Question on ATI Radeon 4650

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmark27

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
Ive been checking out notebooks with the ATI Radeon 4650 and most say it is 1GB, however when doing configs on Prostar and Sager, they list it with 512MB. I tried checking on the ATI website but they dont give specs on individual cards, just info on the 4600 series. Is it a case where the 4650 comes in both the 1GB and 512MB option? Any info would be great, thanks :)

Yes, it comes with both options. A lot of midrange cards are like this and it's basically just a marketing scheme. 1gb of VRAM is generally only needed when you are running high resolutions or lots of filter (AA and AF in games). These midrange cards usually aren't able to power games at high res or with lots of detail so just about anything over 512mb is a waste for them as it goes unused.

mrmark27

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
Great, thanks for the help. Given that, if I were to go with the HP config where they offer a 512MB 4530 and 1GB 4650, with the 4650 being $100 more. Would I notice much of a difference between the 2 gpu's, or is it a waste of the extra $100? I plan to do some light gaming, although when I do it would be on newer games and medium setting(dont think even the 4650 can do High on newer games) and watching hd video's.

I've already found that the intel integrated gpu cant handle the hd video and just produces garbage output.

FYI, he's talking laptops here, not desktops. Laptops usually are not as cost effective to build on your own. And that's if you can even find the parts you want.

mrmark: Yes, the 4650 will be a good step up from the 4530 and IMO is worth the extra 100 if you plan on gaming. Take a look: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html (select the 4650 and 4530 and click the "restrict" button to do a direct comparison.

mrmark27

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007

Great, thanks. I saw the benchmarks but was curious on how people thought of the 2 vs just relying on the benchmarks. I figure they're a good guideline, but also like to get peoples opinions.

shubham1401

Distinguished

Oops sorry...missed that notebook word in the 1st post.

Status
Not open for further replies.