Sign in with
Your question

Copying VHS tapes to DVD

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 11, 2010 3:07:15 PM

I am trying to convert my old VHS tapes to DVD. Problem is my DVD recorder says it can't as the VHS tape is copyright protected.
I am using a liteon lvw 5025ghc+ dvd/hdd recorder to copy my old vhs tapes.
VCR scart connected to Scart(in) on my liteon.
Can someone please advise on

1, how can I copy from my Bush VHS player/recorder to my liteon 5025.
2, Am I also correct in thinking if I own the original VHS copy of a film I can legally make a DVD copy?

More about : copying vhs tapes dvd

November 24, 2010 1:38:40 PM

If a tape is copy guarded there is no legal way to copy it. There have been occasional copy guard adapters, which are illegal, and a program called "DVD shrink" which is also illegal.
Why don't you just buy DVDs?
February 19, 2011 9:10:53 PM

375865,1,761025 said:
I am trying to convert my old VHS tapes to DVD. Problem is my DVD recorder says it can't as the VHS tape is copyright protected.
I am using a liteon lvw 5025ghc+ dvd/hdd recorder to copy my old vhs tapes.
The problem with copying commercial VHS tapes is a feature named Macrovision which inserts some information into the blankiing interval of the video frame. You cannot see this on a normal TV or video monitor. On a waveform monitor this information looks like a row of blocks which alternates from 0% luminance to over 100% luminance level. Most televisions will cope with this allowing you to watch the movie. If you try to copy it to another VHS recorder the input gain control trys to compensate for this by crushing the video level when the blocks are over 100% which crushes the overall video signal in particular the burst and sync. Thismakes the vieo signal something that the recording VCR cannot record and when you play it back the recorded image is unwatchable.
When recording a VHS tape with Macrovision to a DVD recorder, the DVR recorder is looking for the information in the blanking interval and simply denies recording if it detects it. There is a simple way around this which is to mask the blanking interval which can be difficult or to copy it through a device which ignores the blanking interval effectively masking it. Panasonic used to make two budget vision and effects mixers which perform this function. The model numbers are WJ-MX10 and WJ-MX12. I have an MX12 and it does the job perfectly. I use it to copy old VHS tapes and laserdiscs that I can't get on DVD and I still have the original tapes and discs. These mixers come up on Ebay from time to time and you can pick them up for a few hundred dollars. You can also use them as a standards converter to convert NTSC to PAL which is sometimes handy.
!