Restarting

loeby2

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Hello,
I have windows 7 xp and it has been randomly restarting the last couple of weeks. goes right to black screen and then restarts. then got to log back in and then its fine.

loeby2

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012

it will restart at any point. it finall said that window had encounterd a serious problem and that was it nothing out of the norm as meesages

Could be RAM; test your memory, 1 stick at a time, with MEMTEST86+. Are there any messages in the Windows Event Logs? Does the problem happen while you're just reading your email or surfing the web, or just during [any] games? An overstressed PSU could also cause this. What brand and model (not just wattage) is your PSU?

loeby2

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012

both and how do you go about test the memory, and the psu? not to knowledge able on computer stuff.

loeby2

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012

not too knowledge able on computers what is the psu?

loeby2

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012

ok, we also might be thinking its the memory because i forgot that we have been getting a AVG message that its detecting a high memory volume and suggest to restart the computer. how would i go about cleaning that up if at all possible?

A high memory volume? High memory usage by something? High memory temperature? I'm not sure what AVG is detecting...
A shutdown / restart of your computer will clear out memory and then reload Windows. That is something you should do at least once per week.

loeby2

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Avg is detecting a high volume usage like as if the memory is over loaded and suggests that we restart the computer. one thing we are thinking of doing is getting a flash drive and downloading our stuff and then restore the computer back to the factory settings if that doesn't work then I guess its going to be some where in the psu. also my wife just informed me that the restarting didn't happen until we updated our avg security. also we have realized that the outlets in our apartment aren't the greatest either.