How to change the default user directory name?

Received new PC as gift from "Bill", but at time of purchase, the store
registered computer under his name instead of mine - "Barbara". I've found
directions on how to change the registered owner name using regedit, but that
doesn't change the default directory name:

i.e., C:\Documents & Settings\Lane\....MyMusic etc., seems to be the
Default directory/path???..... and I want it changed to "Barbara". I know I
can create a new user - "Barbara", but all the "Lane" stuff is still there.

Contacted the store where PC was puchased (they installed XP), but they want
us to bring the box back so they can see if they can fix it. The tech there
couldn't find XP-specific instructions on how to change the registry to do
this. I've found instructions that come pretty close (for same purpose), but
apparently aren't XP specific.....

Anyway... yes.... we can take it back in if it comes to that, but what a
PITA!! Just hoping there's someone out there that can tell me exactly how to
edit register to accomplish this.

Thanks in advance!!

Barbara
(Just a mom with a PC in her Family Room, but can navigate in the Registry
just fine - with instructions) ;-)
5 answers Last reply
More about change default user directory name

    Replying to my own post to clarify the names thing. I named my PC "Bill"
    (that name has nothing to do with my question). Computer was registered
    under the name "Lane"..... "Lane" is in all the Directory path names, etc.
    As if my question wasn't confusing enough to begin with!! Sorry for that.
    Hope someone can help me sort this. Thanks!! :o)

    Barbara wrote:
    > Received new PC as gift from "Bill", but at time of purchase, the store
    > registered computer under his name instead of mine - "Barbara". I've found
    > directions on how to change the registered owner name using regedit, but that
    > doesn't change the default directory name:
    >
    > i.e., C:\Documents & Settings\Lane\....MyMusic etc., seems to be the
    > Default directory/path???..... and I want it changed to "Barbara". I know I
    > can create a new user - "Barbara", but all the "Lane" stuff is still there.
    >
    > Contacted the store where PC was puchased (they installed XP), but they want
    > us to bring the box back so they can see if they can fix it. The tech there
    > couldn't find XP-specific instructions on how to change the registry to do
    > this. I've found instructions that come pretty close (for same purpose), but
    > apparently aren't XP specific.....
    >
    > Anyway... yes.... we can take it back in if it comes to that, but what a
    > PITA!! Just hoping there's someone out there that can tell me exactly how to
    > edit register to accomplish this.

    The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
    _cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
    So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
    Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
    desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Barbara wrote:
    > Received new PC as gift from "Bill", but at time of
    > purchase, the store registered computer under his name
    > instead of mine - "Barbara". I've found directions on how
    > to change the registered owner name using regedit, but that
    > doesn't change the default directory name:
    >
    > i.e., C:\Documents & Settings\Lane\....MyMusic etc., seems
    > to be the Default directory/path???..... and I want it
    > changed to "Barbara". I know I can create a new user -
    > "Barbara", but all the "Lane" stuff is still there.
    >
    > Contacted the store where PC was puchased (they installed
    > XP), but they want us to bring the box back so they can see
    > if they can fix it. The tech there couldn't find
    > XP-specific instructions on how to change the registry to do
    > this. I've found instructions that come pretty close (for
    > same purpose), but apparently aren't XP specific.....
    >
    > Anyway... yes.... we can take it back in if it comes to
    > that, but what a PITA!! Just hoping there's someone out
    > there that can tell me exactly how to edit register to
    > accomplish this.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!!
    >
    > Barbara
    > (Just a mom with a PC in her Family Room, but can navigate
    > in the Registry just fine - with instructions) ;-)

    You're on the right track. You can create a new user Barbara.
    You then need to log on to that account to create the folder
    structure within C:\Documents and Settings. You then log off
    and log back on with a different account that is a Computer
    Administrator. The built-in Administrator account will work
    fine for this purpose. You can also create another account that
    is a computer administrator and delete it once you're done with
    this procedure. Once logged on you copy the Lane account into
    the Barbara account. Here are a couple of articles that you
    might want to take a look at:

    How do I copy a user profile in Windows XP?
    http://www.petri.co.il/copy_user_profiles_in_windows_xp.htm

    How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    "=?Utf-8?B?QmFyYmFyYQ==?="
    <Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in news:8BE3FAFF-AD49-4362-8D36-A6BB88A10B09
    @microsoft.com:

    > Replying to my own post to clarify the names thing. I
    named my
    > PC "Bill" (that name has nothing to do with my question).
    > Computer was registered under the name "Lane"..... "Lane"
    is in
    > all the Directory path names, etc. As if my question
    wasn't
    > confusing enough to begin with!! Sorry for that. Hope
    someone
    > can help me sort this. Thanks!! :o)
    >
    > "Barbara" wrote:
    >
    >> Received new PC as gift from "Bill", but at time of
    purchase,
    >> the store registered computer under his name instead of
    mine -
    >> "Barbara". I've found directions on how to change the
    >> registered owner name using regedit, but that doesn't
    change
    >> the default directory name:
    >>
    >> i.e., C:\Documents & Settings\Lane\....MyMusic etc.,
    seems to
    >> be the Default directory/path???..... and I want it
    changed to
    >> "Barbara". I know I can create a new user - "Barbara",
    but all
    >> the "Lane" stuff is still there.
    >>
    >> Contacted the store where PC was puchased (they installed
    XP),
    >> but they want us to bring the box back so they can see if
    they
    >> can fix it. The tech there couldn't find XP-specific
    >> instructions on how to change the registry to do this.
    I've
    >> found instructions that come pretty close (for same
    purpose),
    >> but apparently aren't XP specific.....
    >>
    >> Anyway... yes.... we can take it back in if it comes to
    that,
    >> but what a PITA!! Just hoping there's someone out there
    that
    >> can tell me exactly how to edit register to accomplish
    this.

    >> Thanks in advance!!
    >>
    >> Barbara
    >> (Just a mom with a PC in her Family Room, but can
    navigate in
    >> the Registry just fine - with instructions) ;-)

    No need to tinker with the registry, try this:

    Create a new account named Barbara; that will create a
    directory tree specific to the new account and named C:
    \Documents and Settings\Barbara.

    Logout and login again as Barbara.

    Delete the Lane account. You will be asked whether you want
    to save or delete the data files for account Lane (C:
    \Documents and Settings\Lane\*.*).

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    > Barbara wrote:
    > > Received new PC as gift from "Bill", but at time of purchase, the store
    > > registered computer under his name instead of mine - "Barbara". I've found
    > > directions on how to change the registered owner name using regedit, but that
    > > doesn't change the default directory name:
    > >
    > > i.e., C:\Documents & Settings\Lane\....MyMusic etc., seems to be the
    > > Default directory/path???..... and I want it changed to "Barbara". I know I
    > > can create a new user - "Barbara", but all the "Lane" stuff is still there.
    > >
    > > Contacted the store where PC was puchased (they installed XP), but they want
    > > us to bring the box back so they can see if they can fix it. The tech there
    > > couldn't find XP-specific instructions on how to change the registry to do
    > > this. I've found instructions that come pretty close (for same purpose), but
    > > apparently aren't XP specific.....
    > >
    > > Anyway... yes.... we can take it back in if it comes to that, but what a
    > > PITA!! Just hoping there's someone out there that can tell me exactly how to
    > > edit register to accomplish this.
    > >

    > The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
    > _cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
    > So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
    > Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
    > desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).
    >
    > HOW TO Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783
    >
    > How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    Thank you McSpreader, Nepatsfan & Bruce for your replies. I had already
    created a "Barbara" account (with administrator priviledges), but no matter
    what I've tried, the "Lane" account is still there..... under C:\Documents &
    Settings\Lane

    The error says:

    "Lane is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run
    properly. It cannot be renamed, moved or deleted."

    Please note, at the Logon Screen, the only accounts that were showing / that
    I could logon with were "Barbara" and "Guest". With "Barbara", I created an
    account named "Fixit" per instructions here - but still cannot do anything
    with "Lane".

    Please also note that these are the accounts listed via Windows Explorer:

    C:\Documents & Settings
    All Users
    Barbara
    Default User
    Fixit
    Guest
    Lane
    LocalService
    NetworkService

    There *is* a "WINDOWS" file within "Lane", with nothing in it that I can see
    even after going into folder options to show hidden and protected files.

    There is also a "WINDOWS" file directly under C:\ (in the tree)... and I can
    see all the files in that folder.

    As such, I was thinking the only 'fix' is within the registry??

    Barbara

Default Windows XP