drivers for Inspiron 1000

a friend has an Inspiron 1000 for sale. I'd like to buy it, but would prefer
to have windows98se instead of XP... I checked the Dell website, but no
drivers for the hardware are listed. Any suggestions?

m9876c at yahoo dot com

"Al Dente" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
>a friend has an Inspiron 1000 for sale. I'd like to buy it, but would
>prefer
> to have windows98se instead of XP... I checked the Dell website, but no
> drivers for the hardware are listed. Any suggestions?
>
> m9876c at yahoo dot com

Two thoughts

1) It is highly unlikely that Dell offers/offered drivers for a fairly
recent machine for an operating system that is 7 years old.
2) Why? XP is considerably more stable, reliabled, supported, etc,etc,etc

Tom

Al Dente wrote:

> a friend has an Inspiron 1000 for sale. I'd like to buy it, but would prefer
> to have windows98se instead of XP... I checked the Dell website, but no
> drivers for the hardware are listed. Any suggestions?

Why in the world would you want 98 instead of XP?

Bob

mostly because:

1. win98 takes up about 1/3 the hard drive space that even a minimal XP
installation does. It also will run happily with about half the RAM that XP
wants!

2. I can create a "ghost" image of my drive, store it on a CD, and restore
my system in about 5-10 minutes anytime I feel it's been compromised. I know
XP has "self-healing" properties (or claims to), but I'd have to do it from
a DVD, and it would take longer to accomplish each time.

3. I have only found one thing that XP can do that my win98se systems can't,
and that's make TODAY screens for my Ipaq.

4. since programs don't run faster/better in XP, why should I change?

5. And finally, you folks running XP will be increasingly at risk from
malware, but SOME of the viruses and such don't affect win98! So much for
your "stability" and "safety" and "security"!!!

Oh, did I mention that I NEVER have to worry about updates? Yet Microsloth
will keep bombarding you with "improvements", making up for their screwed up
software on a daily basis...

You asked, I answered.....

Al Dente wrote:

> 4. since programs don't run faster/better in XP, why should I change?

I assume you're happily running some very old programs. Not too many new
versions being released that will even install on 98.

Bob

yes, lots of old programs.... like

wireless connection to web at hotspots
playing DVDs
ripping DVDs
Burning DVDs
GPS receiver (on my laptop)
pulling in video and audio thru a firewire connection, then editing and
burning to DVD

guess I'm just old fashioned...

Al Dente wrote:

> yes, lots of old programs.... like
>
> wireless connection to web at hotspots
> playing DVDs
> ripping DVDs
> Burning DVDs
> GPS receiver (on my laptop)
> pulling in video and audio thru a firewire connection, then editing and
> burning to DVD
>
> guess I'm just old fashioned...

Suit yourself.

Bob