Winternals 5.0

I have a crashed hard drive when booting reads; A disk read error
occurred, press ctrl+alt+del to restart. I have tried many different
things including making a cd boot disk "ERD Commander 2005" which was
told would fix the problem or at least enable me to copy over some
important files. After booting with the cd and arriving at the page
where you select the drive you want to fix and setting the time zone
etc. doesn't show any drives to choose from. Any suggestions where to
go from here? The hard drive is a western digital 4.3G and has win 2000
pro ntfs. Many thanks, David

You might try Spinrite. I've never userd it but a quick search at google
groups shows that a lot of people have had success with it. Good luck.
http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
Louis

<denglish48060@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a crashed hard drive when booting reads; A disk read error
> occurred, press ctrl+alt+del to restart. I have tried many different
> things including making a cd boot disk "ERD Commander 2005" which was
> told would fix the problem or at least enable me to copy over some
> important files. After booting with the cd and arriving at the page
> where you select the drive you want to fix and setting the time zone
> etc. doesn't show any drives to choose from. Any suggestions where to
> go from here? The hard drive is a western digital 4.3G and has win 2000
> pro ntfs. Many thanks, David

Spinrite 6.0 is an excellent program. However, before you attempt to
repair the drive be aware that in fixing drive inconsistencies the repair
itself may cause data loss. What you should probably do is try to add
the drive to a working XP system and try to backup your data or take
an image of the drive (if it is mountable/readable). If that doesn't work
then running Spinrite or a Chkdsk with repair is the correct approach.
Alternately I would download the drive manufacturer's diagnostic app
and run it to test the drive electronics and surface scan. Most of those
programs have a non-destructive test mode that can determine the
drive's health. If defective, it will sometimes generate an RMA (Return
Merchandise Authorization) for you.

"3c273" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> You might try Spinrite. I've never userd it but a quick search at google
> groups shows that a lot of people have had success with it. Good luck.
> http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
> Louis
>
> <denglish48060@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have a crashed hard drive when booting reads; A disk read error
>> occurred, press ctrl+alt+del to restart. I have tried many different
>> things including making a cd boot disk "ERD Commander 2005" which was
>> told would fix the problem or at least enable me to copy over some
>> important files. After booting with the cd and arriving at the page
>> where you select the drive you want to fix and setting the time zone
>> etc. doesn't show any drives to choose from. Any suggestions where to
>> go from here? The hard drive is a western digital 4.3G and has win 2000
>> pro ntfs. Many thanks, David

A 4.3gb hard drive is very old and probably died of old age. You may be able
to see it if you set it up as a slave drive and use something like Spinrite
to recover the data.

<denglish48060@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a crashed hard drive when booting reads; A disk read error
> occurred, press ctrl+alt+del to restart. I have tried many different
> things including making a cd boot disk "ERD Commander 2005" which was
> told would fix the problem or at least enable me to copy over some
> important files. After booting with the cd and arriving at the page
> where you select the drive you want to fix and setting the time zone
> etc. doesn't show any drives to choose from. Any suggestions where to
> go from here? The hard drive is a western digital 4.3G and has win 2000
> pro ntfs. Many thanks, David

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

denglish48060@gmail.com wrote:

> I have a crashed hard drive when booting reads; A disk read error
> occurred, press ctrl+alt+del to restart. I have tried many different
> things including making a cd boot disk "ERD Commander 2005" which was
> told would fix the problem or at least enable me to copy over some
> important files. After booting with the cd and arriving at the page
> where you select the drive you want to fix and setting the time zone
> etc. doesn't show any drives to choose from. Any suggestions where to
> go from here? The hard drive is a western digital 4.3G and has win 2000
> pro ntfs. Many thanks, David

If the data on that drive is important contact one of the data recovery
services such as www.ontrack.com or www.drivesavers.com. They are
expensive but good.

--
Rock