 9, 2003 6:25:45 PM

Ok, very good point. Somehow I hadn't picked up on what you just said so clearly. So the problem is only when you have memory in dual channel. Did you end up RMAing your board or what?

January 9, 2003 6:26:43 PM

Quote:
but it fails to even run with the standard 166MHz FSB in dual channel mode with memory frequency set to sync, that is, it can't even run with the standard 333MHz bus used in XP2600+, XP2700+ and XP2800+. Maybe Rob is victim to a similar problem.

It's really starting to sound like it to me. He has good RAM, a good power supply, and good temps. The memory timings shouldn't even be a problem with that RAM. That pretty much leaves fate or a bad mobo. It's probably time for him to consider RMAing it. Dropping it to single-channel should pretty much prove if it's the same problem that you had, right?

Quote:
In my opinion this board seems to have been rushed to market, before being properly debugged.

I don't think that's it. I think this is another case of Asus's infamously quirky quality control. Sometimes they rock. Sometimes you just want to shove frozen trout up their kazoo. (Or at least their own mobos.)

I had hoped that being a top-end AMD board, they would have gotten it right. They're usually good about the top-end products. Then again, maybe Asus just figures that anything AMD isn't top end anymore.

It's a shame. I was <i>really</i> considering going with the Asus Deluxe if I ever managed to get the money scraped together because I figured it'd unofficially support Barton ... if Barton ever comes out. (And I was tempted to try OCing a TBredA 1700+ to 166Mhz FSB as a temporary solution...) Now though, I'm afraid to try.

The question is, do any other nForce2 mobos have related problems?

January 9, 2003 6:27:16 PM

Yes.

Did you try with one stick of memory?

You may need to reinstall Windows.

January 9, 2003 6:30:08 PM

I don't have the problem but I am not running dual channel. So if you plan on using dual channel you might want to hold off.

January 9, 2003 6:35:09 PM

Quote:
im really sick of Clearing CMOS... im gonna leave the system like this i guess, im happy with it. um..

You crazy ?

You're running like a default XP2200+ with a low 133MHz FSB, nothing more. You're supposed to be running around 2.5-2.6GHz with a proper multiplier and 200MHz FSB dual channel sync mode, that would be kicking ass !! What you've got doesn't justify your expenses in any way and is really a sad story.

January 9, 2003 6:50:41 PM

Quote:
Ok, very good point. Somehow I hadn't picked up on what you just said so clearly. So the problem is only when you have memory in dual channel. Did you end up RMAing your board or what?

Yes, my local dealer has verified the problem and has RMA'ed the board. My exchange board should be available by monday or tuesday. If the exchange board doesn't allow me to go near the 200MHZ FSB in dual channel sync mode, I'll most likely sell the board and CPU. I have quality RAM, 2x256MB GeIL PC3500 Ultra CAS2 which has already proven its capability in single channel mode and it will most likely find its way into a dual channel P4 board (not Granite Bay).

January 9, 2003 10:29:02 PM

Yup, this looks like a problem with dual-channel memory.. I had to RMA my first A7N8X deluxe, 1000 bad things with it (one of the first that came to sweden). I got my second one, and it works quite well, only the bios isn't perfect yet, cannot fully unlock the multiplyer. Lowest multiplyer is 13, and i can run my 2400+ at 13*179 at 1.85V, and i think that is acceptable.

I also use Corsair XMS3200 Cas2 512 MB, only one stick though. The memory really kicks ass, I can run it at 179mhz synced, with timing of 2-2-2 cas 2.

I am thinking of unlocking my CPU manually now so I can get the FSB to 211 mhz. Otherwise I will have to wait for the next bios to come.

Atleast no real problems with it now, and I am quite satisfied with its performance.
January 9, 2003 10:55:18 PM

Let us know if you have any luck. I hope it is not a problem with all A7N8X boards. I think those that only run single channel memory are happy. But I also was planning on adding another stick of 512 to run in dual channel.

January 10, 2003 12:04:24 AM

"I have quality RAM, 2x256MB GeIL PC3500 Ultra CAS2"

I've read in tons of forums that GeIL ram is horrible. That and OCZ memory.
January 10, 2003 1:35:22 AM

nope i did try with 1 - 512.. but it was in a blue slot? does that make a difference? also did this work for you with the 1001G bios, that's what i have? maybe if i upgrade bios?

i totally get what your saying about i just wasted my money..

but it's really fast, and now what you said is making me even more worse knowing that it can be even more unbelievabley faster.

January 10, 2003 1:36:05 AM

what is RMA?

January 10, 2003 10:58:55 AM

im gonna have to return the mobo i guess, and get a new one... i ran PCmark2002

cpu= 5423
memory = 3925
and hd = 1079

January 10, 2003 11:18:26 AM

before i consider to RMA this board..

for the people who actually have xp2800+ and this asus board..
what is your Multiplier.. mine is on auto and then shows up.. 6.5x

also, to run in single channel? would it have to be in the first slot.. i just took out one of the 512mb chips .. so one of them was in the blue slot... does this make a difference @ all?

also would a new bios clear this problem up?? please respond back quick because if i do have to RMA this thing, i want to get my board back ASAP!

January 10, 2003 11:23:08 AM

Another good source of information for this MB is alt.comp.periph.mainboard.asus in the news groups. All of the problems with this board are listed there. The main problem is with the BIOS, The G rev is the worst. The new 1002 will fix a lot of the Mulit X FSB problems. I have the A7N8X/2600/2x256 Corsair pc 3500 @ 210 X 10 rock soild
January 10, 2003 11:26:06 AM

oh [-peep-], im running the G BIOS..

you think this will help?

ok how do i switch to the next bios, (that's STABLE)

January 10, 2003 12:15:38 PM

Go to the asus web site and get the 1002 bios, use the update utility that is on the mother board, be sure to choose update from file. It should work fine. This bios is a beta verison, like all of the other bios for this board. but I was finally able to set up my cpu correctly with it. Before this bios I was stuck at 133 X 16 if I tried to change it the MB would not post. You should read the A7N8X Bios thread in news group ALT.comp.periphs.mainboard.ASUS, it will give you a clear understand of the problems you are have right now and what you can expect with the new verison and Ideas on how to set up the BIOS.
January 10, 2003 12:20:43 PM

how do i get to that newsgroup?

January 10, 2003 12:35:55 PM

Do you have a news group server set up. most ISP have these servers. IF so just open up your e-mail/news reader in your browser select news groups and do a search for the group. Setting up the BIOS for this board is a pain but in short to set it up do the following: Halt on no errors, Post speech report disabled ( if yo don't want to hear bicthing betty), system performance user defined, FSB 166, CPU menu, Mutil X13 memory 100% (sync). FSB spread sprecturm disabled.
That should give you the basics for your cpu.
January 10, 2003 12:46:18 PM

wait.. when i go to 166mhz, it's 6.5x.. is that my [-peep-] problem????

!