Omnibook XE3 GC HD - HD adapter issue?

Hi,

I've had the notebook for about 2 years, using it almost exclusively.
About 3 months ago, the 10Gig Internal HD failed...so....I replaced it with
a 40Gig Samsung HD. All good so far.

At the time when I ghosted the original image, the PC was running
XP SP2 and was in tip top shape all around (I'm attentive to
maintenance and archiving on the PC since it's my primary workhorse).
It is a 900 Mhz P3
128 Ram
I use a Wireless Card to connect to my network at home and blah
blah....

OK, the problem is a little complicated....First the biggie....Using the
new HD flawlessly for about 2 months, I get myself a blue screen crash. OK,
no biggie. I reboot...everything's fine.

In about 2 days, it happens again....and again. Within a week of the
first crash, the Bios reports that it cannot find config.sys in System 32 or
that it is corrupt. All efforts at recovery are pointless. Nothing works.
OK, no big deal. I have the image of the partition ghosted. About an hour
and all is back to normal!......NO.

The first thing is that the bios reads the Samsung HD fine at 38.xx gig
The OS reads it as 8gig???

No workie.....

So....I have a buddy come over, we re-partition the drive at max
capacity. I re-install the OS and place the ghosted image back on the
drive.

It works flawlessly again for about 2 weeks. Then.....Blue screen,
bang, config.sys errors again?

No problem, I ghost the image fine this time...no OS HD problem this
time.

I install the image and within 6 hours it happens again??? Please note
that at this time, nor any of the other times, the HD is experiencing no
issues, no unusual sounds, buzzing, whirring, nothing. The PC works fine
and then boom...out she goes. No unusual activity except my normal music
work, email and such. I have firewalls installed, spyware, anti-virus, the
whole deal. The machine is clean and tested daily (overnight).

This last time, I go to ghost again and the OS reports the same 8gig HD
size and I can proceed no further. I'm not going to go thru this again.

(This is important)...So I pull the HD out of the machine and notice
that one of the pins on the HD adapter that plugs into the board is loose.
Now this piece is hard to identify and seeminly impossible to find. But, if
anyone knows these machines, they know the little adapter I'm talking about.
This piece fits over the OEM HD allowing you to plug into the IDE section of
the board. It is one of the pins on this piece that is loose, just flopping
around as it were. Now this would explain alot, at least I believe so?

So...my question is what is this piece called and WHERE can I get a
replacement? Another question is, would this be responsible for the errors
I'm receiving or is it more insidious than this?

Much obliged. I'm no expert, but I'm fairly familiar with all aspects
of PC components and such. If I was not explicit enough, I'll answer any
question to the best of my ability. I'm simply at a loss. I think this
little pin (HD adapter) is the problem, but hell...what the f^&* do I know?
:)

Thank you most kindly.....
--
Richard F. Sayage
Savage Classical GT

Anyone? Please!!!!! :) thank you...

Rich

"Richard F. Sayage" <rsayage1@ZEROSPAMsavageclassical.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> if anyone knows these machines, they know the little adapter I'm talking
> about. This piece fits over the OEM HD allowing you to plug into the IDE
> section of the board. It is one of the pins on this piece that is loose,
> just flopping around as it were. Now this would explain alot, at least I
> believe so?
>
> So...my question is what is this piece called and WHERE can I get a
> replacement? Another question is, would this be responsible for the
> errors I'm receiving or is it more insidious than this?
>
> Much obliged. I'm no expert, but I'm fairly familiar with all aspects
> of PC components and such. If I was not explicit enough, I'll answer any
> question to the best of my ability. I'm simply at a loss. I think this
> little pin (HD adapter) is the problem, but hell...what the f^&* do I

The piece that fits over the hard drive and plugs into the motherboard connector
is generally part of the entire drive mounting "tray" or bracket. HP parts may
have it, or may not, because HP may consider your computer too old for spare
parts. Check eBay for a complete tray. I sold one for a different HP laptop
recently there with the part similar to the one you want.

Yes, a loose connection can cause all sorts of failures, always at the worst
times... Ben Myers

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 08:42:24 -0400, "Richard F. Sayage"
> [...]

>> if anyone knows these machines, they know the little adapter I'm talking
>> about. This piece fits over the OEM HD allowing you to plug into the IDE
>> section of the board. It is one of the pins on this piece that is loose,
>> just flopping around as it were. Now this would explain alot, at least I
>> believe so?
>>
>> So...my question is what is this piece called and WHERE can I get a
>> replacement? Another question is, would this be responsible for the
>> errors I'm receiving or is it more insidious than this?
>>
>> Much obliged. I'm no expert, but I'm fairly familiar with all aspects
>> of PC components and such. If I was not explicit enough, I'll answer any
>> question to the best of my ability. I'm simply at a loss. I think this
>> little pin (HD adapter) is the problem, but hell...what the f^&* do I

Thank you, Ben...much obliged!

Richard

> [...]
>>> about. This piece fits over the OEM HD allowing you to plug into the IDE
>>> section of the board. It is one of the pins on this piece that is
>>> loose,
>>> just flopping around as it were. Now this would explain alot, at least
>>> believe so?
>>>
>>> So...my question is what is this piece called and WHERE can I get a
>>> replacement? Another question is, would this be responsible for the
>>> errors I'm receiving or is it more insidious than this?
>>>
>>> Much obliged. I'm no expert, but I'm fairly familiar with all
>>> aspects
>>> of PC components and such. If I was not explicit enough, I'll answer
>>> any
>>> question to the best of my ability. I'm simply at a loss. I think this
>>> little pin (HD adapter) is the problem, but hell...what the f^&* do I

One more thing. The drive trays for other Omnibooks and other HP notebooks
(Pavilions, but not Compaq-branded) are likely to use the same little adapter,
even if the drive tray itself is entirely different.

Name-brand companies (and their OEM system assemblers) now tend to use far more
standardized parts in notebooks (and desktops!) than in the past... Ben Myers

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 17:44:21 -0400, "Richard F. Sayage"
<rsayage1@ZEROSPAMsavageclassical.com> wrote:

>Thank you, Ben...much obliged!
>
>Richard

>> The piece that fits over the hard drive and plugs into the motherboard
>> connector
>> is generally part of the entire drive mounting "tray" or bracket. HP
>> parts may
>> have it, or may not, because HP may consider your computer too old for
>> spare
>> parts. Check eBay for a complete tray. I sold one for a different HP
>> laptop
>> recently there with the part similar to the one you want.
>>
>> Yes, a loose connection can cause all sorts of failures, always at the
>> worst
>> times... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 08:42:24 -0400, "Richard F. Sayage"
>> <rsayage1@ZEROSPAMsavageclassical.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone? Please!!!!! :) thank you...
>>>
>>>Rich
>>>

>>>"Richard F. Sayage" <rsayage1@ZEROSPAMsavageclassical.com> wrote in
>>>message

Yes, I've noticed. My buddy has 2 other "newer" NBs and the drives just
slip into the bottom, one screw, lift the door, slide her in, reattach and
done....now that's sweet! :) thx again...

Richard