Powerleap Processor upgrade units

djohn3853

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
If i read the literature correctly i can upgrade my Gateway Performance 700 Mhz PIII to a 1.4G for $160.00. Because my mobo is 100Mhz I'd have to go with the Celeron rather than 1.4G PIII. Anyone tried this company before. I want to upgrade for gaming. Will it be worth doing? Money wise it seems like a bargain.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually, your board might support 133MHz bus speeds as well, depending on the chipset. You should look in System Properties>Device Manager>System Devices to figure out what chipset you have (BX, i810, i815, i820). I have an adapter without the CPU for sale if you're interested.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

djohn3853

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
info on my mobo is WS440BX. couldnt figure how to find it in system devices but i have program SANDRA. got it there

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, so you're limited to 100MHz bus, but NOT to the Powerleap adapter. Read the blue section at the bottom of the Motherboard's faq and learn how to save money!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
It's better to get a new mobo and cpu. Also a better graphics card is recommended if you have anything less than GeForce3

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=26708#26708" target="_new"> Go to my CPU Vendor Poll </A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
He has a Gateway system with proprietary power supply size. While he could modify the case for a larger power supply, he'd probably just end up getting a new case and power supply. And it's a bad value for him. Why?

His motherboard supports Coppermine CPU's, which means it supports the lower voltage needed to run an Upgradeware adapter ($20 U.S.) at 1.5v with the Celeron Tualatin (1.2GHz is ~$45 U.S.). That's cheap. Heck, even the 1.4GHz CPU ($80 U.S.) would bring him in at $100. This is indeed a cheap upgrade compared to anything he would do with a new board.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
For $160, he will not see much benefit from a Powerleap Adapter + 1.4 Ghz Celeron, because he already have P3 700 MHz.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=26708#26708" target="_new"> Go to my CPU Vendor Poll </A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Did you not hear me say he doesn't NEED the powerleap adapter? I'm certain HE heard me say that. $100 max to upgrade.

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
Why do people get powerleap adaptors? Isn't it cheaper to just get a Athlon XP processor and a motherboard? If I read the article correctly, it would cost around $160 to upgrade to a 1.4 Celeron. A xp1700 oem is around $55 and you can get an inexpensive motherboard for $65 - $75 plus $10 for a good enough heatsink would bring you up to $140. Won't that outperform a celeron 1.4?

Yes but then you have to buy new memory and a new power supply. So add another $150 to $200 (and maybe a new case).
Then you have to do a complete format and reinstall the OS and all programs.

If you are not a hardcore gamer and just want a little more performance with a P3 platform this is a very viable alternative.

I aint signing nothing!!!

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
Why do you have to buy new memory and a new power supply? Athlons XP can run with SDRam, and a 250w psu can support it. I know the performance won't be the best, but won't it still be better than a Celeron 1.4? Formatting increases your hard drive performance and your saving $20, I don't think most people would mind.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lancerevolution7 on 01/11/03 09:40 AM.</EM></FONT></P>