Sign in with
Your question

Powerleap Processor upgrade units

Last response: in CPUs
January 9, 2003 10:47:46 PM

If i read the literature correctly i can upgrade my Gateway Performance 700 Mhz PIII to a 1.4G for $160.00. Because my mobo is 100Mhz I'd have to go with the Celeron rather than 1.4G PIII. Anyone tried this company before. I want to upgrade for gaming. Will it be worth doing? Money wise it seems like a bargain.
a b à CPUs
January 9, 2003 10:56:47 PM

Actually, your board might support 133MHz bus speeds as well, depending on the chipset. You should look in System Properties>Device Manager>System Devices to figure out what chipset you have (BX, i810, i815, i820). I have an adapter without the CPU for sale if you're interested.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 9, 2003 11:13:02 PM

info on my mobo is WS440BX. couldnt figure how to find it in system devices but i have program SANDRA. got it there
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
January 10, 2003 12:44:44 AM

OK, so you're limited to 100MHz bus, but NOT to the Powerleap adapter. Read the blue section at the bottom of the Motherboard's faq and learn how to save money!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2003 12:18:49 AM

He has a Gateway system with proprietary power supply size. While he could modify the case for a larger power supply, he'd probably just end up getting a new case and power supply. And it's a bad value for him. Why?

His motherboard supports Coppermine CPU's, which means it supports the lower voltage needed to run an Upgradeware adapter ($20 U.S.) at 1.5v with the Celeron Tualatin (1.2GHz is ~$45 U.S.). That's cheap. Heck, even the 1.4GHz CPU ($80 U.S.) would bring him in at $100. This is indeed a cheap upgrade compared to anything he would do with a new board.

a b à CPUs
January 11, 2003 1:11:14 AM

Did you not hear me say he doesn't NEED the powerleap adapter? I'm certain HE heard me say that. $100 max to upgrade.

January 11, 2003 2:08:25 AM

Why do people get powerleap adaptors? Isn't it cheaper to just get a Athlon XP processor and a motherboard? If I read the article correctly, it would cost around $160 to upgrade to a 1.4 Celeron. A xp1700 oem is around $55 and you can get an inexpensive motherboard for $65 - $75 plus $10 for a good enough heatsink would bring you up to $140. Won't that outperform a celeron 1.4?
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2003 10:37:56 AM

Yes but then you have to buy new memory and a new power supply. So add another $150 to $200 (and maybe a new case).
Then you have to do a complete format and reinstall the OS and all programs.

If you are not a hardcore gamer and just want a little more performance with a P3 platform this is a very viable alternative.

I aint signing nothing!!!
January 11, 2003 12:39:07 PM

Why do you have to buy new memory and a new power supply? Athlons XP can run with SDRam, and a 250w psu can support it. I know the performance won't be the best, but won't it still be better than a Celeron 1.4? Formatting increases your hard drive performance and your saving $20, I don't think most people would mind.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lancerevolution7 on 01/11/03 09:40 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
!