Update crashed xp pro?

Hi. I use auto update feature and over the weekend didn't bother to check
what updates were being installed, now the machine will not start. Just drops
to the F8 options window. Won,t even start in safe mode. My question is this,
Is there a way to check in the corrupt registry, what was the last install
that i did or update etc. I have the old hive that i can check through. Thx

Have a look at BartPE ( http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ ) this will create
a bootable CD that will enable you to see what is on the HD, if you
include Registry Editor PE (see
http://sourceforge.net/projects/regeditpe/ ) to your Bart PE build you
will be able to edit the registry on your HDD from within the BartPE
environment.

You may also get some help from:-
How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
Starting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

How to back up, edit, and restore the registry in Windows XP and
Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322756