ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

I've got a 5 year old Dell 4100 machine that has been working fine.
However, now the video is "smeared" - it has dark strips where ever a band
of dark color exists on the screen. When it first happened the computer
hung up and I had to reboot. Then the screen came up with gibberish and a
screen full of the number "8"s. After cool down and ever since, it works
but with the streaks. I have proven it is not the monitor or the cable by
replacement so I assume it is the video card. The rest of the computer runs
just fine. I plan on getting a new computer soon but would like to fix this
problem so I can use the Dell 4100 for a time while I look for the new
machine.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is, how to fix it or what type of new
video card I could use in the Dell (if that truly is the problem)? The 4100
is a 800MHz, 512MB machine with a AGP 32MB NVidia geForce video card. I'm
not interested in upgrading this old machine but just want it to work for a
while with video that allows me to easily read e-mail and surf the net.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ray

"Ray" <raygkCUTSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I've got a 5 year old Dell 4100 machine that has been working fine.
> However, now the video is "smeared" - it has dark strips where ever a band
> of dark color exists on the screen. When it first happened the computer
> hung up and I had to reboot. Then the screen came up with gibberish and a
> screen full of the number "8"s. After cool down and ever since, it works
> but with the streaks. I have proven it is not the monitor or the cable by
> replacement so I assume it is the video card. The rest of the computer
> runs
> just fine. I plan on getting a new computer soon but would like to fix
> this
> problem so I can use the Dell 4100 for a time while I look for the new
> machine.
>
> Any suggestions as to what the problem is, how to fix it or what type of
> new
> video card I could use in the Dell (if that truly is the problem)? The
> 4100
> is a 800MHz, 512MB machine with a AGP 32MB NVidia geForce video card. I'm
> not interested in upgrading this old machine but just want it to work for
> while with video that allows me to easily read e-mail and surf the net.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> Ray

Ray,

It does sound like the AGP video card. Go to your local computer shop and
see if they've got another used 32mb or 64mb card they'll let you have
cheap.

That should fix the problem. (Heck, if I were planning on a new machine
soon, even a 16mb ATI Rage Pro card would suffice....).

If the problems persist, I'd be thinking motherboard or cpu - but it sounds
like the card.

Stew

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

> "Ray" <raygkCUTSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I've got a 5 year old Dell 4100 machine that has been working fine.
>> However, now the video is "smeared" - it has dark strips where ever a
>> band
>> of dark color exists on the screen. When it first happened the computer
>> hung up and I had to reboot. Then the screen came up with gibberish and
>> screen full of the number "8"s. After cool down and ever since, it works
>> but with the streaks. I have proven it is not the monitor or the cable
>> by
>> replacement so I assume it is the video card. The rest of the computer
>> runs
>> just fine. I plan on getting a new computer soon but would like to fix
>> this
>> problem so I can use the Dell 4100 for a time while I look for the new
>> machine.
>>
>> Any suggestions as to what the problem is, how to fix it or what type of
>> new
>> video card I could use in the Dell (if that truly is the problem)? The
>> 4100
>> is a 800MHz, 512MB machine with a AGP 32MB NVidia geForce video card.
>> I'm
>> not interested in upgrading this old machine but just want it to work for
>> while with video that allows me to easily read e-mail and surf the net.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>>
>> Ray
>>

> Ray,
>
> It does sound like the AGP video card. Go to your local computer shop and
> see if they've got another used 32mb or 64mb card they'll let you have
> cheap.
>
> That should fix the problem. (Heck, if I were planning on a new machine
> soon, even a 16mb ATI Rage Pro card would suffice....).
>
> If the problems persist, I'd be thinking motherboard or cpu - but it
> sounds like the card.
>

> Stew

Before I did that, I'd change to standard VGA drivers and then reinstall the
video drivers for the card. Could just be corrupted.

Tom

<snip>

> Before I did that, I'd change to standard VGA drivers and then reinstall
> the video drivers for the card. Could just be corrupted.
>
> Tom

Good point - though the repeating numerals/characters and stuff....

Certainly worth a try, you're right.

Stew

nVidia cards have been known to break down over time, due to excessive heating
and improper ventilation of the graphics chip. I have replaced several of them
for people here locally.

With the Dell Dimension 4100, you need to make sure you get a replacement card
that operates at 3.3v. The newest AGP cards operate at a lower voltage (1.5v,
IIRC), and will not work in the 4100. Some AGP cards are dual voltage,
operating in systems that provide either 3.3v or 1.5v.

The easiest thing to do would be to get another nVidia card, so you would not
have a major problem with the software drivers. If you replace the card with
either a newer nVidia card or another brand like ATI or Matrox, you'll need to
boot the system in safe mode, install the drivers for the new card, reboot,
crossing your fingers and hoping for the best... Ben Myers

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 00:15:01 GMT, "Ray" <raygkCUTSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I've got a 5 year old Dell 4100 machine that has been working fine.
>However, now the video is "smeared" - it has dark strips where ever a band
>of dark color exists on the screen. When it first happened the computer
>hung up and I had to reboot. Then the screen came up with gibberish and a
>screen full of the number "8"s. After cool down and ever since, it works
>but with the streaks. I have proven it is not the monitor or the cable by
>replacement so I assume it is the video card. The rest of the computer runs
>just fine. I plan on getting a new computer soon but would like to fix this
>problem so I can use the Dell 4100 for a time while I look for the new
>machine.
>
>Any suggestions as to what the problem is, how to fix it or what type of new
>video card I could use in the Dell (if that truly is the problem)? The 4100
>is a 800MHz, 512MB machine with a AGP 32MB NVidia geForce video card. I'm
>not interested in upgrading this old machine but just want it to work for a
>while with video that allows me to easily read e-mail and surf the net.
>
>Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
>Ray

Check the fan (if it has one) on the video card, it has probably failed.
Even if it doesn't have a fan this is a common issue with older Nvidia
cards. I see the streaks a lot with the TNT and TNT-2 series of cards. If
you don't need any more video horsepower, you can get a new Geforce 2 card
here:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GF2-TI-GTS-32&cat=VCD

"Ray" <raygkCUTSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I've got a 5 year old Dell 4100 machine that has been working fine.
> However, now the video is "smeared" - it has dark strips where ever a band
> of dark color exists on the screen. When it first happened the computer
> hung up and I had to reboot. Then the screen came up with gibberish and a
> screen full of the number "8"s. After cool down and ever since, it works
> but with the streaks. I have proven it is not the monitor or the cable by
> replacement so I assume it is the video card. The rest of the computer
> runs
> just fine. I plan on getting a new computer soon but would like to fix
> this
> problem so I can use the Dell 4100 for a time while I look for the new
> machine.
>
> Any suggestions as to what the problem is, how to fix it or what type of
> new
> video card I could use in the Dell (if that truly is the problem)? The
> 4100
> is a 800MHz, 512MB machine with a AGP 32MB NVidia geForce video card. I'm
> not interested in upgrading this old machine but just want it to work for
> while with video that allows me to easily read e-mail and surf the net.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> Ray

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

"Tweek" <shawnwinget@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Check the fan (if it has one) on the video card, it has probably failed.
> Even if it doesn't have a fan this is a common issue with older Nvidia
> cards. I see the streaks a lot with the TNT and TNT-2 series of cards. If
> you don't need any more video horsepower, you can get a new Geforce 2 card
> here:
>
> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GF2-TI-GTS-32&cat=VCD
>
> "Ray" <raygkCUTSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > I've got a 5 year old Dell 4100 machine that has been working fine.
> > However, now the video is "smeared" - it has dark strips where ever a
band
> > of dark color exists on the screen. When it first happened the computer
> > hung up and I had to reboot. Then the screen came up with gibberish and
> > screen full of the number "8"s. After cool down and ever since, it
works
> > but with the streaks. I have proven it is not the monitor or the cable
by
> > replacement so I assume it is the video card. The rest of the computer
> > runs
> > just fine. I plan on getting a new computer soon but would like to fix
> > this
> > problem so I can use the Dell 4100 for a time while I look for the new
> > machine.
> >
> > Any suggestions as to what the problem is, how to fix it or what type of
> > new
> > video card I could use in the Dell (if that truly is the problem)? The
> > 4100
> > is a 800MHz, 512MB machine with a AGP 32MB NVidia geForce video card.
I'm
> > not interested in upgrading this old machine but just want it to work
for
> > while with video that allows me to easily read e-mail and surf the net.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Replacing the driver did not change anything so I guess a new card is the
answer. There is no fan on the card, only a heat sink. I will get the one
you suggested above - not out much if it doesn't completely solve the
problem. Thanks very much to all for the advice and help. Now to get busy
on finding the new computer which I think I will build.

> "Tweek" <shawnwinget@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Check the fan (if it has one) on the video card, it has probably failed.
>> Even if it doesn't have a fan this is a common issue with older Nvidia
>> cards. I see the streaks a lot with the TNT and TNT-2 series of cards. If
>> you don't need any more video horsepower, you can get a new Geforce 2
>> card
>> here:
>>
>> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GF2-TI-GTS-32&cat=VCD
>>
>> "Ray" <raygkCUTSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> > I've got a 5 year old Dell 4100 machine that has been working fine.
>> > However, now the video is "smeared" - it has dark strips where ever a
> band
>> > of dark color exists on the screen. When it first happened the
>> > computer
>> > hung up and I had to reboot. Then the screen came up with gibberish
>> > and
>> > screen full of the number "8"s. After cool down and ever since, it
> works
>> > but with the streaks. I have proven it is not the monitor or the cable
> by
>> > replacement so I assume it is the video card. The rest of the computer
>> > runs
>> > just fine. I plan on getting a new computer soon but would like to fix
>> > this
>> > problem so I can use the Dell 4100 for a time while I look for the new
>> > machine.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions as to what the problem is, how to fix it or what type
>> > of
>> > new
>> > video card I could use in the Dell (if that truly is the problem)? The
>> > 4100
>> > is a 800MHz, 512MB machine with a AGP 32MB NVidia geForce video card.
> I'm
>> > not interested in upgrading this old machine but just want it to work
> for
>> > while with video that allows me to easily read e-mail and surf the net.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>
> Replacing the driver did not change anything so I guess a new card is the
> answer. There is no fan on the card, only a heat sink. I will get the
> one
> you suggested above - not out much if it doesn't completely solve the
> problem. Thanks very much to all for the advice and help. Now to get
> busy
> on finding the new computer which I think I will build.
> Ray

"AMD64"

:)

Stew