Sign in with
Your question

Will a faster CPU improve loading times?

Last response: in CPUs
January 10, 2003 2:40:57 AM

I just got a 9500pro and I'm finally able to run games like ut2k3, and nolf2 at the highest settings. BUT it takes a lot longer to load the levels because of the bigger textures and such. It will continue loading when the game starts, but after a little while i wont get anymore loading pauses (i guess since everything is loaded then). I have a 1ghz athlon and am going to buy a 2000+ Athlon xp soon and was wondering if my loading times will improve. Or will I only see improvement if I get a new Harddrive? I have a 5400rpm Maxtor hdd right now.
January 10, 2003 2:55:01 AM

You will have a definite improvement by upgrading the processor.
January 10, 2003 3:30:54 AM

Load times are going to be better with a fast hdd (7200 rpms or better) and a better processor

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 10, 2003 4:26:34 AM

If money is not a problem, then by all means upgrade.

But you may have to refer to manuals for the right RAM and other support chips for your processor.

There is still the compatability issue and you must have to make sure that what you buy will support the processor your planninmg to have( Athlon 200?)

Anyway, athlon have very good rarings nowadays so you dont have to worry very much!
Good Luck!

" IN this race of upgrading, who has the gold makes the diference!" (smile)

mvsiangco
January 10, 2003 10:31:56 AM

By all means get the Western Digital JB edition in the size that you want. The 8 mg cashe is the way to get data in & out. However the CD ROM will only turn so fast. Even with the HDD I just mentioned & XP2400 I still have to wait on the slowest part of the system, the CD ROM to spin it's guts out to get the level loaded. I was running a 1 gig Tbird before I built this machine. Does the 2 gig cut the load time in half, NO. It cut's it down some, but not a whole lot. Until they come out with like a 70X or 90X CD ROM I still have to wait on the ROM. I have a 54X CD ROM running at full tilt. The RPM's the drives are cranking out just isn't enough. I actually don't know haw much faster a ROM can get with the RPM's, but they're just not fast enough to feed a performance gaming machine. I'm currently playing SOF II.

Signature, I'm still learning & having fun doing it!!!!!!
January 10, 2003 11:38:48 AM

Here is one solution you can use to reduce the bottleneck of your CD-ROM, this works better if you have a burner. Get the burning software Nero and install the Imagedrive (which is a virtual CD-ROM drive). Then use your burner, if you have one, to make an image of the CD that you need to play the game, burners are better for copying CD's that regular CD-ROM's. Then launch the Imagedrive and load the image of the CD that you just burnt. Then play the game. The Imagedrive will read the CD image as if you were using the actual CD, except it will be reading from the hard drive rather than the CD-ROM and you will get better speeds.

NOTE: This will only work if whatever you use to burn the CD's is good enough to make a correct image.
January 10, 2003 12:34:19 PM

Daemon Tools is the program I use to do that. Don't let the CD-rom bottleneck anything.

In my opinion, the more memory and the faster your hard drive, the faster levels load. When my one stick of memory died leaving me with only 256MB of memory, I noticed a difference. I also noticed a difference when I got my 1200JB drive.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/ApJ/" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>
January 10, 2003 2:00:07 PM

Wow I didn't know they had that fast of ROM. I'm going to look at that. Thanks. hoserb2000.

I do have Nero on My Lighton burner. I'll have to try that. The Image Drive you talk about, is that included in Nero? I have a program called FileCD that does what you say. Can I use that? Man I've been sitting here all this time gaming & didn't know that??????? Guess my Sig. is right on then Huh?

January 10, 2003 2:14:35 PM

Quote:
Wow I didn't know they had that fast of ROM. I'm going to look at that.

Actually I don't think that moving above 40 or 48x read speed would help as much as you think. I also wait on my CD-ROM drive a lot, but most of the time is waiting for it to spin up from idle. After it is going full speed it doesn't take too long. I would like to try the Nero Imagedrive, but does that work on copy protected CD's? I tried copying my CD before to make a backup and the copied CD wouldn't work. Would I have any more luck copying it to an imagedrive? I guess the question lies in whether the errors came from reading or from writing. The CD uses Safedisk2. Last time I searched through Gamecopyworld.com they didn't have a CD Copy utility yet and the NO-CD crack didn't work. Maybe I am stuck waiting on the CD-ROM drive.
January 10, 2003 2:21:06 PM

I use Nero to copy everything. What I do make sure of is if the burner burns in RAW & RAW 96+. I find that out on Clone CD's web site. If the Burner is capable of the RAW modes & is using Nero it should copy it for sure. I've only found 2 CD's that I couldn't do that way.

I agree about waiting for the ROM to spool up. Once it's going it loads fast.

January 10, 2003 3:00:44 PM

Although the WDC JB drive is still a good cause it is quite important a factor and a very fast drive (i own one).

However your comment on the CDROM drive happens to be misplaced in this situation. UT2k3 loads levels, meshes, textures, directly from the HDD, not the CD. This would be why the game install takes up 3GB of HDD space. Many other games load things from the CD, so your point is valid in theory, but UT2k3 is not one of those games.

-Col.Kiwi
January 10, 2003 3:03:07 PM

As for you, I'd reccomend a faster HDD first, then a new CPU afterwards if you can afford it or want to spend the money. Also possibly more ram depending how much you have.

The Western Digital Special Edition (model numbers ending in "JB") drives that other guy reccomended are excellent. I own one, it's very fast. As far as the benchmarks I've read know, it's the fastest IDE drive on the market.

-Col.Kiwi
January 10, 2003 3:03:41 PM

I am getting ready to get a CD burner. So you are recommending Nero software and a burner that burns in RAW?

What do you think about the Yamaha burners?

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>
January 10, 2003 3:24:24 PM

Yes, by all means. The Lighton 48x I bought had Nero included & burns in RAW. To find out if any burner burns in RAW & RAW 96+ go here:<A HREF="http://link" target="_new">http://elby.ch/english/products/clone_cd/writers/a.html...;/A>

January 10, 2003 3:39:37 PM

Ok I am looking at Clone CD and one column says "Correct EFM Encoding?" For the Yamaha it says "almost". The following explanation is given for EFM Encoding.

<pre>Information on EFM from CD Mate just gives a guide to compatibilty with CD Mate. For drives which say yes under this category may not be capable of doing 100% correct EFM encoding. </pre><p>
What is CD Mate and is this something to be concerned about?

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>
January 10, 2003 4:08:24 PM

You know I'm not sure. Here's where I got my information from in the first place:<A HREF="http://www4.tomshardware.com/storage/20020617/index.htm..." target="_new">Link</A>
Although I've always know about RAW & Nero, so my burners have always been equipped that way. Hope it helps.

January 10, 2003 4:35:42 PM

I would really like to get the Yamaha because I can use the DiscT@2 to get a professional looking label for my discs that I give out. But I am not paying $84 for a writer that is "almost". Especially when I can get the LiteOn 52X for $61.

January 10, 2003 4:48:02 PM

<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20020927/yamaha-02...." target="_new">DiscT@2</A> is a really cool feature on the Yamaha.

Scroll down to the bottom and see an example of one. Tom's Hardware covers too much of the CD but a little label on the outside would be nice for customers and leave plenty of room to put info on the disc.

January 10, 2003 5:34:48 PM

I guess that I don't see it on my Nero or I'm not using it right.

January 10, 2003 7:49:23 PM

The Disc T@2 (pronounced tatoo) is not available on any CDRWs except the Yamaha.

!